New Escape With No Camo

• ice-capades changed the title to New Escape With No Camo
22 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

https://www.motor1.com/news/592377/2023-ford-escape-spy-reveal/

The new front end helps, but not as much as I thought it would. Also, what were they thinking with that light bar?

I saw the article and photos at FordAuthority.com a few minutes ago. I don't know what Ford thinks they've accomplished with this update and that light bar serves no purpose and is just a distraction. 

Edited by ice-capades
Typo
  • Like 1

They got rid of all the black plastic that reeks of cost cutting. So it's a start. 

The Chinese Escape for reference... They look different but the treatment is very similar. 

1024px-Ford_Escape_China_003.jpg

new-2023-ford-escape-spy-shots.jpg

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I don’t think the light strip is necessary, it’s polarising and by that I mean it’s a feature that buyers will either love or hate. Not normally a good idea to do with a volume seller…..

For me, it looks like an afterthought. It’s not integrated into the design very well and it makes the top of the grille look unfinished. 

I don’t know if it’s the lack of black plastic, or the smaller headlights or grille, but the front end looks much lower to the ground now. The proportions of the whole thing seems to be slightly off.

I'm sure the lightbar will be only on Titanium or SEL. The SE will probably just have a chrome strip like the Chinese Escape. 

22 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

For me, it looks like an afterthought. It’s not integrated into the design very well and it makes the top of the grille look unfinished. 

I don’t know if it’s the lack of black plastic, or the smaller headlights or grille, but the front end looks much lower to the ground now. The proportions of the whole thing seems to be slightly off.

The headlight is now tucked under the hood instead of above it so it looks like the nose is pointed lower.

33 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

This is a Titanium, only trim to have the light bar. 

Make no mistake though, many future Fords will have this as a tie in to the electric Lightning look.

Man I hope not. The light bar on the lightning looks cheap as hell, not to mention every new Chevy EV has one too.

I don’t like it.  With all the completion in the segment, this is a boring also ran.  It’s like Ford intentionally made it unattractive to avoid selling them in large numbers and diluting the corporate profit margin.

light bar could just be for the hybrid models.  Make it change color based on whether the ice was running or not.

Just opinion here because looks are objective...I like it, just a touch as an improvement, but it's still "off", to me...not sure what's missing.  I think they aimed to make it less "delicate" than the previous person.  Make it different from Bronco Sport, but why are we aiming for Ovaltine.  But eh, could be worse... Let's see the interior, which is where the biggest improvement should be made since it was criticized by many for having a chintzy interior.

• Like 2

To a non Ford fan or non car enthusiast the changes are a little to subtle to really notice much difference from the current Escape. As the owner of a 21 Titanium hybrid I am fine with the looks of the current and the new Escape, but was gonna buy a Ford more likely than not matter what it looked like. I am pretty happy with my hybrid as a daily driver it is quite nice.  Also had an Escape SE as a rental a few week ago on vacation and was quite happy with that vehicle also. The Escape has grown on me. I understand sales are disappointing and better looks might help in this competitive segment. Agreed they should have went for bolder changes.  But maybe it was not meant to be.  Not in the budget for something that is rumored to be going away eventually anyway.  In other words, yes maybe Ford never meant to try that hard with this refresh in the first place since they are focused elsewhere. Just my thoughts. Still love my Escape.