$1 million worth of Ford Raptors stolen

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thieves-steal-nearly-1m-worth-121821081.html

An estimated $1 million worth of new 2022 Ford F-150 Raptor pickup trucks were stolen from a Dearborn Truck Plant storage lot, a Dearborn city official confirmed to the Free Press.

Ford reported the missing high-performance trucks, which have a base model price of $69,905, on June 10 with multiple calls to police during that weekend, Bilal Baydoun, City of Dearborn spokesman, said late Thursday.

Dearborn police have recovered 13 vehicles over the last week, mostly in Detroit and a couple in Dearborn, he said after speaking with the Dearborn police chief.

"There was evidence of fences being rammed," Baydoun said. "When they (trucks) were recovered, you could see signs of damage and some things were stripped away, tires, that kind of thing. They were in various states of disrepair."

One arrest has been made and the investigation remains open and active, Baydoun said. He did not release further details on the arrest.

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

This happens every year. I remember GT350's and TRX's getting stolen. There isn't the best security at these lots. Not sure where they will go but I bet they are already in a shipping container.

Within the last week 4 GT500s were taken from the FRAP lot. 

5 hours ago, Black Label said:

Wow. Well, I would say the 13 is probably the total number if you figure an average MSRP just under $80k. Odd to say a million dollars worth of vehicles. Nonetheless, imagine being one off the people waiting for months for a truck and this happens. 

Well it could of been 5 and they were factoring in dealer markup!!

• Haha 2

Now it sounds like 15 Raptors were stolen, may have been stripped of parts but easily refurbished with replacement parts. Flat Rock got hit too when six Mustangs were stolen but not long after, police caught

three perps, the idiots never lookedat the fuel gauge and were caught when the vehicles ran out of fuel.

Edited by jpd80

33 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

Unacceptable poor security but then again maybe it was some sort of inside job! This should NEVER happen at these assembly plants we all got security at our plants they need to do their damn job!

Catalytic Converters we're being stolen out of the MAP ISA main employee parking lot a few months ago. About 7-8 years ago my supervisor's brand new Super Duty was stolen from the parking lot. Saddest part about that one is Wayne Police are constantly up and down Michigan Ave. all day every day. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Catalytic Converters we're being stolen out of the MAP ISA main employee parking lot a few months ago. About 7-8 years ago my supervisor's brand new Super Duty was stolen from the parking lot. Saddest part about that one is Wayne Police are constantly up and down Michigan Ave. all day every day. 

We have had some incidents over the years up here as well and it makes me wonder why security doesn’t catch these things. I know all these plants have tons of cameras and plant security. I guess they can’t catch everything. That’s insane that catalytic converters we’re being stolen and a super duty I guess it’s low priority for the cops as well.

19 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Rim theft was common at my Army Reserve outpost. Yup, they'd come off the street onto a military installation with actual weapons stored there, and just take what they wanted.

If I wanted to steal from MAP, I'd go to the body shop parking lot off Van Born. Much more privacy back there.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:38 AM, Black Label said:

Wow. Well, I would say the 13 is probably the total number if you figure an average MSRP just under $80k. Odd to say a million dollars worth of vehicles. Nonetheless, imagine being one off the people waiting for months for a truck and this happens. 

Expressing the value of stolen goods usually seems to be in street or retail value: $1 million dollars of heroin seized, not xxx kg; $1million dollars of diamonds stolen not xx number or xxx carats etc. 

Conversely, recalls are the actual number of vehicles, rather than the retail value: 3 million recalled X $41,000 ATP = "$123 Billion Dollar's Worth of Fords Recalled." 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ford has got to get some better security 

Last thing Ford wants is security doing something and the thief ends of dead who was a "good student" "turning their life around" and was "just being a kid" and didn't deserve to die for just taking a car they had their whole life ahead of them. On top Worthy would charge the security guard for murder,  if they killed the Security guard a Judge would let them out as they can't afford bail and that is not fair they are poor and Ford would be in a PR nightmare and shaken down for 20+ Million dollars.  Much easier to just let them take them.

• Sad 1

The lots have reinforced gates and some have one way grates, they drive them through the fences or out the back of the lots. 

Personally I think it’s an inside job, seems odd they know exactly where the vehicles are when they are not boxed in by other trucks that would make it impossible to steal, that being said there is a group so they just over power security.

The guys who had their ATV and Bikes confiscated by Detroit police just over powered the guard and stole them from the police impound lot this past weekend. Guard opened fire on them as he was scared and he was fired and now may face weapons charges. 

Ford isn’t taking that risk, they put a small amount of fuel in them and calculate the loss and just raise the price of vehicles for everyone else to cover the cost. 

Could be worse, 10+ RAM/Chargers/Grand Cherokees are being stolen nightly from driveways all over metro Detroit. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The lots have reinforced gates and some have one way grates, they drive them through the fences or out the back of the lots. 

Personally I think it’s an inside job, seems odd they know exactly where the vehicles are when they are not boxed in by other trucks that would make it impossible to steal, that being said there is a group so they just over power security.

The guys who had their ATV and Bikes confiscated by Detroit police just over powered the guard and stole them from the police impound lot this past weekend. Guard opened fire on them as he was scared and he was fired and now may face weapons charges. 

Ford isn’t taking that risk, they put a small amount of fuel in them and calculate the loss and just raise the price of vehicles for everyone else to cover the cost. 

Could be worse, 10+ RAM/Chargers/Grand Cherokees are being stolen nightly from driveways all over metro Detroit. 

That raises the problem of how do you stop it-if the punishment is worth the risk, it’s going to keep happening. 

At what point do we say as a society enough is enough? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Some keep buying them only to keep getting stolen, apparently...