Spy shot Maverick PHEV

30 minutes ago, slemke said:

In Ford’s recent plant investment plans, a 2.xL engine was listed.  This could be the 2.1l found in the mule.

That's supposed to be an existing engine currently built in Spain.  Technically Valencia does build the 2.5L hybrid powertrains for European Kuga, they also build the 2.0L EB that is used in some NA factories.

Source: https://www.michiganbusiness.org/49c2df/globalassets/documents/msf-board/msf-board-packets/june-special-msf-packet.pdf

image.thumb.png.cf93d8d40a1dabf9eeed50bc4511d231.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, j2sys said:

That's supposed to be an existing engine currently built in Spain.  Technically Valencia does build the 2.5L hybrid powertrains for European Kuga, they also build the 2.0L EB that is used in some NA factories.

Source: https://www.michiganbusiness.org/49c2df/globalassets/documents/msf-board/msf-board-packets/june-special-msf-packet.pdf

image.thumb.png.cf93d8d40a1dabf9eeed50bc4511d231.png

Doesn’t Valencia also produce the 2.3L?  Surprised they didn’t just list the exact engine.   That’s why I’m thinking this is the 2.1L.  Another possibility is Ford is bumping the displacement of the 2.0L slightly similar to the Coyote when they went with the plasma lining instead of iron.

17 minutes ago, slemke said:

Doesn’t Valencia also produce the 2.3L?  Surprised they didn’t just list the exact engine.   That’s why I’m thinking this is the 2.1L.  Another possibility is Ford is bumping the displacement of the 2.0L slightly similar to the Coyote when they went with the plasma lining instead of iron.

Believe so.

Anything is possible and it could be that Dearborn is adding capacity for a new variant of an existing engine (e.g. 2.1L Atkinson Cycle hybrid engine).  They haven't announced the exact details.  Or a 2.1L FHEV could be separate from that, maybe even joining or replacing the 2.5L in Chihuahua, MX.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Could it be a mule for the next Gen US Transit connect? 

You may be on to something here. There hasn't been any TC mules/prototypes spotted, that I know of, so this could be it. Either that, or the Maverick-based utility project has been resurrected. Otherwise, why use a disguised bed cover like that with heavily-disguised camo on front and cab?

It's definitely an engineering mule but I'm not sure for what. Doubt that it is Transit Connect, which won't have IRS or AWD.

The simplest answer is that it is a Maverick PHEV mule - the photo doesn't show if it has a driveshaft so don't know if it is an new AWD PHEV system (with driveshaft) or adopting the system from Corsair that has electric motors driving the rear wheels only. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, j2sys said:

If it's a PHEV, why does it say (what looks like 2.1L) FHEV on the box on the door?

Because we think it says PHEV, not FHEV.  And I’ve never heard Ford use the term FHEV, only HEV.  The other giveaway is the increase in gross weight.

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

Because we think it says PHEV, not FHEV.  And I’ve never heard Ford use the term FHEV, only HEV.  The other giveaway is the increase in gross weight.

When read closely, it's FHEV, the close up makes that very clear, vs P758 above it, code for Maverick.

FHEV is Full Hybrid Electric Vehicle, as opposed to a mild or plug-in hybrid, a term very much used by Ford.  It's even on my Escape Hybrid order:

image.png.9c46220f8db03ede8f9324b9ef6af66c.png

Also used to describe Maverick on the tech specs PDF:

image.thumb.png.8df273df4e08007fbeb55421ffd8a664.png

Source: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/maverick/pdf/2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications.pdf

Edited by j2sys

6 hours ago, slemke said:

valencia also builds the 2.5 hybrid engine since 2021, this could explain a lot if Ford is expanding its FWD C2 hybrid production….

Regarding the 2.1L-the 2.5 engine is “old tech” it’s been in production since the original Escape hybrid and still in use today. I wonder if it will add a turbo or something else to improve performance like the downsized Nano V6 did. 

A PHEV making about 250+ HP without the hybrid motor would be nice. 

15 hours ago, j2sys said:

When read closely, it's FHEV, the close up makes that very clear, vs P758 above it, code for Maverick.

FHEV is Full Hybrid Electric Vehicle, as opposed to a mild or plug-in hybrid, a term very much used by Ford.  It's even on my Escape Hybrid order:

image.png.9c46220f8db03ede8f9324b9ef6af66c.png

Also used to describe Maverick on the tech specs PDF:

image.thumb.png.8df273df4e08007fbeb55421ffd8a664.png

Source: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/maverick/pdf/2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications.pdf

Ok, I’ll give you that one,  I did not remember seeing Ford use FHEV, only HEV.

But how do you explain the extra weight?

Edited by akirby

43 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ok, I’ll give you that one,  I did not remember seeing Ford use FHEV, only HEV.

But how do you explain the extra weight?

I don't.  I make no claims here, only observations, thus I'm not sure what I need to defend.  Don't know what the base weight figure includes exactly, don't know what the current setup is on the prototype.  Do know that there is the topper on the back, which if factored into the weight figure, easily adds a couple hundred pounds.  The wheels are aluminum vs. the base steel wheels, how do we account for that?

1790 kg per the # replacing the crossed out one in the picture is ~3946 lb, vs. the 3,674 lb stated for the Maverick FHEV FWD on the market today.  272 lb added.

3,675 lb == Maverick FHEV FWD on the market today

~3946 lb == 1790 kg (updated weight replacing the crossed-out version on the door of the prototype in the photos)

271 lb == added weight in the prototype

3,563 lb == Maverick 2.0L EB FWD

3,731 lb == Maverick 2.0L EB AWD

168 lb == Maverick added weight of AWD

3,534 lb == Escape FHEV FWD

3,668 lb == Escape FHEV AWD 

3,870 lb == Escape PHEV FWD

134 lb == Escape added weight FWD to AWD

336 lb == Escape added weight FHEV AWD system

Make of all this what you will.

On 6/18/2022 at 8:47 AM, j2sys said:

If it's a PHEV, why does it say (what looks like 2.1L) FHEV on the box on the door?

Current Maverick has the 2.5L FHEV FWD standard.

Maybe  the 1 was supposed to be an X?

a form of misdirection knowing the vehicle will be photographed…..

26 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Maybe  the 1 was supposed to be an X?

a form of misdirection knowing the vehicle will be photographed…..

Anything is possible.  It's odd to me seeing any of those specs scribbled on a box attached to the exterior of a vehicle roaming around the streets of Dearborn.  Same time, I don't really see the engineers doing something like that as a misdirection (2.1L vs. 2.0L like the last gen FHEV Fusion or 2.5L like the current Escape/Maverick/Corsair FHEV).

4 hours ago, j2sys said:

I don't.  I make no claims here, only observations, thus I'm not sure what I need to defend.  Don't know what the base weight figure includes exactly, don't know what the current setup is on the prototype.  Do know that there is the topper on the back, which if factored into the weight figure, easily adds a couple hundred pounds.  The wheels are aluminum vs. the base steel wheels, how do we account for that?

1790 kg per the # replacing the crossed out one in the picture is ~3946 lb, vs. the 3,674 lb stated for the Maverick FHEV FWD on the market today.  272 lb added.

3,675 lb == Maverick FHEV FWD on the market today

~3946 lb == 1790 kg (updated weight replacing the crossed-out version on the door of the prototype in the photos)

271 lb == added weight in the prototype

3,563 lb == Maverick 2.0L EB FWD

3,731 lb == Maverick 2.0L EB AWD

168 lb == Maverick added weight of AWD

3,534 lb == Escape FHEV FWD

3,668 lb == Escape FHEV AWD 

3,870 lb == Escape PHEV FWD

134 lb == Escape added weight FWD to AWD

336 lb == Escape added weight FHEV AWD system

Make of all this what you will.

About 1/2 the weight for Awd.  Maybe Awd with a larger battery pack.  If Awd is provided by electric only assist, that could explain the weight difference along with a slightly larger battery.

Another option might be Ford switching to LFP to save cost.  Since it isn’t as energy dense, a larger heavier battery is needed.

46 minutes ago, j2sys said:

Anything is possible.  It's odd to me seeing any of those specs scribbled on a box attached to the exterior of a vehicle roaming around the streets of Dearborn.  Same time, I don't really see the engineers doing something like that as a misdirection (2.1L vs. 2.0L like the last gen FHEV Fusion or 2.5L like the current Escape/Maverick/Corsair FHEV).

Think about it,

None of that info is needed on the vehicle……so you tell me why would someone scribble those details on the box for others to see when the rest of the parts are caped/ covered up…

38 minutes ago, slemke said:

About 1/2 the weight for Awd.  Maybe Awd with a larger battery pack.  If Awd is provided by electric only assist, that could explain the weight difference along with a slightly larger battery.

Another option might be Ford switching to LFP to save cost.  Since it isn’t as energy dense, a larger heavier battery is needed.

Yes we know that Ford is switching to LFP but that could also be why a PHEV is possible 

20 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Think about it,

None of that info is needed on the vehicle……so you tell me why would someone scribble those details on the box for others to see when the rest of the parts are caped/ covered up…

Someone removed the covering on the box to leak info to the press….builds excitement for what is upcoming.

33 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Think about it,

Did think about it and called it odd, but that's as a software engineer, not a powertrain engineer or whomever was working on this unit.  I don't know if this is a normal thing but I haven't seen it before in the spy cam shots of other prototypes I've seen over the years. :) 

It just seems awfully specific in the details scribbled down for something meant to be leaked.  Also don't really see the engineers being in on a plan to leak vague details of a product in development.  Marketing, maybe, but product development?

Edited by j2sys