Bronco Raptor reviews trickling out

Someone finally mentioned what I found cool nobody talked about! 1,000 internet points to whoever figures it out. Cool engineering deep dive as well. 

https://www.theautopian.com/how-ford-engineered-the-2022-ford-bronco-raptor-to-be-a-ridiculously-hardcore-purpose-built-off-road-monster/

Car blog that hates cars has a surprisingly glowing review for them

Detroit News

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

55 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Someone finally mentioned what I found cool nobody talked about! 1,000 internet points to whoever figures it out. Cool engineering deep dive as well. 

https://www.theautopian.com/how-ford-engineered-the-2022-ford-bronco-raptor-to-be-a-ridiculously-hardcore-purpose-built-off-road-monster/

Car blog that hates cars has a surprisingly glowing review for them

Detroit News

Was it the one-pedal driving?  Or maybe the increased tow rating?

This is one awesome machine!

3 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Well yeah, those things are priceless!  ?

"SMC composite front fenders and rear quarter panels"  ??

9EE90931-492F-41F1-A016-9E37F55A4A9A.gif

He didn't mention it but the hood is too. I can see people being mad about that. "70 grand gets me plastic fenders?!?!" Even though they're a bit heavier than the base sheet metal ones, They’re much more durable. I like them better too, less of a chance of cutting myself on the edges. 

If it's good enough for NASCAR, it's good enough for me. 

Edit to cover my ass

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Y'all must really want them internet points ?

honestly that article was so detailed about the suspension that I didn’t understand, I kinda tuned out halfway through reading haha.

?

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, akirby said:

Jump mode?

Changes rear shock absorbers so it doesn’t “mule kick” when completing a jump.

Roll steer thing has to do with cornering at speed, reduces the body rolling outwards and shifting weight about the cog, think Toyota Hilux or Tacoma on a zig zag course falling over itself………

Edited by jpd80

54 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Changes rear shock absorbers so it doesn’t “mule kick” when completing a jump.

Roll steer thing has to do with cornering at speed, reduces the body rolling outwards and shifting weight about the cog, think Toyota Hilux or Tacoma on a zig zag course falling over itself……

I know what they are - I was trying to guess what Fuzzy was talking about.

This vehicle is pretty amazing. The engineering that went in to make this is really something special. It really highlights how complex a vehicle can be when the envelope is pushed. Some folks will never like it because it doesn't have a V8 sound or won't beat a 392 Wrangler in a drag race. If you want that, you can buy a 392 or have an aftermarket company drop in a V8 into a Wrangler to race at stoplights and listen to the sound. Everyone has their tastes and preferences. To me, the "Braptor" screaming deal at the entry price around 70k. Some folks were hitting 60k ish MSRP for First Editions and Wildtraks. Obviously we aren't discussing mark ups which will be insane for the foreseeable future.

Most of the reviews are from the Palm Springs event and most seemed positive.  My two favorite videos are from Tommy at TFL and David Tracy at Autopian. Both off road nerds. Tommy had the most pragmatic view in that, if you off road in tight quarters maybe with not a lot of space the Braptor might not be for you.  

Bottom line: They hit a homerun.....just in time for a recession. Very similar to the first Raptor.

• Like 1

But don’t tell anyone it wasn’t designed in America

That link fuzzy posted is brilliant explanation of what’s there.

I remember talking to one of the engineers when developing T6 Ranger in the early days, some days are great and some days you learn a lot. Bronco is a thoroughly thought out product and you can see why the reason to do it first off next Gen T6 was critical to getting all the small but important features and engineering paths right. The great part is the other two T6s, Ranger and Everest benefit so much from what was done for Bronco. Things that would be hard to justify with one vehicle are made much easier when considered as modules or packages.

You guys will never see the diesels but I can tell you they are a big hit in rest of the world where fuel economy is real important.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2