'22 JDPower Initial Quality Study

Since this is in the Ford Motor Company Discussion Forum, here are the Ford models that ranked among the top 3 in their segments.

• Bronco Sport - 3rd place in Small SUV 
  • Lincoln Nautilus - 1st place in Midsize Premium SUV
  • Ford Ranger - 1st place in Midsize Pickup
  • Ford F-150 - 3rd place in Large Light Duty Pickup
  • Ford F-Series Super Duty - 2nd place in Large Heavy Duty Pickup 

Ford and Lincoln finished above Honda and Toyota.  Honda was even below average.  With the big spread between Hyundai and Kia, what’s the margin of error?  Not that it really matters as almost every brand on the list has 1-2 problems per vehicle.  Buy what you want and enjoy it.

2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Interesting that Nautilus takes top spot in premium midsize and Explorer built in same plant doesn't even get 3rd???

Also which Buicks are built in China??

Lincoln Nautilus is based on, and built alongside, Ford Edge at Oakville Assembly in Canada.

Lincoln Aviator is based on, and built alongside, Ford Explorer at Chicago Assembly in Illinois.

Lincoln Corsair is based on, and built alongside, Ford Escape at Louisville Assembly in Kentucky.

Edited by j2sys
Louisville is in KY, not Canada ?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Interesting that Nautilus takes top spot in premium midsize and Explorer built in same plant doesn't even get 3rd???

Also which Buicks are built in China??

Buick Envision is imported  from China (SAIC-GM)

Buick Encore and Encore GX, Chevrolet Spark, Trax, & Trailblazer are imported from South Korea (Incheon, GM Korea)

Buick Enclave  and Chevrolet Traverse are made at Lansing (MI) Delta Township Assembly

Edited by Chrisgb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, j2sys said:

Lincoln Nautilus is based on, and built alongside, Ford Edge at Oakville Assembly in Canada.

Lincoln Aviator is based on, and built alongside, Ford Explorer at Chicago Assembly in Illinois.

Lincoln Corsair is based on, and built alongside, Ford Escape at Louisville Assembly in Canada.

The world is in upheaval, but Louisville is still in Kentucky Wink.jpeg.df7945abb4d388d49c5a141cacac56d4.jpeg

Edited by Chrisgb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, j2sys said:

Lincoln Corsair is based on, and built alongside, Ford Escape at Louisville Assembly in Canada.

J2-THX another "senior moment"  I'm always confusing Aviator with Nautilus.  One of my sons has a new Explorer-built within last month or two...very impressive!  My daughter  in law loves it-and it replaces a 2017 EB Expedition.  No regrets!

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2022 at 2:01 PM, akirby said:

This is heavily impacted by dealer prep.  And remember the difference in top and bottom is 1.5 to 2.5 problems per vehicle on average.  So everybody has a dealer visit to fix 1, 2 or 3 problems.

That's not really true, in reality.  A majority of these "problems" are things people complain about but aren't necessarily things that require trips to the dealer.  For instance, many of the "problems" are infotainment related and because some old geezer can't figure out how to pair the bluetooth, they mark it as a "problem" on the survey.  

JD Power is a very reputable firm and does a much better job with these quality surveys than Consumer Reports who are frauds, but all of these studies need to be taken with a grain of salt.  The sample sizes on these surveys are so small that's why you get a lot of variability from year to year as well.  

I spent several years of my Ford Motor Co life in Product Development and also Marketing Analytics where we went over these surveys with a fine tooth comb.  Needless to say the info was interesting, but it was more of a customer satisfaction survey as opposed to really telling us what was a real defect.  These surveys on our own vehicles also had no correlation to warranty repairs, either.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, iamweasel said:

That's not really true, in reality.  A majority of these "problems" are things people complain about but aren't necessarily things that require trips to the dealer.  For instance, many of the "problems" are infotainment related and because some old geezer can't figure out how to pair the bluetooth, they mark it as a "problem" on the survey.  

JD Power is a very reputable firm and does a much better job with these quality surveys than Consumer Reports who are frauds, but all of these studies need to be taken with a grain of salt.  The sample sizes on these surveys are so small that's why you get a lot of variability from year to year as well.  

I spent several years of my Ford Motor Co life in Product Development and also Marketing Analytics where we went over these surveys with a fine tooth comb.  Needless to say the info was interesting, but it was more of a customer satisfaction survey as opposed to really telling us what was a real defect.  These surveys on our own vehicles also had no correlation to warranty repairs, either.  

Thanks for the insight.  I was taking a worst case view.  Nobody is really perfect and the worst aren’t all that bad in comparison.

We bought a used 3 day old 2012 Focus with 100 miles because the older couple couldn’t figure out how to use myfordtouch.  I guess they wanted am push buttons,  

1 hour ago, iamweasel said:

I can tell you this from recent experience. My F150 2021 Powerboost is the worst truck I have owned in 45 years. 50 days out of service after it was lost 7 months waiting for chips. 7 trips to the service department and it was like pulling teeth to get them to trouble shoot the issues. One was a vibration/ shuddering at 65 MPH . Tech stated he test drove twice the truck and could not duplicate. Problem is the truck only had 6 miles added to the odometer from the day I dropped it. Tech later admitted he never drove it, was only looking for a code.  The ironic thing after I went through the lemon law process and won a buyback, Ford now has a recall or TSB for every issue I was experiencing.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

We bought a used 3 day old 2012 Focus with 100 miles because the older couple couldn’t figure out how to use myfordtouch.  I guess they wanted am push buttons,  

Smart move on that couple's part. The epic, unmitigated disaster known as MyFordTouch caused Ford to fall from 5th place in the 2010 J.D. Power IQS down to 23rd in 2011, and further down to 28th in 2012.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Smart move on that couple's part. The epic, unmitigated disaster known as MyFordTouch caused Ford to fall from 5th place in the 2010 J.D. Power IQS down to 23rd in 2011, and further down to 28th in 2012.

I know all about the MFT launch.  I was moderating the Edge forum which was the very first vehicle with MFT in late 2010 and I owned a 2012 Focus and 2013 Fusion with MFT.   By mid 2012 when we bought the Focus it was fairly stable and we only experienced a few lockups until they finally stabilized it for good in mid 2013.  The first year was really bad but after that it was just a minor inconvenience.

• Like 1