New VW Amorok Revealed

E48FFB76-4053-4122-8A51-B05C9A7E7927.webphttps://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2023-volkswagen-amarok-revealed-everything-you-need-to-know

By Scott Collie and Mike Costello

Volkswagen has finally revealed its all-new Amarok ute, ahead of its anticipated arrival in Australia early in 2023. 

The new Amarok is built on the same platform as the Ford Ranger, with power from a choice of five engines.

Single- and dual-cab bodies will be offered depending on market, with a payload up to (almost) 1.2 tonnes and a braked towing capacity up to 3.5 tonnes.

AD4B0F33-80C4-468E-A98C-04BF8E07D4D6.jpeg

B38C1F99-EBF1-4B3A-AD3E-BFC8A9A2B0A0.jpeg

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

Looks like an evolution of the last gen Ranger without the F-series influence.

Yes, interesting that from a styling standpoint, 2nd generation Amarok seems to be more an evolution of the last gen Ranger than an evolution of the 1st gen Amarok.

1600px-2019_Volkswagen_Amarok_Highline_V

I like it. It has a more premium and aggressive look than the ranger (except for the raptor). I like the interior better than the ranger too, especially the switch gear below the screen, however the rangers knobs should be more useful. Ranger also has better cup holder placement. This should do well for VW. If it were sold in the USA, I’d probably pick it over any ranger trim that’s not a tremor or raptor.

That's basically a Ranger/Mazda B Series re-style/re-badge like they did in the 90s-00s. It's also pretty close to what VW did to the Chrysler minivan when they made the Routan. I'm guessing you open the hood and will be greeted by FoMoCo stickers all over it. Oh well I didn't expect them to do much more then this and I don't think it's coming to North America anyhow.

3 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

I can see someone lay their hand on the shifter and reaching upwards onto the screen hits the infotainment power button on/off with their knuckle....

I doubt that……

92981A6B-4492-48C5-8654-A96DFFC2D983.jpeg

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

OMG, the truck bed is tiny. DW's Escape, with the seats down, has more storage than this.

It may have a stated payload of over 1-ton, but having carried many loads of gravel, soil, etc in my F-350 DRW, you would be hard pressed to fit that much weight in such a small bed.

1 hour ago, Rangers09 said:

OMG, the truck bed is tiny. DW's Escape, with the seats down, has more storage than this.

It may have a stated payload of over 1-ton, but having carried many loads of gravel, soil, etc in my F-350 DRW, you would be hard pressed to fit that much weight in such a small bed.

Same size as the current Ranger.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Also, a mere cubic yard of dry dirt weighs almost a ton and that bed would hold at least 2 yards.

Edited by akirby

4 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

No but you could probably put a box in there that weighs over a ton, keep in mind that 99% of crew cab buyers aren’t into hauling cow shit and stones…in this instance, “payload” is more about having enough GVM reserve with four passengers to still be able to tow near 7,000 lbs.

I do find it interesting that Ford is looking at putting a longer bed on the North American crew cab Ranger, something like Chevrolet Colorado offers as an option….that could definitely work.

And you could see why VW’s North American manager was openly pissed off that Ford wouldn’t let VW sell the Ranger based Amorok in North America and why VW then went off and developed a BEV that wil use the Scout name…..

Edited by jpd80

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Also, a mere cubic yard of dry dirt weighs almost a ton and that bed would hold at least 2 yards.

My F-350 and F-450 with the 8' bed is about 3 cubic yards, so I checked the dimensions of the VW, and it shows the bed is 5' with a cubic capacity of 1.25 cubic yards. In the photos the box looked much shorter than 5'.

Having picked up many loads of dirt/soil, I have yet to find any dry soil locally. A couple yards of our local soil would almost max out my F-350 DRW 4x2, weighing close to 5,000 lbs.

11 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

My F-350 and F-450 with the 8' bed is about 3 cubic yards, so I checked the dimensions of the VW, and it shows the bed is 5' with a cubic capacity of 1.25 cubic yards. In the photos the box looked much shorter than 5'.

Having picked up many loads of dirt/soil, I have yet to find any dry soil locally. A couple yards of our local soil would almost max out my F-350 DRW 4x2, weighing close to 5,000 lbs.

I forgot to deduct for the wheel wells, but you can still go a little above the top of the bed so closer to 1.5 cy.  Still easy to put a ton into it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

Not mad at it, don't like the sides on the bed up to the cab, but I guess they'll offer without that. Unless it's structural?

Are you talking about the sail panel behind the cab? That's carryover from the Ranger Wildtrak... Kind of a signature look actually on the most expensive Ranger outside North America.

1024px-2019_Ford_Ranger_Wildtrak_T6_rear

946767.jpg