2022 navigator engine cover

Hi, we just got our 2022 reserve navigator to replace our 2019 navigator that Lincoln bought back. I went through the vehicle inside and outside and everything looked great at the dealer.  Now 2 weeks later I am trying to use up a jug of windshield washer fluid that I am tired of looking at in the garage, so I pop the hood for the first time.  I am shocked that there is no decorative cover over the engine like my 2019.  Is that just how they are doing them now or did it get forgotten?  Thanks 

16A7B974-270D-47AE-8566-ACF7EA5DE305.thumb.jpeg.6c7c06aa17cb0b3e082b4c1dfef057a3.jpeg

It's a thing Ford does.

They launch a vehicle with an engine cover.

They remove it as part of cost-cutting.

It exists as a sacrificial part for cost-cutting.  Corporate bureaucracy at its finest.

Been doing it over a decade.  MK3 Focus had one, yet by the time my March 2012 build rolled down the line, they'd already stopped installing them.

Edited by j2sys

Strange.   I was concerned it was something skipped due to supply chain as I got an email from Lincoln a few days after it shipped saying they were not including the parking module in the vehicle and here is $300 off msrp for your inconvenience.  Thank you guys both for the quick reply

• 2 weeks later...

Some people say it is for cost cutting. I don't know where they get that first-hand information since Ford/Lincoln says they removed the covers due to problems caused by excess heat inside the engine because of the covers. Is Ford just flat out lying? Aren't there groups out there that would just pounce on that sort of thing?

So, do we believe the people we trust to build the vehicles we love and purchase or anonymous interwebs folks? The choice is yours. Either way, no more appearance covers. 

Also, it is hard to imagine that Ford/Lincoln would skimp on something that I think is very low cost on vehicles at these price points. If they are being cheap, is there not another way to go about being cheap?

Edited by Black Label

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

Some people say it is for cost cutting. I don't know where they get that first-hand information since Ford/Lincoln says they removed the covers due to problems caused by excess heat inside the engine because of the covers. Is Ford just flat out lying? Aren't there groups out there that would just pounce on that sort of thing?

So, do we believe the people we trust to build the vehicles we love and purchase or anonymous interwebs folks? The choice is yours. Either way, no more appearance covers. 

Also, it is hard to imagine that Ford/Lincoln would skimp on something that I think is very low cost on vehicles at these price points. If they are being cheap, is there not another way to go about being cheap?

If it was an overheating problem there would be a TSB and I don’t remember seeing one.  Outside of a TSB Ford would never comment on such a thing.  Who said it was overheating - a Ford employee or a dealer?  

Given all the other things Ford has done for cost cutting including removing actual features I’d say it’s a 95% probability.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

If it was an overheating problem there would be a TSB and I don’t remember seeing one.  Outside of a TSB Ford would never comment on such a thing.  Who said it was overheating - a Ford employee or a dealer?  

Given all the other things Ford has done for cost cutting including removing actual features I’d say it’s a 95% probability.

I read it either somewhere on this forum or another. 

Let me put it this way. I don't see it as a big deal. I have had my 2022 since April 22. I have opened the hood maybe 3 times. I didn't cry when it wasn't there. Lol

It it was cut for cost savings that just seems chicken **** on a $100k+ Vehicle.  If it was for other reason I get it but cost for a piece of plastic on Lincoln’s flagship vehicle after all of their price increases seems just wrong. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chicken said:

It it was cut for cost savings that just seems chicken **** on a $100k+ Vehicle.  If it was for other reason I get it but cost for a piece of plastic on Lincoln’s flagship vehicle after all of their price increases seems just wrong. 

A dollar saved is a dollar saved regardless of price.   But I agree they should just raise prices rather than decontenting all these features.