Ford Quality Czar Says Issues Should Subside in 2023

1 hour ago, Hard Driver said:

Are you serious? I am embarrassed by the questions I have gotten by friends who have purchased Fords recently and have recalls and a family member who has been waiting for a Bronco since late January. By the time he gets it it looks like it will be " a last model year". I continuously hope that no one asks me about buying a Ford.

I've always encouraged my kids to by Ford and they have. Unfortunately one recently had such a poor experience with quality and dealer treatment with a 2017 Escape that she just bought a Toyota. Up to this point she always bought Fords.

Keep cutting heads Farley! 

As Ford develops and starts to implement plans for future products, it's common for Ford to bulk up hiring for staff to be dedicated to developing and implementing those plans further. Once those plans are developed and implemented further, Ford discovers that staffing needs change in order to meet the objectives. As a result, staff reductions can be made across multiple job descriptions including a change in the mix of staff talent deemed desirable to meet the revised goals and objectives. 

The post-buying experience is a different matter, especially regarding the experience at the dealership level. A long-delayed OTD (Order-to-Delivery) timeframe, especially for a Bronco, is beyond the dealership's control and which Ford has addressed on a regular basis including incentives to the retail customers affected.

A poor dealership experience is a different matter but without additional information it can't be addressed here and can't necessarily be blamed on Ford directly.   

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Speaking strictly from a business standpoint, one is a certain cost and one is a gamble.  If you don’t have major problems it’s cheaper.  If you do it's more expensive and pisses off owners.  

The real problem is the cost savings from not doing it is realized today while the cost of doing it wrong comes years later.  At one time Ford was holding the product team accountable throughout the life of the vehicle but that’s hard to do.

And that is why the quality will never be fixed at Ford. It really is an archaic way to do business IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, ice-capades said:

As Ford develops and starts to implement plans for future products, it's common for Ford to bulk up hiring for staff to be dedicated to developing and implementing those plans further. Once those plans are developed and implemented further, Ford discovers that staffing needs change in order to meet the objectives. As a result, staff reductions can be made across multiple job descriptions including a change in the mix of staff talent deemed desirable to meet the revised goals and objectives. 

This is an interesting insight. It appears that instead of hiring a staff that has a broad base of talent to address a variety of challenges, Ford focuses staffing more on the crises of the day. One day the crisis could be that its products are too old and behind the market, the next day could mean focusing on quality control and the supply chain of the current products. It seems like a chaotic way of doing business, since these days there will be more than one crisis at a time. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, coupe3w said:

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/ford-recall-suv/2022/11/24/id/1097876/

A software fix and a shield? Just a band aid fix. We are talking fire here folks. Guess they really are fixing the quality issues the right way.....NOT!

Thanks for sharing this latest recall at Ford coupe3w. Here are more details. Bronco Sport Escape Fuel Injector (ford.com)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coupe3w said:

I thought Farley was going to fix this stuff. The right way to fix it is to replace the injectors with a better part., but as usual Ford is taking the easy way out and still may have a risk of a fire. This is a stupid fix.

Jim Farley is trying to fix things the right way, but he's up against Ford's corporate culture which has been characterized by making the same mistakes over and over and by "taking the easy way out" for over 100 years. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I thought Farley was going to fix this stuff. The right way to fix it is to replace the injectors with a better part., but as usual Ford is taking the easy way out and still may have a risk of a fire. This is a stupid fix.

I’m not sure I understand why this is a stupid fix.  It seems like Ford doesn’t have replacement injectors, so they are implementing a temporary fix until they get the replacement parts.  What am I missing?

25 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

I’m not sure I understand why this is a stupid fix.  It seems like Ford doesn’t have replacement injectors, so they are implementing a temporary fix until they get the replacement parts.  What am I missing?

I didn't read where it said "temporary fix" any where did you?

I'm affected by this (2021 Bronco Sport), so I'm paying attention.  For now, I'm concerned, but not overly worried.  We're taking 20 reported fires over 634,000 vehicles.  I wonder if the vendor supplied faulty injectors?  I'll be checking my fuel injectors this afternoon and calling my dealer Monday morning.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I'm affected by this (2021 Bronco Sport), so I'm paying attention.  For now, I'm concerned, but not overly worried.  We're taking 20 reported fires over 634,000 vehicles.  I wonder if the vendor supplied faulty injectors?  I'll be checking my fuel injectors this afternoon and calling my dealer Monday morning.

You should be concerned especially if you park in a garage. It could take your house with it. Just think it could happen. I know if I owned one it would stay outside till I got this band aid fix.

• Like 1

You should be concerned especially if you park in a garage. It could take your house with it. Just think it could happen. I know if I owned one it would stay outside till I got this band aid fix.

No need for that.  Just checked the injectors.  Easy to do, they're right up front and easy to see.  They look like they just left the factory.  Not even a hint of any possible leakage.  Which doesn't surprise me, since we're only talking 20 cases over 634,000 vehicles.  

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Dafuq is Forest River? 

2 hours ago, coupe3w said:

Da make trailers

Adding to what coupe3w mentioned, Forest River Inc. is based in the Elkhart, Indiana area, "RV capital of the world".

Example recall. Fresh water tanks dislodging from some of the company's travel trailers (Wildwood, Salem, and Ozark). RCMN-22V729-4094.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

ImageHandler.ashx?ImageID=12265

Edited by rperez817

11 hours ago, coupe3w said:

I didn't read where it said "temporary fix" any where did you?

From the article:

Repairs are not available yet, but after owners are notified and take their vehicles into dealers, the vehicle's engine software will be updated to detect for fuel injector leaks. The dealer will also install a tube that drains fuel from the cylinder head and away from hot surfaces. Ford said if a pressure drop in the fuel rail is detected, engine power will be automatically reduced to minimize risk.

Since repairs are not available yet, I thought they were describing a temporary fix.  Perhaps I misunderstood.  If that is the permanent fix, then I agree that this is a stupid fix. 

10 hours ago, CurtisH said:

From the article:

Repairs are not available yet, but after owners are notified and take their vehicles into dealers, the vehicle's engine software will be updated to detect for fuel injector leaks. The dealer will also install a tube that drains fuel from the cylinder head and away from hot surfaces. Ford said if a pressure drop in the fuel rail is detected, engine power will be automatically reduced to minimize risk.

Since repairs are not available yet, I thought they were describing a temporary fix.  Perhaps I misunderstood.  If that is the permanent fix, then I agree that this is a stupid fix. 

That's what I thought too!

Obviously they’re replacing the faulty injectors.  If the fix prevents fire and alerts the driver of a possible leak so the injectors can be replaced that’s a good solution IF the incident rate is actually that low (0.05%).  It’s stupid to replace 2 million fuel injectors if only a few hundred are bad IF you can prevent fires.

29 minutes ago, akirby said:

Obviously they’re replacing the faulty injectors.  If the fix prevents fire and alerts the driver of a possible leak so the injectors can be replaced that’s a good solution IF the incident rate is actually that low (0.05%).  It’s stupid to replace 2 million fuel injectors if only a few hundred are bad IF you can prevent fires.

I just knew you would say that. If it was your house and car that burned down I think you would sing a different tune. Fix the issue don't band aid it.

35 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

I just knew you would say that. If it was your house and car that burned down I think you would sing a different tune. Fix the issue don't band aid it.

At this point I would trust the fix until proven otherwise because it makes sense from an engineering standpoint.  And this isn’t the kind of thing that would cause a fire after it’s shut down and sitting in the garage.  The engine has to be hot and running.

Until then I would be parking it outside.

Vitesco is the responsible supplier. They were spun off by Continental AG a year or so ago! I also read that Continental was trying to spin them off since 2019, but the pandemic delayed the spin off!

Now, anyone with the new 1.5.. 3 Cylinder engine will get a software update and a drain tube to keep the fuel away from the hot engine...if the Vitesco fuel injector cracks. Recall letters will be mailed around December 9th. 

https://cararac.com/blog/ford-1-5-ecoboost-dragon-engine-problems-durability.html

• Thanks 1

As mentioned, I own a Bronco Sport with this engine.  I got to say again how easy it is to visibly check the fuel injectors.  They're right up top and facing the radiator. You can literally get your eyes within a few inches of the injectors.  I put on my old-man glasses, grabbed a flashlight, and checked out the injector and fuel rail.  Bone dry as the Sahara Desert.  No odor of gas, no visible seepage, and no signs of old gas (gas leaves a residue when it dries) on any surface.  For me, I'm not going to worry about it.  For others who own a vehicle with this engine, I encourage to look for yourself.  It's easy, and will give you peace of mind, or alert you as to a possible problem.

As for a house fire, we live in rural northern Michigan and burn wood.  I stand a greater chance of a having a chimney fire than having a fire caused by our Bronco Sport.

• Like 1