Pilot stations to have Fast-Chargers

Good  for themTravel plazas should be able to eventually make tis a profitable revenue stream as charging time come down.You pull into a Pilot or Flying J with 9% charge, plug in and while you are eating at the in house food franchise, do a load of laundry, get a haircut, legal advice, you are getting charged up to 80% in under an hour. Still not as practical as ICE, but better. I haven't read about any motel groups signing up, but that, too would make sense.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

Good  for themTravel plazas should be able to eventually make tis a profitable revenue stream as charging time come down.You pull into a Pilot or Flying J with 9% charge, plug in and while you are eating at the in house food franchise, do a load of laundry, get a haircut, legal advice, you are getting charged up to 80% in under an hour. Still not as practical as ICE, but better. I haven't read about any motel groups signing up, but that, too would make sense.

This makes more sense than trying to find a charger next to a regular restaurant.  Still need faster charge times with the next Gen batteries so you can get more vehicle throughput.

And it does nothing away from interstates and major highways.

I'd happily spend my time at any Pilot instead of that shady Walmart in Huber Heights, OH.

I just hope they're putting enough in. Right now I don't have trouble finding spots, but as more and more vehicles are electrified, it becomes a PITA. Hell, I don't even like filling up my ICE vehicles at Costco because waiting in those lines suck, and they move pretty quickly given how many folks are waiting.

5 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

I haven't read about any motel groups signing up, but that, too would make sense.

I don't know of any hotel/motel chains signing up for GM's Ultium Charge 360 program, but Choice Hotels International (Ascend, Cambria, Comfort, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Quality Inn, MainStay Suites, WoodSpring Suites, Econo Lodge, Rodeway Inn) partnered with EOS Linx to install solar powered EV charging stations at hotel and motel parking lots. Installations took place earlier this year at Choice Hotels properties in Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Nashville. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/eos-linx-and-choice-hotels-to-bring-ev-charging-stations-to-select-properties-301473824.html 

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I don't know of any hotel/motel chains signing up for GM's Ultium Charge 360 program, but Choice Hotels International (Ascend, Cambria, Comfort, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Quality Inn, MainStay Suites, WoodSpring Suites, Econo Lodge, Rodeway Inn) partnered with EOS Linx to install solar powered EV charging stations at hotel and motel parking lots. Installations took place earlier this year at Choice Hotels properties in Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Nashville. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/eos-linx-and-choice-hotels-to-bring-ev-charging-stations-to-select-properties-301473824.html 

I assume these are CCS chargers. It doesn't really matter which network they're on, as long as they work on your vehicle. We're not talking about proprietary charging plugs/systems like Tesla's.

54 minutes ago, AGR said:

I assume these are CCS chargers. It doesn't really matter which network they're on, as long as they work on your vehicle. We're not talking about proprietary charging plugs/systems like Tesla's.

You can use CCS and still limit who can use them - Rivian is doing this. 

15 hours ago, AGR said:

I assume these are CCS chargers.

EOS Linx claims its charging stations work with "all electric vehicles built on the universal J1772 and CHAdeMO charging standards". That suggests compatibility with Level 2 AC (5-pin J1772), CCS DC Fast Charging (7-pin J1772), and CHAdeMO (10-pin) connectors.