Hau Thai-Tang to Retire

3 hours ago, AM222 said:

Wasn't he part of this?  Ford's future EV architecture?

Electric-bronco.jpg

He's turning 56 this year by the way. Not sure if you'd consider that young considering how a lot of guys in the auto Industry seem to retire in their early/mid 60s.

He still has 11-14 years until he can collect full social security.  9 years until Medicare eligible.  401k is normally 59, but you can start making withdrawals at 55 under certain circumstances.  An office/management job is a lot different than one that requires physical labor.  Many of the white collar workers who retired early had some sort of pension.  Many of my engineering friends who retired with pensions in their mid 50s went on to have a second career while “double dipping” getting a pension.  He still has a 10 to 15 year career ahead of him if he wants it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, slemke said:

He still has 11-14 years until he can collect full social security.  9 years until Medicare eligible.  401k is normally 59, but you can start making withdrawals at 55 under certain circumstances.  An office/management job is a lot different than one that requires physical labor.  Many of the white collar workers who retired early had some sort of pension.  Many of my engineering friends who retired with pensions in their mid 50s went on to have a second career while “double dipping” getting a pension.  He still has a 10 to 15 year career ahead of him if he wants it.

I don't think someone like him is worried about collecting social security or Medicare 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't think someone like him is worried about collecting social security or Medicare 

Touché   He may not be ready to give up the large paychecks either.  Never know what he did with his money during his career and what lifestyle he become accustomed to.  He’s at the top of his earning potential and can easily extend his career if he so chooses.  I fully expect him to surface somewhere.

Even Mark Fields managed to get a CEO job after leaving Ford.

Edited by slemke
  • Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 12:24 AM, slemke said:

The guy has $18 million including a ton of Ford stock he can exercise anytime he likes..

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The guy has $18 million including a ton of Ford stock he can exercise anytime he likes..

Somehow I feel like social security is a drop in the bucket for a guy like him.  Though at his age, he may well be bored if he were to retire early instead of pursuing a new career.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 4:32 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

The biggest one will be starting pay. I've never seen so many people go through orientation just to never come back after their first real day on the line because you can make just as much money pretty much anywhere else and not beat the dog fu*k out of your body. What people who have never done this type of work before don't understand just how much we deal with physically. Why would I put myself through that when I can make almost as much at Wendy's and get a hiring bonus at the same time? 

The last couple yrs you don't even know what time your working till. Start times are set but they can work you up till 10.3hrs a day if they want. Or send you home any time. Then force you to work a Saturday for only 4hrs on occasions. 

2 hours ago, jose said:

The last couple yrs you don't even know what time your working till. Start times are set but they can work you up till 10.3hrs a day if they want. Or send you home any time. Then force you to work a Saturday for only 4hrs on occasions. 

The first 2 don't bother me, that's part of being hourly. You plan for the max time scheduled. The thing that drives me nuts is scheduling Saturdays, holding our weekends hostage, then canceling last minute on Friday 

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The first 2 don't bother me, that's part of being hourly. You plan for the max time scheduled. The thing that drives me nuts is scheduling Saturdays, holding our weekends hostage, then canceling last minute on Friday 

Not just hourly. Recall talking with the Area Manager (who shall be nameless) discussing his weekend plans, including an out of town trip. He then got a call from the Plant manager, called to the office. I worked the weekend and had to pay the repair hole crew (not my normal job). Sunday morning, gathered names and Global ID for the crew. Saw one guy from behind, looking at a repair job. Called him, he turned around, and it was the Area Manager. Plans changed drastically. And no, could not write him in on the DROT.

https://wallmine.com/people/34018/hau-n-thai-tang
The estimated Net Worth of Hau N Thai Tang is at least  $18.5 Million dollars as of 4 March 2022. Mr Tang owns over 393,098 units of Ford Motor Co stock worth over $13,598,638 and over the last 8 years he sold F stock worth over $3,175,728. In addition, he makes $1,703,774 as Chief Product Platform & Operations Officer at Ford Motor Co.

2020 salary report:

• Hau Thai-Tang, who was promoted from chief product development and purchasing officer to chief product platform and operations officer, at $11,780,405.
  • Kumar Galhotra, president of the Americas and International Markets Group, earned $8,534,094. His responsibilities expanded last year.

2021 salary report

Both Hau Thai-Tang, now chief industrial platform officer, and Kumar Galhotra, now president of Ford Blue, fell off the list of top paid executives. 

Looks like Tau’s salary was below Doug Field’s $10.8 million, maybe Farley / Ford board was sending him a message that his time was up….

Edited by jpd80

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

2020 salary report:

• Hau Thai-Tang, who was promoted from chief product development and purchasing officer to chief product platform and operations officer, at $11,780,405.
  • Kumar Galhotra, president of the Americas and International Markets Group, earned $8,534,094. His responsibilities expanded last year.

2021 salary report

Both Hau Thai-Tang, now chief industrial platform officer, and Kumar Galhotra, now president of Ford Blue, fell off the list of top paid executives. 

Looks like Tau’s salary was below Doug Field’s $10.8 million, maybe Farley / Ford board was sending him a message that his time was up….

Didn’t realize he was making that much, or that he had then fallen off the top paid list.  I thought he was low 7 figures.  I still expect him to pop up somewhere else.  He’s in his prime earning years.

wonder how long Galhotra will stick around.

Do the execs at Ford get to have their stock finish vesting after retirement or is it forfeited?  For some of us mortals, it just goes away.

55 minutes ago, slemke said:

Didn’t realize he was making that much, or that he had then fallen off the top paid list.  I thought he was low 7 figures.  I still expect him to pop up somewhere else.  He’s in his prime earning years.

wonder how long Galhotra will stick around.

Do the execs at Ford get to have their stock finish vesting after retirement or is it forfeited?  For some of us mortals, it just goes away.

No, it’s a predetermined price it has to reach before they can sell, not tied to retirement age as is bonus component of annual salary. Most of his previously accrued   stock would be unimpaired by now.

The poor guy probably has a lifetime of knowledge and skills that few companies want, like being

Chief Mechanical engineer of steam locomotives in the age of diesel and electric locomotives.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

No, it’s a predetermined price it has to reach before they can sell, not tied to retirement age as is bonus component of annual salary. Most of his previously accrued   stock would be unimpaired by now.

The poor guy probably has a lifetime of knowledge and skills that few companies want, like being

Chief Mechanical engineer of steam locomotives in the age of diesel and electric locomotives.

He wasn’t an engine or transmission only guy.  More complete vehicle, project management, and supply chain experience according to his LinkedIn profile.  Seems like those would still be in demand.

He did like a post about retirement and not thinking about the money but the experiences allowed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slemke said:

He wasn’t an engine or transmission only guy.  More complete vehicle, project management, and supply chain experience according to his LinkedIn profile.  Seems like those would still be in demand.

He did like a post about retirement and not thinking about the money but the experiences allowed.

The reduction in responsibility and earnings at Ford is telling him that it’s time to go.

There are no new major platform developments for him to head up, his time has passed

and as soon as they stuck him into commercial vehicles, I had a feeling that he would walk.

Galhorta is in charge of Ford Blue and looks to be Farley’s successor in the next few years….

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Galhorta is in charge of Ford Blue and looks to be Farley’s successor in the next few years….

It will be interesting to see how long Jim Farley continues as Ford CEO as it would benefit the company to have him serve long term. Ford's CEO position has been a revolving door for decades adding to the problem of constant and costly product development plans, etc.  

31 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

It will be interesting to see how long Jim Farley continues as Ford CEO as it would benefit the company to have him serve long term. Ford's CEO position has been a revolving door for decades adding to the problem of constant and costly product development plans, etc.  

Jim Farley is already 60 and earning like $22 million a year, I can see him getting through to 65

and seeing the roll out of Model E BEVs and then handing over to Galhorta who will be 61 by then.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The poor guy probably has a lifetime of knowledge and skills that few companies want, like being Chief Mechanical engineer of steam locomotives in the age of diesel and electric locomotives.

Good analogy jpd80, that's exactly the situation that many experienced Ford Blue employees face. Or using another analogy, head of product design for typewriters in the age of microcomputers.

Mr. Thai-Tang should do just fine though in retirement. He'll leave Ford on good terms, and will have ample opportunity to spend more time with his family, volunteer, travel, etc.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Good analogy jpd80, that's exactly the situation that many experienced Ford Blue employees face. Or using another analogy, head of product design for typewriters in the age of microcomputers.

Mr. Thai-Tang should do just fine though in retirement. He'll leave Ford on good terms, and will have ample opportunity to spend more time with his family, volunteer, travel, etc.

Yes, it’s the engineers that spent their whole careers designing engines and transmissions that won’t be old enough or financially able to retire that will be hit hard.  Unsure about the workers building the engines and transmissions, hopefully Ford will offer them training and new positions on BEVs.

Not sure how well management will do.  Depends on whether they were people management or technical.

Agree that Thai-Tang will do just fine post Ford.  He has lots of options.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, slemke said:

Unsure about the workers building the engines and transmissions, hopefully Ford will offer them training and new positions on BEVs.

The smart ones are either on or working to get on the Skilled Trades waitlist instead of waiting for the company to make their move. 

• Like 3

On 7/26/2022 at 9:51 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

The smart ones are either on or working to get on the Skilled Trades waitlist instead of waiting for the company to make their move. 

And what is required to get ON that list?....And regardless, either as a skilled employee working for  Ford or anyone else it is a worthwhile objective.  I'm sure a long time assembly worker leaves with good benefits, but how many can stand the repetitiveness of  the  job? 

47 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Thx-I assume you pick a specialty? Electrical?, Millwright-mechanical?  etc?  And are you paid or on your own time?

You pick up to 3 and they canvass in order per trade. I'm probably not explaining it very well. The classes are covered under the ETAP program but once you’re in the apprenticeship program I think you're pad for class time. I need to reread that part of the contract again. 

• Like 1