Toyota Crown coming to NA as high riding Sedan

silvrsvt

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm not sure what to make of its styling-I just don't really see it resonating with buyers. 

The styling is either ugly or boring (maybe both), but that's true of most crossover type vehicles.

As long as Toyota's marketing for this new Crown uses the "active lifestyle" gambit that has been so successful in popularizing crossovers in general, the car should resonate with consumers.

Outside the U.S., there are 3 additional next gen Toyota Crown variants.

1. Sedan type, by far the most stylish of the trio, with influence from current gen Mirai.

toyota-crown-sedan-silver-1657892251.jpg

2.) Estate or wagon type, with ugly crossover themed styling elements.

toyota-crown-suv-yellow-1657892243.jpg

3.) Sport type, also with ugly crossover themed styling elements.

toyota-crown-small-crossover-red-1657892

On 7/15/2022 at 11:45 PM, silvrsvt said:

I wonder if the new Crown crossover will convince Ford to sell the Evos outside China.
2021-ford-evos-cn.jpg

Edited by AM222

On 7/16/2022 at 5:09 PM, Harley Lover said:

I don't see how this will be any more successful than the Avalon it replaces.

It all depends on Toyota's promotion strategy. As mentioned earlier, if they can incorporate an active lifestyle image into advertising, the high riding sedan version of new Toyota Crown should be more successful than Toyota Avalon, even though the current gen Avalon appears to be a superior product in most respects.

2 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

That design sure is... polarizing. Uh quick, throw out some buzzwords to cover up how ugly it is. Man, this design sure is dynamic and sustainable.

The non-2-tone Crown crossover looks decent.
2023-toyota-crown-101-1657642173.jpg?cro
-Car and Driver

PS: I prefer the sleeker styling of the Ford Evos crossover when it comes to fastback crossovers.

Edited by AM222

1 hour ago, markfnc said:

Wasn't the Ford 500 (that replaced Taurus, then later renamed Taurus) marketed as being a high sitting sedan? 

Yeah, I read that somewhere before. Compared to the traditional sedans, the 500 had a high more upright sitting position. It didn't seem to have a higher ground clearance though.

The Crown crossover, Ford Evos, and Citroen C5 X for example are a bit taller than typical sedans but a percentage of their extra height also comes from the raised suspension/larger diameter tires.

Edited by AM222

1 hour ago, markfnc said:

Wasn't the Ford 500 (that replaced Taurus, then later renamed Taurus) marketed as being a high sitting sedan? 

It was and it wasn't-the seating position on them was high like a SUV/CUV. 

To be honest, in my option it was fucking awful-the parents had a Sable and I felt like I was sitting in a highchair when I drove it.

I got a 2013 Taurus SHO after the refresh was done in 2010 and they lowered the seating position on it...it was much better.

The weird thing is I didn't notice how "high" it was till I got my brother in laws Fusion Hybrid to hold me over till my Bronco showed up. It was a slight pain in the butt to get in and out of due to my wife and I being used to her Escape and my SHO seating height.

Her Escape feels low now after getting the Bronco LOL 

5 hours ago, AM222 said:

The non-2-tone Crown crossover looks decent.
2023-toyota-crown-101-1657642173.jpg?cro
-Car and Driver

PS: I prefer the sleeker styling of the Ford Evos crossover when it comes to fastback crossovers.

All the Honda Crosstour Owners are saying, "See? Told ya!"

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The weird thing is I didn't notice how "high" it was till I got my brother in laws Fusion Hybrid to hold me over till my Bronco showed up. It was a slight pain in the butt to get in and out of due to my wife and I being used to her Escape and my SHO seating height.

Try going from a Super Duty to a '10 Milan.  I've been driving the Milan more lately and I have to fall down into it, then it's like climbing a ladder to get back out.  The opposite of the F350. LOL.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Try going from a Super Duty to a '10 Milan.  I've been driving the Milan more lately and I have to fall down into it, then it's like climbing a ladder to get back out.  The opposite of the F350. LOL.

I thought the Ferrari was even worse.  How about you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You should try getting in the Vanderhall Carmel GTS I tried a week ago.  Duck under roof, climb over door edge.  Plop your arse down into the seat.  Once in, I was fine.

Oh, I want that vehicle.  Good thing I didn't test drive it.

3 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

I've gotten used to the height of my '21 Rangers ut had the same "fall in experience" getting into my brother's Audi A3