Ford Escape Active

ford-escape-active-spy-photos.jpgford-escape-active-spy-photos.jpgford-escape-st-line-spy-photos.jpg

This doesn’t look much better then the current escape. Comparing this to the ST Line we saw earlier, the body colored side molding and the extra led elements in the headlights really make a difference. 

with these two additions Ford will now have six trims (S, SE, SEL, ST Line, Active, Titanium) plus their hybrid/plugin alternatives for the escape. Seems a bit excessive to me for a vehicle that hasn’t been doing well. 

22 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

This doesn’t look much better then the current escape. Comparing this to the ST Line we saw earlier, the body colored side molding and the extra led elements in the headlights really make a difference. 

with these two additions Ford will now have six trims (S, SE, SEL, ST Line, Active, Titanium) plus their hybrid/plugin alternatives for the escape. Seems a bit excessive to me for a vehicle that hasn’t been doing well. 

The Active looks to be based on SE with those wheels, so it would have the SE-level headlights, not the upgraded ones on Ti that's presumably what that ST-Line has.  The wheels are smaller and look like the current Escape SE standard issue parts.  Might also be that one is projectors and the other reflectors; hopefully 2023 will at least have LED headlights standard instead of Ti-only 2020-2022.

Wouldn't surprise me to see SEL get dropped in a lineup like that; it wouldn't be the first time.

image.thumb.png.f9672824b7725eb1c2f696c1765ba84f.png

25 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Looking closely at the view of the center screen (through the windshield), it appears the Escape is going to get the large screen (and Sync 4) already in use in the Kuga and Euro Focus.

Yep, that's what the spy shots of both the ST-Line and Active units look like.  13.2" ultra wide Sync 4 unit, climate at the bottom of the touchscreen a la Tesla, instead of a separate control module down low..  Maverick also seems to have been designed for this given the space holder bin next to the screen that implies a bigger screen was supposed to fit in that space.

image.thumb.png.ef2dce3b742db9a3fba12dbdf8e0613f.png

https://fordauthority.com/2022/03/2022-ford-focus-will-not-boast-optional-infotainment-system-at-launch/

1 hour ago, ExplorerDude said:

The “Active” trim level is going to be the new name for the SE/SEL on the 2023 Escape and the new name for the XLT on the 2024 Explorer. I’m not sure why they decided to start changing trim level names

but it’s definitely happening.

That's weird. In Europe "Active" means more rugged/ more SUV-like.

1 hour ago, ExplorerDude said:

It’s weird for them to do this at this point in time. I swear they do things sometimes simply for change sake, not because it’s the smart thing to do.

It costs nothing to change the trim level name but potential for higher transaction price is real.

Bronco Sport probably is doing several hundred dollars more per vehicle with Big Bend and Outer Banks instead of SE and SEL.

Active replacing SE and XLT sounds like it was focus grouped and tested. I'm sure Ford will also drop the S which is kind of pointless.

Predicting the line up that goes something like: Active (base, mid, high), ST-Line (mid, high, lux), Titanium (high, lux).

• Like 2

Also keep in mind Ford has had issues since the 2013 Escape with pricing/options/trim levels. 

just as an example, my wife’s 2017 SEL was better equipped then my parents 2013 Ti and was roughy 4-5k less. Maybe the Active trim will hopefully fix that. 

23 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I don't see anything outside of badge that would make this an Active vs a regular Escape.

The front end is an upgrade though. 

I was going to say the same thing.  But makes sense if they’re switching trim level nomenclature 

22 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Can't tell from the spy shots.  But I see the moved the vents up to under the screen.  Can't see any HVAC manual controls.  So those are either lower, or built into the screen now.

theyre within a row of touch capacitive “buttons” on the bottom of the screen.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Can't tell from the spy shots.  But I see the moved the vents up to under the screen.  Can't see any HVAC manual controls.  So those are either lower, or built into the screen now.

You can't see them clearly at the bottom of the touchscreen?

image.thumb.png.4cb1def066815ce4d5b2d580772c21ab.png

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

Touch capacitance controls were terrible in the 2013 Fusion.

It's part of the touchscreen now, though.  It's not great compared to physical buttons but it works as well as any other button on the screen.  Unlike those weird capacitive buttons everyone tried back then.

55 minutes ago, j2sys said:

It's part of the touchscreen now, though.  It's not great compared to physical buttons but it works as well as any other button on the screen.  Unlike those weird capacitive buttons everyone tried back then.

Ok so they’re not really buttons they’re just part of the touch screen.  

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

I think the vents are in the same place, but the screen is now lower. What used to be above the vents was the radio controls. Since we know there are capacitive buttons for AC at the bottom of the screen, I’m guessing that the new radio buttons will take the place of the existing ac controls.

1 hour ago, j2sys said:

You can't see them clearly at the bottom of the touchscreen?

On my 2013 Escape, HVAC controls are both physical and on screen.  In the pictures, I didn't see a shot that shows lower down on the console.  Maybe there are still physical controls below the vents.

On the F150, Ford wanted both physical and touch screen controls.  On the Mach-E, they went all touch.  Just trying to see which way they went.

34 minutes ago, 92merc said:

On my 2013 Escape, HVAC controls are both physical and on screen.  In the pictures, I didn't see a shot that shows lower down on the console.  Maybe there are still physical controls below the vents.

On the F150, Ford wanted both physical and touch screen controls.  On the Mach-E, they went all touch.  Just trying to see which way they went.

Seems to be the way Ford is going - climate is on screen only.  See Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning, E-Transit, European Focus with the same/similar Sync 4 unit (per the image I shared above), etc.  No physical control modules.  As it is, they've turned the knobs into dumb knobs - you have to look at the Sync 3 or Sync 4 touchscreen to see what temp it's set to, after they got rid of the screens from the standalone climate module.

3 hours ago, 92merc said:

i don’t think anything below the air vents is changing based on what I can see