2023 Chevy Colorado

Anthony

Is it really cheaper to detune the 2.7L rather than use a 2.0L as the base engine?

Three different versions of the engine will be available, and the entry-level unit produces 237 hp (177 kW / 240 PS) and 259 lb-ft (351 Nm) of torque. Both numbers are a sizable improvement over the old 2.5-liter four-cylinder, which cranked out 200 hp (149 kW / 203 PS) and 191 lb-ft (258 Nm).

The mid-level engine comes standard on the Trail Boss and Z71, while also being available on the WT and LT as an option. It packs 310 hp (231 kW / 314 PS) and 390 lb-ft (528 Nm) of torque, which doesn’t sound like a huge improvement as it only has 2 hp (1 kW / 2 PS) more than the old 3.6-liter V6. However, the torque figure has grown a substantial 115 lb-ft (156 Nm) and it puts competitors to shame.

52 minutes ago, akirby said:

I don’t understand the “entry level” 2.7L I4 turbo.

From a marketing standpoint, I think GM wants to use a pricing model for 2023 Colorado that's similar to the current model, which has 2.5L 4-cylinder gasoline as the "entry level" engine, 3.6L V6 gasoline engine as the mid-level upgrade priced at $1,250 additional, and on the ZR2, the 2.8L 4-cylinder Duramax diesel engine as the high-end engine priced at $3,670 more than the V6.

20 minutes ago, akirby said:

Is it really cheaper to detune the 2.7L rather than use a 2.0L as the base engine?

Yes. The different tunes for 2.7L engine (L3B) are controlled mostly by the engines' software.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

It would make production a lot easier. I bet they didn't sell many 2.0L trucks and probably won't sell many with the "entry-level" 2.7L engines either. 

12 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

My first thought was it's a mistake getting rid of the V6 when it's looking like the new Ranger is getting one but after seeing those power numbers I changed my mind. 

It’s an I4 but it’s 2.7L same displacement as Ford’s V6 and just as much if not more power.

17 hours ago, Broncofan7 said:

Good looking truck. The updates make the truck more competitive, but the Zr2 is heavy.

The Ranger Raptor is far better than the Zr2, but the Chevy looks good.

I still think the EB 2.7l is coming to the Ranger?

Makes sense if Ford wants to compete in the torque wars for regular models (we all know the Raptor version will have tons of torque). The regular Ranger will need an optional engine above the 2.3 EcoBoost. Speaking of 2.3 Ecoboost, I noticed in the new VW Amarok's press release, some markets will be available with a 2.3-liter turbocharged gasoline engine with 302PS (298hp) and 452Nm (333lb-ft) of torque. I compared it to the other 2.3 EcoBoost engines in Ford pickups and SUVs.

Amarok 2.3 (EcoBoost) turbo: 298hp and 333lb-ft
Bronco 2.3 EcoBoost: 275hp and 315lb-ft
Bronco 2.3 EcoBoost (with premium fuel): 300hp and 325lb-ft
Ranger 2.3 EcoBoost: 270hp and 310lb-ft
Ranger 2.3 EcoBoost (with EcoBoost Power Pack Performance Calibration): est 315hp and est 370lb-ft
Ford Explorer 2.3 EcoBoost (rated with premium fuel): 300hp and 310lb-ft

Edited by AM222
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AM222 said:

Makes sense if Ford wants to compete in the torque wars for regular models (we all know the Raptor version will have tons of torque). The regular Ranger will need an optional engine above the 2.3 EcoBoost. Speaking of 2.3 Ecoboost, I noticed in the new VW Amarok's press release, some markets will be available with a 2.3-liter turbocharged gasoline engine with 302PS (298hp) and 452Nm (333lb-ft) of torque. I compared it to the other 2.3 EcoBoost engines in Ford pickups and SUVs.

Amarok 2.3 (EcoBoost) turbo: 298hp and 333lb-ft
Bronco 2.3 EcoBoost: 275hp and 315lb-ft
Bronco 2.3 EcoBoost (with premium fuel): 300hp and 325lb-ft
Ranger 2.3 EcoBoost: 270hp and 310lb-ft
Ranger 2.3 EcoBoost (with EcoBoost Power Pack Performance Calibration): est 315hp and est 370lb-ft
Ford Explorer 2.3 EcoBoost (rated with premium fuel): 300hp and 310lb-ft

Good analysis! I think that the 2.3l carries over, with the 2.7l the upgrade engine for the regular trucks, and the Ranger Raptor obviously has the 3.0l.

I'm betting Ford won't even bother with the 2.7EB in the Ranger.  Just 2.3 Ecoboost, 2.3 Powerboost, and Raptor with the 3.0EB.

My reasoning is I think Ford wants to push it's hybrid/plug in options.  If they can get enough batteries for that strategy.

I'll take a PowerBoost BTW.  ?

On 7/29/2022 at 1:06 PM, 92merc said:

I'm betting Ford won't even bother with the 2.7EB in the Ranger.  Just 2.3 Ecoboost, 2.3 Powerboost, and Raptor with the 3.0EB.

My reasoning is I think Ford wants to push it's hybrid/plug in options.  If they can get enough batteries for that strategy.

I'll take a PowerBoost BTW.  ?

Well, they're already installing it in Broncos, so it's not as if you're having to rearrange the assembly line/platform for the motor.

On 7/28/2022 at 12:43 PM, akirby said:

Definite improvement.  Still not a fan of the Chevy design but it is nicely done.

I don’t understand the “entry level” 2.7L I4 turbo.

Doesn't it have about the same numbers as the small Ford 2.7 turbo?