Comparison test: 2022 F-150 Lightning vs. Rivian R1T

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning vs. Rivian R1T: The Closest Finish in MT History (motortrend.com)

2nd Place: 2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition

• Pros: Silly fun to drive on the road, unstoppable off of it, advanced software and a premium cabin.
  • Cons: Revised pricing greatly diminished value, there isn't much interior storage, underperformed in charging tests.
  • Verdict: Even with this result, the Rivian R1T remains one of the best EVs on the planet.

1st Place: 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range

• Pros: Quicker and better to drive than any F-150 in history, huge cabin with tons of storage, robust charging curve makes road-tripping feasible.
  • Cons: Its software suite needs refinement and deeper data, not quite as polished as the Rivian, still expensive.
  • Verdict: The F-150 Lightning wins by the tip of a whisker—but this battle will continue to turn on over-the-air updates.

061-2022-Rivian-R1T-vs-Ford-Lightning.jp

043-2022-Rivian-R1T-vs-Ford-Lightning.jp

038-2022-Rivian-R1T-vs-Ford-Lightning.jp

017-2022-Rivian-R1T-vs-Ford-Lightning.jp

016-2022-Rivian-R1T-vs-Ford-Lightning.jp

006-2022-Rivian-R1T-vs-Ford-Lightning.jp

020-2022-Rivian-R1T-vs-Ford-Lightning.jp

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Anthony said:

The R1T cabin seems very sterile compared to the Lightning, but I think Ford should move to a landscape screen for the next generation.

Rivian spent more time on gadgets than they did making the interior a good place to be. Gadgets are neat and all but better suited as a compliment to the overall package. 

• Like 1

My question is why does every F150 Lightning have to be dual motor AWD?

Certainly those features are whiz bang cool but there are plenty of reasons to build an inexpensive truck that is cheaper, is lighter and gets better range due to the fact you’re not operating two motors. 

How about one motor at the rear axle for plain Jane work trucks?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Because the vast majority of F150 trucks are 4x4.  I don't know about other areas, but here in MO, I would venture to guess 90%+ of Ford trucks (and others, I'm sure, I just don't pay much attention to them) are 4x4.

The VAST majority of Rangers are 4x4. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Certainly those features are whiz bang cool but there are plenty of reasons to build an inexpensive truck that is cheaper, is lighter and gets better range due to the fact you’re not operating two motors. 

With the initial production run of F-150 Lightning, Ford is targeting the heart of the pickup truck market which as fordmantpw and fuzzymoomoo mentioned prefers 4x4 configuration.

Maybe in 2nd or subsequent model years, a less expensive 2WD version of F-150 Lightning Pro (plain Jane work truck) will become available. 

Okay gang explain to me why the decent quality EV has to run a 9 second 1/4 mile?

People in the snow country were doing quite well with the front wheel drive cars now everything has to be AWD dual or triple motor? Lol !

I think Ford should offer an entry level something EV with a single motor and lower cost and greater range. 

A Maverick perhaps?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

I think Ford should offer an entry level something EV with a single motor and lower cost and greater range. 
A Maverick perhaps?

That would be great Stray Kat. BEV Maverick or Ranger with single motor is at the top of my list as the preferred replacement for our '19 Ranger 2WD when the time comes.

16 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Okay gang explain to me why the decent quality EV has to run a 9 second 1/4 mile?

People in the snow country were doing quite well with the front wheel drive cars now everything has to be AWD dual or triple motor? Lol !

Simple-it’s just a by product of electric motor design-I’m also willing to bet that certain size of motor works better for efficiently that also happens to puts out a lot of power. 

On 7/29/2022 at 10:49 PM, Stray Kat said:

Doesn't every major drivetrain configuration need its own crash testing (which costs a lot of time/money) in order to be legally sold? I've heard this before as a reason mfgs tend to not offer a lot of choices in transmissions (for example). 

• 2 months later...
47 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

How about a rotating screen? there are times when either are advantageous.

Having used the horizontal tablet in the Nautilus for a few months it really works well.  Being able to have a big Nav screen and smaller inset Audio or vice versa and switch back and forth works great.  I do prefer the hard controls for the HVAC though.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 11:33 PM, Stray Kat said:

It’s clear that Ford is streamlining Lightning  production by building one powertrain configuration that favours buyer preferences and Ford’s desire to deliver a rich trim mix to maximise profit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Having used the horizontal tablet in the Nautilus for a few months it really works well.  Being able to have a big Nav screen and smaller inset Audio or vice versa and switch back and forth works great.  I do prefer the hard controls for the HVAC though.

I have the horizontal 12” unit in my Bronco and love it.   I too like the ability to switch tiles back and forth as needed.

one thing I think Ford does lazily in vertical screen models (namely Explorer with the tall screen - maybe they’ve fixed it with Lightning/Expy) is the camera displays.  

Instead of having the backup view and the surround view on separate “lines” to make them huge and take advantage of the massive screen, they stick to the same side by side camera layout that only takes up maybe the upper 1/3 of the screen, with limited size because of that.

25 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I have the horizontal 12” unit in my Bronco and love it.   I too like the ability to switch tiles back and forth as needed.

one thing I think Ford does lazily in vertical screen models (namely Explorer with the tall screen - maybe they’ve fixed it with Lightning/Expy) is the camera displays.  

Instead of having the backup view and the surround view on separate “lines” to make them huge and take advantage of the massive screen, they stick to the same side by side camera layout that only takes up maybe the upper 1/3 of the screen, with limited size because of that.

Agreed!  They have terrible screen utilization regarding the cameras on our Explorer ST. It is quite annoying.  

39 minutes ago, tbone said:

Agreed!  They have terrible screen utilization regarding the cameras on our Explorer ST. It is quite annoying.  

oh that’s right.  2/3 of the center screen was taken up by the “sensor” view.   Which should’ve been swapped with the 360 view

On 7/29/2022 at 9:01 AM, fordmantpw said:

Because the vast majority of F150 trucks are 4x4.

It's apparent that they're "high grading" the Lightning--they're constrained on how many they can make, so they're going after the most lucrative sales. Regular cab short bed 4x2s might be the best trucks out there, but they ain't where the money is.

19 hours ago, sullynd said:

I don’t follow. Here’s what my Lightning looks like. 

0C05D718-97D1-467A-A1B1-16D26D1DDAF7.jpeg

this is exactly how it should be for better/full screen utilization.

this is how Explorer does it:

47dce5905cb447f3876e02ac8211843e_14.jpg?

it essentially keeps the side-by-side camera layout of the smaller 8” screens and then just adds a “sensor” view below that instead of giving a full width backup camera image with a bigger 360 view below it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1