Comparison test: 2022 F-150 Lightning vs. Rivian R1T

I’m just now reading this article from motortrend and I have to say it’s a terrible review. In their comparison, the rivian seems to be better in almost every category. Where the lightning wins is storage space. Duh, it’s a much larger vehicle. That’s like comparing the ranger to the f150 and saying the f150 wins because it has more space. 

I’m not advocating for the rivian over the lightning, just think their results don’t match the rest of the article. They also mention that the rivian was the truck of the year, so how did the lightning beat it in this review?

Edited by T-dubz

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

I’m not advocating for the rivian over the lightning, just think their results don’t match the rest of the article. They also mention that the rivian was the truck of the year, so how did the lightning beat it in this review?

Value for the money seems to be the factor that worked in F-150 Lightning's favor. Motor Trend said of the R1T, "revised pricing greatly diminished value".

According to the article, these are the areas where R1T has the advantage.

1. Acceleration
  2. Handling
  3. Ride
  4. Off-road capability
  5. Utility of bed
  6. Interior quality
  7. Software

Here are the areas where F-150 Lightning has the advantage.

1. Range
  2. ADAS
  3. Sustained charge rate
  4. V2L and V2G capability
  5. Interior controls usability
  6. Cabin room
  7. Price when comparably equipped (this may no longer be the case now with Ford's recently announced price increases)

It's effectively a tie, that's why Motor Trend said the 1st place finish for F-150 Lightning was "by the tip of a whisker". It's quite possible that R1T would have won if the latest 2023 model year pricing for both trucks were used.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Value for the money seems to be the factor that worked in F-150 Lightning's favor. Motor Trend said of the R1T, "revised pricing greatly diminished value".

According to the article, these are the areas where R1T has the advantage.

1. Acceleration
  2. Handling
  3. Ride
  4. Off-road capability
  5. Utility of bed
  6. Interior quality
  7. Software

Here are the areas where F-150 Lightning has the advantage.

1. Range
  2. ADAS
  3. Sustained charge rate
  4. V2L and V2G capability
  5. Interior controls usability
  6. Cabin room
  7. Price when comparably equipped (this may no longer be the case now with Ford's recently announced price increases)

It's effectively a tie, that's why Motor Trend said the 1st place finish for F-150 Lightning was "by the tip of a whisker". It's quite possible that R1T would have won if the latest 2023 model year pricing for both trucks were used.

They also said the rivian towed better and had a higher payload. Essentially the rivian did all the truck things better then the f150. As for the charging rate, ford over performed on their advertised rate and rivian underperformed on their advertised rate but rivian still charged faster and at a higher rate then the f150.

The rivian is way over the top for my needs, but I think that storage compartment is slick. An ev ranger with a bit more space that had that storage compartment would be at the top of my list.

I’ve seen a couple of Rivians and a couple of Lightnings on the streets here, and I think the Lightning is a much better looking truck. The Rivian has too much of a Honda Ridgeline vibe to it from the rear. I don’t care for the unibody look; trucks should have some kind of break between the cab and the bed, even if it’s only visual, and that sail panel on the Rivian just doesn’t trip my trigger. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rmc523 said:

this is exactly how it should be for better/full screen utilization.

this is how Explorer does it:

47dce5905cb447f3876e02ac8211843e_14.jpg?

it essentially keeps the side-by-side camera layout of the smaller 8” screens and then just adds a “sensor” view below that instead of giving a full width backup camera image with a bigger 360 view below it.

Thanks for doing the work for me RMC?  The Explorer layout is garbage compared to the Lighting’s.