Aussie Ranger XLT V6 Diesel review

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

~1200 mm between the rear wheel wells at 7.05. Hmmm...that works out to about 47 1/4" or not quite 4 ft. I assume they were smart enough to squeeze out that extra 3/4" to make it at least 4 ft?

Well,,,,, a quick look at sheets of plywood in AUS shows that they are 1200 x 2400, so maybe the 48" US standard wasn't considered,,,

HRG

6 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Well,,,,, a quick look at sheets of plywood in AUS shows that they are 1200 x 2400, so maybe the 48" US standard wasn't considered,,,

HRG

Ford widened the space between wheel wells to fit a Euro pallet which is 31.5" (800mm) × 47.24" (1200mm).

Edited by AM222

5 hours ago, AM222 said:

Ford widened the space between wheel wells to fit a Euro pallet which is 31.5" (800mm) × 47.24" (1200mm).

Considering that Rangers are now sold in countries that have other requirements besides Euro standards, limiting the truck's capabilities for other markets would seem pretty short sighted (pun intended).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Considering that Rangers are now sold in countries that have other requirements besides Euro standards, limiting the truck's capabilities for other markets would seem pretty short sighted (pun intended).

More like the rest of the world has no issues with it. It's the US that has a larger pallet size.  

I also think it's the limitations of the T6 chassis/architecture.

Alternative: The dropside tray/truck bed.

MG_7727-700x467.jpg

Edited by AM222
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AM222 said:

More like the rest of the world has no issues with it. It's the US that has a larger pallet size.  

MG_7727-700x467.jpg

Its a known fact the new Ranger is wider than the current one. Hell, even the base Bronco is wider than the current Ranger. 

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Its a known fact the new Ranger is wider than the current one. Hell, even the base Bronco is wider than the current Ranger. 

The added exterior width is mostly from the wider blistered fenders and rear quarter panels. (It has 1.97-inch wider tracks.)
This is obvious when viewed from the top view.
au-xlt-coloriser-meteor-grey-9.jpg
The added track width also allowed Ford to move the rear shocks outboard and increase the space between the wheel wells.

The 2023 Ranger is 75.5 inches wide, the Bronco Base is 75.9 inches wide.

Edited by AM222

31 minutes ago, AM222 said:

The added exterior width is mostly from the wider blistered fenders and rear quarter panels. (It has 1.97-inch wider tracks.)
This is obvious when viewed from the top view.
au-xlt-coloriser-meteor-grey-9.jpg
The added track width also allowed Ford to move the rear shocks outboard and increase the space between the wheel wells.

The 2023 Ranger is 75.5 inches wide, the Bronco Base is 75.9 inches wide.

I hope some of it made it to the cab width. The 2022 has decent blistering at the fenders, and the 2023 gained 2.2 inches over the 2022.

6 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

I hope some of it made it to the cab width. The 2022 has decent blistering at the fenders, and the 2023 gained 2.2 inches over the 2022.

Hope so too but if there's any increase in interior space it might be due to the redesigned interior.  The cab appears to be a reskin (same hard points) like the new F150 and the previous one. 

Edited by AM222

11 hours ago, AM222 said:

Hope so too but if there's any increase in interior space it might be due to the redesigned interior.  The cab appears to be a reskin (same hard points) like the new F150 and the previous one. 

Ford has been very evasive on any change to cabin width, particularity hip and shoulder room,

I think we all know why……

On 8/1/2022 at 7:17 AM, 70 Stang said:

We'll see, but if anything it won't be much because the cab looks to be carryover. They can improve the space some with better packaging inside. I am fine with the Ranger not growing much. If it grew a lot it would be pointless. If you really need a large cab get an F-150.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:03 AM, 70 Stang said:

One can only hope! One of the Aussie reviewers said the hip and shoulder measurements seemed to be increased....but then again no numbers.

I see the new Colorado got 3.1 inches wider.....but I guess that could be in the fenders also!

Yeah, looks like a huge portion of the added width went to the wide fenders. It also looks like a huge portion of the new Colorado's added wheelbase length is probably due to the wheels being pushed forward like on the new 2023/24 Ranger.

Edited by AM222

12 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

We'll see, but if anything it won't be much because the cab looks to be carryover. They can improve the space some with better packaging inside. I am fine with the Ranger not growing much. If it grew a lot it would be pointless. If you really need a large cab get an F-150.

I have an F-150 now, don't want another.....just a mid-size truck with a mid-size interior. Maybe hip and leg room close to an Edge.

I am sure it won't increase much if at all.....hopefully won't have to wait much longer to find out.

In the current Ranger, a lot of dimensions are less that the Maverick.

Edited by 70 Stang

On 7/31/2022 at 4:00 PM, AM222 said:

MG_7727-700x467.jpg

In the US we don't care much, if anything, about "pallet size". Most consumers are more concerned about whether or not a 4'x8' sheet of drywall or plywood will fit flat on the bed floor, even if they never really intend to use it for that purpose. But it would be nice to know you could do that if needed.

And I can almost guarantee we will never see that dropside bed here.

This is the stuff that makes a lot of North American buyers view the T6 Ranger as a red headed stepchild. It was never intended nor designed for this market because Ford doesn't want it to compete with the F-series. Simple as that.

And, unlike the rest of the world, Ford doesn't market the Ranger here as a work truck. They want us to think of it more as a "lifestyle" vehicle which in itself seems a bit odd since you could say the same thing about the Maverick.

That doesn't make the Ranger a bad design for your market. It's just not the best design for our market, especially for those who want to actually use it as a truck. For that we have the F-series.

And if you don't need all the capabilities of an F-150 you can also now choose the Maverick.

See what I mean about the red headed stepchild image?

Just my opinion but I honestly believe Ford would have been better off going with the Bronco pickup for the North American market and just dropping the Ranger altogether. Much better fit. Keep the Ranger for other markets which is what is was designed for anyway.

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

This is the stuff that makes a lot of North American buyers view the T6 Ranger as a red headed stepchild. It was never intended nor designed for this market because Ford doesn't want it to compete with the F-series. Simple as that.

And, unlike the rest of the world, Ford doesn't market the Ranger here as a work truck. They want us to think of it more as a "lifestyle" vehicle which in itself seems a bit odd since you could say the same thing about the Maverick.

That doesn't make the Ranger a bad design for your market. It's just not the best design for our market, especially for those who want to actually use it as a truck. For that we have the F-series.

And if you don't need all the capabilities of an F-150 you can also now choose the Maverick.

See what I mean about the red headed stepchild image?

Just my opinion but I honestly believe Ford would have been better off going with the Bronco pickup for the North American market and just dropping the Ranger altogether. Much better fit. Keep the Ranger for other markets which is what is was designed for anyway.

Could not disagree more.  First there is a huge price gap between Maverick and F150.  Maverick and Ranger allows F150 to maintain higher price points.

Second - Ranger sales haven’t seemed to hurt F150 sales.

The issue with bringing Ranger here back in 2011 is that the market was shrinking dramatically and it wasn’t at all clear back then how much it would rebound outside of Tacoma.  Canyorado helped prove there was a market.  The business case was hard for two reasons - no Bronco to share costs and factory space and no readily available factory space.  Adding Bronco and killing Focus is what made the business case feasible.  

Ford purposely limited current Ranger options because of the old platform and to help with Bronco launch.  That shouldn’t be an issue with the 2024+ model.  I expect more fleet/work options as long as they have capacity at MAP.

A lot of people (me included) don’t need a full size pickup but Maverick is too small.   My F150 barely fits in the garage.

23 minutes ago, akirby said:

Could not disagree more.  First there is a huge price gap between Maverick and F150.  Maverick and Ranger allows F150 to maintain higher price points.

Second - Ranger sales haven’t seemed to hurt F150 sales.

The issue with bringing Ranger here back in 2011 is that the market was shrinking dramatically and it wasn’t at all clear back then how much it would rebound outside of Tacoma.  Canyorado helped prove there was a market.  The business case was hard for two reasons - no Bronco to share costs and factory space and no readily available factory space.  Adding Bronco and killing Focus is what made the business case feasible.  

Ford purposely limited current Ranger options because of the old platform and to help with Bronco launch.  That shouldn’t be an issue with the 2024+ model.  I expect more fleet/work options as long as they have capacity at MAP.

A lot of people (me included) don’t need a full size pickup but Maverick is too small.   My F150 barely fits in the garage.

Ranger has currently been squeezed from below by Maverick, but I also don’t think Ford is worried about it until The next-gen arrives, as it allows them to make more Broncos to fill that backlog.

24 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Ranger has currently been squeezed from below by Maverick, but I also don’t think Ford is worried about it until The next-gen arrives, as it allows them to make more Broncos to fill that backlog.

4 door XLT 2wd (non hybrid)

Maverick $25k

Ranger $35K

F150 $46K

When I bought my F150 XLT in 2018 it was $37K almost fully loaded.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

4 door XLT 2wd (non hybrid)

Maverick $25k

Ranger $35K

F150 $46K

When I bought my F150 XLT in 2018 it was $37K almost fully loaded.

I meant squeezed by sales numbers.  Ranger’s have been down, but they’re prioritizing Bronco at the factory before the new gen comes

46 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I meant squeezed by sales numbers.  Ranger’s have been down, but they’re prioritizing Bronco at the factory before the new gen comes

Oh, right.  Yeah we won’t know for sure until the 2024 has been out for awhile.

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I have a 2022 Ranger XLT Tremor and my dad (well we bought it for him because he's in his 80s) has a 2022 Maverick XLT FX4 with the optional rims and slightly larger tires. I have driven both back to back and although the Maverick is really nice for it's market and price point it's no Ranger. The Ranger feels a lot more substantial just driving it. The Ranger is quieter and smoother. It's almost hard to explain, but if you drive the two back to back you definitely can tell the Ranger is the more premium of the two. Now this isn't knocking on the Maverick. It's an economy vehicle and feels it. They did a very nice job with it.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 11:35 PM, blksn8k2 said:

In the US we don't care much, if anything, about "pallet size". Most consumers are more concerned about whether or not a 4'x8' sheet of drywall or plywood will fit flat on the bed floor, even if they never really intend to use it for that purpose. But it would be nice to know you could do that if needed.

And I can almost guarantee we will never see that dropside bed here.

I don't think the best selling mid-size pickup (Tacoma) can fit a 4'x8' sheet of plywood flat on the floor, (it has 41.5" between the wheel wells) and people who bought them don't seem to mind. I'm sure there is a market for a smaller pickup in North America that can fit a standard garage (with space at both ends of the vehicle).

Ford is offering pickups in small, medium, large and extra large sizes. There's a pickup for everyone (sort of).

A Bronco pickup would most probably be as big/wide as a 2023/24 Ranger since both are built on a T6 platform and have similar widths.

Edited by AM222
  • Like 1