2023 Maverick Tremor

https://jalopnik.com/the-2023-ford-maverick-tremor-is-a-little-truck-with-a-1849350456

Available on both XLT and Lariat models, the Tremor package can be had with either the front-drive hybrid drivetrain (2.5-liter 4-cylinder, 191 total system horsepower) or the optional 2.0-liter EcoBoost turbo four (250 hp, 277 lb-ft). EcoBoost models get a new all-wheel drive system with a twin-clutch locking rear differential. Tremors also get five selectable drive modes and Trail Control, which works like cruise control for off-road crawling, with the vehicle handling throttle and brake inputs to maintain a steady speed on challenging terrain.

In addition to the one-inch suspension lift, Tremors get a heavy-duty transmission cooler, stronger half-shafts, unique springs and shocks, a higher-clearance lower front fascia, and steel skid plates.

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 2

I think that's a mistake by Jalopnik about Tremor being offered on front drive hybrid.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-ford-maverick-tremor-first-look-review/

Want a Maverick with the Tremor package? You'll need to spring for a Maverick XLT or Lariat model equipped with the available 250-hp, 277-lb-ft 2.0-liter EcoBoost I-4 engine. That means—for now—the front-wheel-drive-only standard hybrid powertrain and entry-level XL trim cannot be combined with the Tremor, which Ford describes as "an entry-level option for buyers seeking greater off-road capability and bold styling." It's kind of like a souped-up FX4 Off-Road Package already offered on all-wheel-drive Mavericks. So, it's mostly entry-level.

Here are few more articles about Maverick Tremor. It's a package offered on XLT and Lariat instead of separate trimline. Uses the Bronco Sport Badlands' rear twin-clutch differential. Payload only drops by 300 pounds to 1,200 pounds. Towing capacity is 2,000 pounds which means the 4K Tow Package is likely not offered. This is to be expected since upgrading the off-road capability usually sees a drop of payload and towing capacities. I like it. It looks sharp and makes it even more capable to go off roading.

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/08/01/2023-ford-maverick-tremor-reveal-off-road/

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-maverick-tremor-off-road-package/

https://fordauthority.com/2022/08/2023-ford-maverick-tremor-debuts-with-advanced-awd-unique-shocks/

• Like 1

At first I checked my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st. In the unibody truck market, Ford doesn't offer nearly the available features that the Santa Cruz and Ridgeline offer, has the least available HP, no manual shift capability, lowest towing capacity. Now, a laughable 2000 lbs towing, that is 200 less than the Bronco Sport BadLands, 1500 less than a front drive Santa Cruz! In the Bronco Sport, moving up one trim to the BadLands, you pay $2140 and get the twin clutch rear diff, skid plates, off road suspension, upgraded to select shift trans with paddle shifters, upgraded to the 2.0 Ecoboost from the 1.5 Ecoboost, which nets a 71hp/ 87 lb ft increase. I was expecting something like this for the 2023 Maverick. Heck, just offer the twin clutch diff, and the 1" lift on the standard AWD, at a fraction of the Tremor's $2995, and you could still have a useful truck that can tow 4000 lbs. Compared to the Bronco sport, the content for the price of this Tremor should include a disclaimer " bend over this won't hurt much".

23 minutes ago, maginty said:

At first I checked my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st. In the unibody truck market, Ford doesn't offer nearly the available features that the Santa Cruz and Ridgeline offer, has the least available HP, no manual shift capability, lowest towing capacity. Now, a laughable 2000 lbs towing, that is 200 less than the Bronco Sport BadLands, 1500 less than a front drive Santa Cruz! In the Bronco Sport, moving up one trim to the BadLands, you pay $2140 and get the twin clutch rear diff, skid plates, off road suspension, upgraded to select shift trans with paddle shifters, upgraded to the 2.0 Ecoboost from the 1.5 Ecoboost, which nets a 71hp/ 87 lb ft increase. I was expecting something like this for the 2023 Maverick. Heck, just offer the twin clutch diff, and the 1" lift on the standard AWD, at a fraction of the Tremor's $2995, and you could still have a useful truck that can tow 4000 lbs. Compared to the Bronco sport, the content for the price of this Tremor should include a disclaimer " bend over this won't hurt much".

If you don’t like it don’t buy it.  They’ll sell like hotcakes just like most other similar packages - based on looks alone.

You realize that Hyundai and Honda have no other trucks while Ford has Ranger and F150 for folks who need true truck capability.  Maverick is for towing toys, hauling stuff around the house and a lifestyle vehicle.  

• Like 6

i have owned Ford trucks for 4 decades, I am downsizing from a '18 F150 Lariat. After having class leading power and features the Maverick disappoints, I had hoped Ford would address that for 2023. Offering a 2.3 with 300 + hp/ torque would give a driving experience similar to the F150.  I  test drove a Ridgeline that has all the amenities My Lariat had, and was impressed, however it had only average, mediocre performance like the Maverick.  With the Ridgeline being a foot longer, its length is the same as other midsized trucks, and there the 2023 Colorado offers 310hp/ 390 lb ft torque, so I still have options.

Maverick wasn't designed for towing much.  A small trailer really at best.  It's based on the Escape platform, so no amount of engine is going to handle it well on that platform.

What you're describing is a Ranger.  Maverick is smaller than a Ridgeline.  Maverick isn't a mid-ized truck either.  It's a compact.  Santa Cruz you initially mentioned isn't doing 300HP either.  Ridgeline is only 280hp, so short of your wish for 300, and that's a true mid-sized.

You're trying to put 8lbs of shit into a 5 lb bag.  Go up to a Ranger.

Edited by 92merc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maginty said:

i have owned Ford trucks for 4 decades, I am downsizing from a '18 F150 Lariat. After having class leading power and features the Maverick disappoints, I had hoped Ford would address that for 2023. Offering a 2.3 with 300 + hp/ torque would give a driving experience similar to the F150.  I  test drove a Ridgeline that has all the amenities My Lariat had, and was impressed, however it had only average, mediocre performance like the Maverick.  With the Ridgeline being a foot longer, its length is the same as other midsized trucks, and there the 2023 Colorado offers 310hp/ 390 lb ft torque, so I still have options.

Stop whining and wait for the new Ranger Raptor,

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I'm torn. I like the off road capability but like the 4k tow package and current payload. Not sure which one I'll order.

If you buy a Ranger FX4, it probably has better offroading ability than the Maverick Tremor AND it can tow 5,000 pounds.

Edited by AGR
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 2:25 PM, 92merc said:

Maverick wasn't designed for towing much.  A small trailer really at best.  It's based on the Escape platform, so no amount of engine is going to handle it well on that platform.

What you're describing is a Ranger.  Maverick is smaller than a Ridgeline.  Maverick isn't a mid-ized truck either.  It's a compact.  Santa Cruz you initially mentioned isn't doing 300HP either.  Ridgeline is only 280hp, so short of your wish for 300, and that's a true mid-sized.

You're trying to put 8lbs of shit into a 5 lb bag.  Go up to a Ranger.

The AWD Maverick was designed to tow 4000 lbs, which is adequate for my needs. I am not expecting a more powerful engine to increase tow capacity, just make a more exciting drive.

I know the size of the "compact" Maverick and it has more rear seat legroom and headroom than all the "midsize" trucks, 2.4" more rear legroom than Ranger. The other unibody truck, the Ridgeline is a close second, also more rear legroom than all "midsize", matches max headroom.

The Maverick has a lower entry height, and a smaller turning circle, and is basically a foot shorter than all the "midsize". So for maneuverability it handily beats all the "midsize" trucks.

I don't need the Ranger 7500 lb towing and the dated styling inside and out is reflected in the drastic sales decline this year, and it's remaining unchanged for 2023.

As far as engine power, Ford only offers less than competition in Ranger and Maverick. The F150 and Superduty gas offerings are class leading in HP and Torque. The Ranger had most available torque, basically offset by the HP deficiency it gave up to Colorado and Frontier V6's. Now Colorado has class leading with 310/430 for 2023.

Ford has a 2.3 310/350 they could drop in the Maverick that would give close to the same HP/Torque to weight ratio as a F150 with the 3.5 400/500 engine. It would seem like a no brainer and profitable also, offering it in only Lariat trim.

On 8/1/2022 at 1:05 PM, akirby said:

If you don’t like it don’t buy it.  They’ll sell like hotcakes just like most other similar packages - based on looks alone.

You realize that Hyundai and Honda have no other trucks while Ford has Ranger and F150 for folks who need true truck capability.  Maverick is for towing toys, hauling stuff around the house and a lifestyle vehicle.  

As it stands, no I will not buy it. And I am not whining, just stating facts. It appears that Ford is only interested in selling high profit $20-25000 models rather than $40000 + models with class leading HP/Torque and features.

3 hours ago, maginty said:

The AWD Maverick was designed to tow 4000 lbs, which is adequate for my needs. I am not expecting a more powerful engine to increase tow capacity, just make a more exciting drive.

I know the size of the "compact" Maverick and it has more rear seat legroom and headroom than all the "midsize" trucks, 2.4" more rear legroom than Ranger. The other unibody truck, the Ridgeline is a close second, also more rear legroom than all "midsize", matches max headroom.

The Maverick has a lower entry height, and a smaller turning circle, and is basically a foot shorter than all the "midsize". So for maneuverability it handily beats all the "midsize" trucks.

I don't need the Ranger 7500 lb towing and the dated styling inside and out is reflected in the drastic sales decline this year, and it's remaining unchanged for 2023.

As far as engine power, Ford only offers less than competition in Ranger and Maverick. The F150 and Superduty gas offerings are class leading in HP and Torque. The Ranger had most available torque, basically offset by the HP deficiency it gave up to Colorado and Frontier V6's. Now Colorado has class leading with 310/430 for 2023.

Ford has a 2.3 310/350 they could drop in the Maverick that would give close to the same HP/Torque to weight ratio as a F150 with the 3.5 400/500 engine. It would seem like a no brainer and profitable also, offering it in only Lariat trim.

So much is wrong with this post. First things first. The Maverick does not compete with the Ridgeline. Not in size or in price. It is a compact inexpensive pickup. As far as the Ranger goes you are comparing the current model to the next gen Frontier and Colorado. The Colorado is not even available yet and by the time it is the 2024 Ranger will almost be here. The so-called dramatic sales decline of the Ranger has a lot more to do with MAP trying to build as many Broncos to catch up then it being a bad truck. Of course it isn't going to be as fancy as the next gen midsized trucks, but it is solid and reliable. Consumer Reports just picked the 2022 Ranger over the class leader 2022 Toyota Tacoma.

Have you even driven a 2022 Ranger or 2022 Maverick? I have a 2022 Ranger Tremor and my family also has a 2022 Maverick 2.0 FX4. Both have plenty of power and do exactly what they were designed to do. You are trying to compare the Maverick to a pickup that is in a completely different class and are comparing a current gen Ranger to the next gen from the other manufacturers. The current gen Ranger is simple and tough especially in Tremor trim and I appreciate that. Just go get a Pantyline or Colorado and be happy. It is pretty apparent that you don't want a Ford product anyhow.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3