2023 Maverick Tremor

A lot of the young whippersnappers have never been blessed (cursed?) with the opportunity to drive a late 50's-early 60s foreign car- 44 hp Opel Rekords, 12hp Citroén 2CVs, 50 hp VW bus. Much like driving a loaded semi, you drove them with your foot to the floor in each gear even in traffic just to keep up. Sadly, there are some who drive that way with todays' vehicles.

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2022 at 4:58 PM, akirby said:

You people have a distorted view of vehicle power.  Just because you like more power doesn’t mean that less power is inadequate.  My F150 has 375 hp-470 lb/ft.  I’ve owned multiple vehicles (edge, escape, fusion, MKZ, nautilus) with 275-ish hp from the NA 3.5/3.7 and 2.0Leb and they do have plenty of power for normal driving.  Even spirited driving.  People seem to have forgotten those 120-160 hp 4 cylinder engines.  Those were underpowered.

I remember well the late '70's, early '80's when the big 3's small block V8's produced 155-180 hp and 250-275 lb ft torque and people towed 5-8000 lb trailers through mountain passes. Back then the Dodge 360 was on top in both categories.

akirby, you claim 275-ish hp is plenty for normal and spirited driving. I am curious as to why you passed on the 290hp/265 lb ft 3.3, and the 325hp/400 lb ft 2.7  on your F150 purchase? 

As for the next gen Ranger, Ford is in the same boat as when they introduced the Ranger in 2019. GM again has its' cards on the table with 310hp/430 lb ft in the midsize and Ford has the 392hp/430 lb ft 3.0 that they could and should offer optional in the non Raptor Ranger, matching GM's torque output and mopping the floor with them on HP. And, if the new Ranger is available for order in May 2023, one would think Ford would start releasing some performance numbers as to deter people from ordering the GM twins. The longer Ford stays mum on the the new 2024 Ranger engine specs, it would appear they are not looking to dominate that class as they do with the F150 and Superduty.

41 minutes ago, maginty said:

akirby, you claim 275-ish hp is plenty for normal and spirited driving. I am curious as to why you passed on the 290hp/265 lb ft 3.3, and the 325hp/400 lb ft 2.7  on your F150 purchase? 

Because that’s all that was in stock when I wanted to buy.  I was planning to order the 2.7.

I understand the desire for more power but you don’t seem to understand what buyers really want.  Even the 2.0 is more than adequate as a daily driver. Ranger Raptor will outperform and outsell whatever GM puts out regardless of which engine they choose.

You only seem to be interested in bench racing.  Or will you put your money where your mouth is and buy a GM?

19 hours ago, akirby said:

Because that’s all that was in stock when I wanted to buy.  I was planning to order the 2.7.

You only seem to be interested in bench racing.  Or will you put your money where your mouth is and buy a GM?

GM is building the '22 twins till late December, at that point if there is no information from Ford on '24 Ranger engines or their offerings are sub par, I will order a GM. My first vehicle was a Ford F100 and have had only Ford trucks since, and would prefer a Ford but I won't buy something that is outclassed by a competitor. In the mid 2000's Chrysler/Dodge came out with the rwd Hemi cars and GM countered with the G8 and Ford had the AWD Taurus/500, instead of bringing the rwd Falcon. I waited a few years and purchased my first non Ford, a new 2007 Charger SRT8 for a summer driver, best decision I made, never had a problem, and was a great car for years. I then replaced it more with my current Charger SRT392, more hp and torque and active exhaust that makes great music. I don't just buy blindly, if the 2024 Ranger matches/beats GM in power, I'll buy one, if not I'll have no problem switching brands.

29 minutes ago, maginty said:

GM is building the '22 twins till late December, at that point if there is no information from Ford on '24 Ranger engines or their offerings are sub par, I will order a GM. My first vehicle was a Ford F100 and have had only Ford trucks since, and would prefer a Ford but I won't buy something that is outclassed by a competitor. 

So let’s get this straight - you think a GMC Canyon ATX4 with 310 hp/430 lb ft from a 2.7 I4 turbo will outclass a Ranger Raptor with a 2.7L turbo v6 with at least 330 hp/415 lb/ft?    If all you care about is 15 lb/ft of torque without regard to HP or actual performance or suspension or styling or comfort or other features then I guess we’re done.  Enjoy that GM.

53 minutes ago, maginty said:

GM is building the '22 twins till late December, at that point if there is no information from Ford on '24 Ranger engines or their offerings are sub par, I will order a GM. My first vehicle was a Ford F100 and have had only Ford trucks since, and would prefer a Ford but I won't buy something that is outclassed by a competitor. In the mid 2000's Chrysler/Dodge came out with the rwd Hemi cars and GM countered with the G8 and Ford had the AWD Taurus/500, instead of bringing the rwd Falcon. I waited a few years and purchased my first non Ford, a new 2007 Charger SRT8 for a summer driver, best decision I made, never had a problem, and was a great car for years. I then replaced it more with my current Charger SRT392, more hp and torque and active exhaust that makes great music. I don't just buy blindly, if the 2024 Ranger matches/beats GM in power, I'll buy one, if not I'll have no problem switching brands.

2023MY production hasn't even started yet and you want Ford's 2024MY specifications by late December or you'll switch brands? Go ahead, buy the GM product. There's plenty of other customers that will appreciate being able to get the Ford product! 

2 hours ago, akirby said:

So let’s get this straight - you think a GMC Canyon ATX4 with 310 hp/430 lb ft from a 2.7 I4 turbo will outclass a Ranger Raptor with a 2.7L turbo v6 with at least 330 hp/415 lb/ft?    If all you care about is 15 lb/ft of torque without regard to HP or actual performance or suspension or styling or comfort or other features then I guess we’re done.  Enjoy that GM.

First off I'm comparing a Canyon Denali to a Ranger Lariat. The 2023 Denali interior looks at least as good as the next gen Ranger.

I am not interested in the Ranger Raptor, which for the global market does not use a 2.7 but a 3.0 with 392hp and 430 lb ft. Now we're done.

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

2023MY production hasn't even started yet and you want Ford's 2024MY specifications by late December or you'll switch brands? Go ahead, buy the GM product. There's plenty of other customers that will appreciate being able to get the Ford product! 

last I read production of the unchanged 2023 NA Ranger was to end in May 2023 with next gen Ranger production starting, which would mean deliveries by this time 2023. To me that would mean NA specs are already decided upon and should start leaking out.

7 hours ago, maginty said:

First off I'm comparing a Canyon Denali to a Ranger Lariat. The 2023 Denali interior looks at least as good as the next gen Ranger.

I am not interested in the Ranger Raptor, which for the global market does not use a 2.7 but a 3.0 with 392hp and 430 lb ft. Now we're done.

Well you best just go buy the Canyon you won’t get the 3.0 in anything but a Raptor.

And just like that the order banks appear to be closing today. I've been super busy. My son has been in the hospital for the past 5 days. So I am completely wiped out, I had planned on carving time to review order guide and set up a plan to order at the end of the month but it looks like that won't be happening. So the order banks for the Maverick we're only open for a week. Awesome. Looks like I will be getting a Suburu.

3 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

And just like that the order banks appear to be closing today. I've been super busy. My son has been in the hospital for the past 5 days. So I am completely wiped out, I had planned on carving time to review order guide and set up a plan to order at the end of the month but it looks like that won't be happening. So the order banks for the Maverick we're only open for a week. Awesome. Looks like I will be getting a Suburu.

It's a shame they can't/won't build these in either Flat Rock or Louisville 

33 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I’m wondering if it’s Ford just being overly cautious with taking orders and not being able to build them-they are still making dealer stock units, but I guess that is just what they can make vs what people are are ordering. 

With the high % of Hybrid orders being reported, I'm hoping my 2.0EB AWD XLT makes it down the assy line,,,

HRG

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I’m wondering if it’s Ford just being overly cautious with taking orders and not being able to build them-they are still making dealer stock units, but I guess that is just what they can make vs what people are are ordering. 

I Wondered the same thing. I hope I get my 23, as it was too late to order a 22 hybrid. Who knows, if Ford doesn't come up with a plan I may not get a 23 or 24. 

So after staring at the order guide for an hour, I suddenly started to feel sick. I felt like I needed to leave work. I may have used the word headache but ditched out of work early to put in an order.

Hot Pepper Lariat, 2.0 AWD with Tremor package, spray in bed liner, and copilot 360. A hair over 36k. I’m sure I’ll see it 8 months.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Don't forget the "Coexist" bumper sticker!

Of course, I see your later post...

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2022 at 6:33 AM, bzcat said:

You are right. It's why the hybrid production lags demand so much... no use setting up new shift if they can't get enough battery or motors. 

Lack of parts is why Ford and other manufacturers are still struggling with production, I think it’s going to be this way for at least for the next nine to twelve months. Farley talking through his ass about ramping up production when he simply can’t, it’s the same way world wide with Ford. Look at what’s happening, quietly increasing all MSRPs and making more profit from tight production / inventory  and virtually zero cash incentives. If they keep F Series sales above 60,000 -65,000 per month, the rest doesn’t matter as much….

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Lack of parts is why Ford and other manufacturers are still struggling with production, I think it’s going to be this way for at least for the next nine to twelve months. Farley talking through his ass about ramping up production when he simply can’t, it’s the same way world wide with Ford. Look at what’s happening, quietly increasing all MSRPs and making more profit from tight production / inventory  and virtually zero cash incentives. If they keep F Series sales above 60,000 -65,000 per month, the rest doesn’t matter as much….

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/09/23/ford-badge-shortage/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's the dumbest of all the part shortages IMO

If they all came from Tribar's Wixom, MI, plant that was shut down for over a month for dumping hexavalent chromium down the municipal sewer, that would explain it.  Still not a good look on Ford that they can't even source badges.  Makes one wonder about quality, supplier relationships, etc...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/environment/2022/09/01/tribar-plant-allowed-restart-water-discharges-wixom-after-release/7960780001/

Edited by j2sys