2023 Lincoln Corsair To Drop Optional 2.3L I-4 EcoBoost Engine

I'm sure this makes perfect business sense. Corsair sales are roughly 1/5th of Escape's, and even if the take rate of 2.3's in Corsair was 50%, the volume just isn't there to support sending 2.3's to Louisville, when they could be used in so many other platforms at other plants.

HRG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'm sure this makes perfect business sense. Corsair sales are roughly 1/5th of Escape's, and even if the take rate of 2.3's in Corsair was 50%, the volume just isn't there to support sending 2.3's to Louisville, when they could be used in so many other platforms at other plants.

I don’t think there are any other transverse 2.3s now which is why I predicted it would get the axe.  Not to mention you still have Corsair GT for better performance.

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

Most definitely HotRunrGuy. In China, the primary market for Lincoln Corsair, only the 2.0L and PHEV powertrains are offered. It makes sense to unify powertrain offerings in all markets where Lincoln Corsair is sold.

Edited by rperez817

21 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Too bad they are axing Nautilus since it is the obvious choice for the 2.3L EB motor.

Always seemed like a no brainer to me to use the 2.0 for Corsair and 2.3L for Nautilus especially with Aviator getting the 3.0L.  But I guess it was too close to the 2.7L.

So drop the 2.3L because it doesn't sell enough.  But keep the GT Hybrid's unique rear only electric motor setup?   Which is different than the Escape...

Doesn't make sense to me.  Pretty much dropped any reason I would have gone for the Corsair.  I'll just get an Escape Hybrid.  They will have 5 trims to choose from.

2 hours ago, 92merc said:

So drop the 2.3L because it doesn't sell enough.  But keep the GT Hybrid's unique rear only electric motor setup?   Which is different than the Escape...

Doesn't make sense to me.  Pretty much dropped any reason I would have gone for the Corsair.  I'll just get an Escape Hybrid.  They will have 5 trims to choose from.

Yeah if I were in the market, I'd go for the 2.3 but every review I'd read of the Corsair has said the 2.3 wasn't really worth the upgrade over the 2.0. Not a big enough difference in driving experience apparently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Willwll313wll said:

Yeah if I were in the market, I'd go for the 2.3 but every review I'd read of the Corsair has said the 2.3 wasn't really worth the upgrade over the 2.0. Not a big enough difference in driving experience apparently.

I have driven both, there IS a marked difference.

• Like 2

Between my sisters Escape with the 2.0 at 240hp/270lbft and my wifes MkC with the 2.3 at 285hp/305lbft, the MkC is much more responsive to the throttle.  I don't know how anyone could say that their isn't a difference.  I guess if all you do is baby it around the city or do nothing but drive the highway at constant speed, you won't know the difference, but I sure do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrew L said:

I haven't driven a 2.3 but how is the idle for those that have?  When ever I bring my MKZ in for service I tend to get a 2.0 MKZ and I can't get over how rough the idle is on those cars not very luxury car like IMO.

That’s strange - had the 2.0 in my fusion, daughters escape and the new Nautilus and all seemed to idle very smooth.

• 3 weeks later...

Once again, F/L cheapening its U.S offerings which already are limited versus the rest of the world, even when built at home.

There’s a substantial difference between the 2.3L and 2.0L EcoBoosts in Corsair. Those who dismiss the difference likely never have driven both.

I might not be nearly so frustrated if the many other improvements available for other markets were offered at home.

2 hours ago, Remford said:

Once again, F/L cheapening its U.S offerings which already are limited versus the rest of the world, even when built at home.

There’s a substantial difference between the 2.3L and 2.0L EcoBoosts in Corsair. Those who dismiss the difference likely never have driven both.

I might not be nearly so frustrated if the many other improvements available for other markets were offered at home.

Most buyers don’t care about the difference in performance.  My wife drove a 3.0 Aviator and a 2.0 Nautilus and preferred the 2.0.  The number of buyers willing to pay extra for the 2.3 is small.

And what does Ford offer abroad that we don’t get here between Ford and Lincoln models?

“Most buyers” don’t buy Shelby Mustangs or Raptor trucks. For that matter, “most buyers” don’t buy Lincoln. Didn’t quite think through that one, did you? ??‍♂️ 

As for what F/L offers buyers abroad but not at home, I suggest better familiarizing yourself with each market’s respective product portfolio.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Remford said:

“Most buyers” don’t buy Shelby Mustangs or Raptor trucks. For that matter, “most buyers” don’t buy Lincoln. Didn’t quite think through that one, did you? ??‍♂️ 

As for what F/L offers buyers abroad but not at home, I suggest better familiarizing yourself with each market’s respective product portfolio.

This isn’t a performance vehicle, it’s a luxury CUV therefore the performance difference while noticeable just isn’t that important from a market perspective.  Of course some people care but not enough to justify Ford’s continued investment in an engine that’s not used elsewhere (in transverse form).

The point with MOW is some Ford’s are much nicer because Lincoln’s aren’t sold there (Vignale e.g.).  So you have to compare MOW Fords with NA Lincoln to say whether something is offered here.

The other main one is lighting but that’s because of stupid US DOT regulations.

So please enlighten me about the others.

On 8/31/2022 at 8:49 AM, akirby said:

And what does Ford offer abroad that we don’t get here between Ford and Lincoln models?

Interiors like this, we get features removed every model year for cost savings while they get more frequent updates and more equipment added as well as keep features that are deleted here. Things like soft touch materials, color changing ambient lighting,  key less entry on all doors and surprise and delight features are added. The only surprise you get on a US vehicle is the feature you liked on your last Ford/Lincoln was deleted in your new one. Key less keypad deleted, Ambient lighting deleted, led license plate lights deleted, parking assistance deleted, 10 way seat to 8 way, deleted power lumbar support, glarefree headlights deleted, temperature in the knobs deleted, deleted one touch down on the back windows, deleted massaging seats, deleted kick lift gate (these never worked anyways) etc etc etc.

2023-ford-explorer-cn.jpg

burlappcar-ford-4.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Its been proven that NA customers aren't willing or don't want to pay for interior upgrades like the Chinese market..I've seen bitching about interiors for 20+ years, but yet it doesn't seem to make a major impact in sales...

How much of that is coming from new vehicle buyers at large vs. enthusiasts and reviewers?

Sure, the materials in my Escape could be a bit nicer - lots of hard plastics, for instance, without so much as the neat textures and colors of Maverick and Bronco Sport - but would it actually improve my enjoyment of the vehicle more than, say, the Panoramic Vista Roof?

1 hour ago, j2sys said:

How much of that is coming from new vehicle buyers at large vs. enthusiasts and reviewers?

Sure, the materials in my Escape could be a bit nicer - lots of hard plastics, for instance, without so much as the neat textures and colors of Maverick and Bronco Sport - but would it actually improve my enjoyment of the vehicle more than, say, the Panoramic Vista Roof?

That is my point-people where belittling the new Explorer interior vs the Telluride and Palisades, but yet the Explorer is still the best selling product in its segment and outsells both of them combined. 

I really don't think North American customers really care that much about interiors

Plus there was some infamous fighting here about 20 years ago about the quality of EU Focus vs NA Focus...when in actuality there was very little difference in materials between them (from my personal experience of being in the UK in 2006) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

That is my point-people where belittling the new Explorer interior vs the Telluride and Palisades, but yet the Explorer is still the best selling product in its segment and outsells both of them combined. 

I really don't think North American customers really care that much about interiors

Plus there was some infamous fighting here about 20 years ago about the quality of EU Focus vs NA Focus...when in actuality there was very little difference in materials between them (from my personal experience of being in the UK in 2006) 

I'm agreeing with your point - it seems a lot of the complaints come from enthusiasts and reviewers who don't always represent the preferences of the masses.  I'm on various automotive forums and notice details many don't, but even I'm not that concerned with the materials in my Escape.  Maybe that's just the frugality in me, though.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Its been proven that NA customers aren't willing or don't want to pay for interior upgrades like the Chinese market..I've seen bitching about interiors for 20+ years, but yet it doesn't seem to make a major impact in sales...

Looking at Ford market share in the US over the past 20 years would prove different on sales.

While Ford has sold about 20K more Explorer's a portion of those number of those are PI units.

It sums up Ford's good enough attitude for the US market - we have sales and if we lose a thousand customers that's okay its more profitable this way. The problem is a thousand becomes ten thousand which becomes a hundred thousand which becomes a million. Ford still thinks GM is there only competition in the market and looks to benchmark them exclusively for almost every market where they might slightly benchmark Ram for Pickups and Wrangler with the Bronco. 

If I was in the market today with the equipment deletions and price increases I wouldn't have replaced my F-150 with another one. Ford is very shortsighted in their decision process. 

To go back to the topic here, the Corsair was a great vehicle when it was launched a few years ago and has been gaining sales, but deleting the options that made it stand out and new competition in the market will customers continue to buy it? Lincoln will be waiting for the electric version in a few years it will be great but by then Audi/Mercedes/Genesis and Cadillac will be out with great product. The PIH is behind Lexus and Volvo in Range and price, so unless a significant upgrade happens in powertrain it will be behind. What is Lincoln going to offer that they don't already have?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

Looking at Ford market share in the US over the past 20 years would prove different on sales.

While Ford has sold about 20K more Explorer's a portion of those number of those are PI units.

It sums up Ford's good enough attitude for the US market - we have sales and if we lose a thousand customers that's okay its more profitable this way. The problem is a thousand becomes ten thousand which becomes a hundred thousand which becomes a million. Ford still thinks GM is there only competition in the market and looks to benchmark them exclusively for almost every market where they might slightly benchmark Ram for Pickups and Wrangler with the Bronco. 

If I was in the market today with the equipment deletions and price increases I wouldn't have replaced my F-150 with another one. Ford is very shortsighted in their decision process. 

To go back to the topic here, the Corsair was a great vehicle when it was launched a few years ago and has been gaining sales, but deleting the options that made it stand out and new competition in the market will customers continue to buy it? Lincoln will be waiting for the electric version in a few years it will be great but by then Audi/Mercedes/Genesis and Cadillac will be out with great product. The PIH is behind Lexus and Volvo in Range and price, so unless a significant upgrade happens in powertrain it will be behind. What is Lincoln going to offer that they don't already have?

But Ford's market share issues aren't just because of interior quality issues either-more players in the market and removing themselves from segments and flip flopping constantly with different plants doesn't help either. 

I went from a loaded SHO to a lower end "loaded" Bronco and to be honest I don't miss some of the options that where on the SHO vs Bronco. Power seats are nice, but I don't mess with the settings that much, if ever. 

Then I see the stupidity of what happened with the Escape from 2013 to 2019 with trims and then discontenting that happened-which seems to be an internal screw up. Its pretty bad when a 2017 SE has more options on it then the 2013 Ti model did and costs 5K less vs that same model. It seems like they can't decide on what is going to be good, better and best with equipment packages and when things like Homelink or something stupid, but important for some people because its useful, get removed from lower trim models, the cries of discontenting get thrown around when maybe it shouldn't have been there to start with?