'23 Escape May Get New Trim Names

I'm betting the ability to line item add features will be greatly reduced.  You want BO Sound system?  You pick that trim and above.  You want 2.0LEB?  Pick that item and above.  So you're only options are FWD/AWD,/hybrid color, and trim.  That will help reduce the time on the line to build.

15 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Why do they need three ST line trims? That is about stupid. 

Ford has 3 sub-trims on almost all existing trim level: SE Base, SE Mid, SE High; XLT Base, XLT Mid, XLT High; Outer Banks Mid, Outer Banks High, Outer Banks Lux etc.

Seems like Ford is moving Escape towards the "theme" trim design like on Bronco and Bronco Sport. Active is probably going to be like Big Bend and think of ST-Line as just another theme that is road-focused instead of off-road focused like Bad Lands. 

Bronco Sport theme: Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, Bad Lands

Escape theme: Based, Active, ST Line, Platinum

Edited by bzcat

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Ford has 3 sub-trims on almost all existing trim level: SE Base, SE Mid, SE High; XLT Base, XLT Mid, XLT High; Outer Banks Mid, Outer Banks High, Outer Banks Lux etc.

Yeah I get that, but it makes no sense to break them out three different times like that chart did. 

Base, Active, ST-Sport and Platinum 

28 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Yeah I get that, but it makes no sense to break them out three different times like that chart did. 

Base, Active, ST-Sport and Platinum 

I already explained that and it makes perfect sense.

The old SEL trim is equivalent to ST-Line 

The old Titanium trim is equivalent to ST-Line Plus

ST-Line Premium and Platinum are both above the old Titanium trim.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

It would be nice to see some of the Vignale luxury interior bits come over from Europe on the Platinum, but I have zero expectation to see that happen.

Let me be sure I understand what you're saying (well, writing) here...are there European Escapes with nicer/more luxurious interiors than are available on U.S.-market Escape?

36 minutes ago, 1984Poke said:

Let me be sure I understand what you're saying (well, writing) here...are there European Escapes with nicer/more luxurious interiors than are available on U.S.-market Escape?

And Mondeo and Kugas, etc.  Vignale is the European version of Lincoln.

• Like 1

I’m in the “these names make no sense” camp. Base for any trim sounds horrible. Giving it some other name would at least make it not sound like bottom of the barrel (I hate this name on other vehicles too). Maybe they do that on purpose to push people away from that trim? Active makes it sound like it does something special, but it doesn’t. ST line would make more sense if there was an actual ST trim too. It’s all just putting lipstick on a pig if you ask me.

29 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I’m in the “these names make no sense” camp. Base for any trim sounds horrible. Giving it some other name would at least make it not sound like bottom of the barrel (I hate this name on other vehicles too). Maybe they do that on purpose to push people away from that trim? Active makes it sound like it does something special, but it doesn’t. ST line would make more sense if there was an actual ST trim too. It’s all just putting lipstick on a pig if you ask me.

If anything there will be no "Base" model, just an Escape

Escape Active

Escape ST-line

Escape Platinum will be the trim lines with a badge associated with it. 

I'm guessing the Active model will be more adventure/off road orientated, the ST-line will look sporty and have nice wheels and the Platinum will be the luxury trim.  

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

If anything there will be no "Base" model, just an Escape

Escape Active

Escape ST-line

Escape Platinum will be the trim lines with a badge associated with it. 

I'm guessing the Active model will be more adventure/off road orientated, the ST-line will look sporty and have nice wheels and the Platinum will be the luxury trim.  

Agree... the cheapest model will just be "Escape". But keep in mind that is may not be "base" per se. Ford could offer it with mid package as well. I think "Escape" will just be no-theme appearance - like the current SE... anonymous looking blob. 

It's possible that both Active and ST-Line will be available in low, mid and high package so the difference is basically just appearance - one has more rugged looking black plastic trim, and the other has color matching everything. And Platinum will just have high and lux package with different grille like on the Explorer and F-150. 

Edited by bzcat

15 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I think Base will likely be the fleet version that most retail customers won’t get.  And it’ll more be referred to as “Escape” as others have said, but they have to give it a differentiation for the order guide.

23 minutes ago, akirby said:

I remember Honda in the early 90s.

DX

LX

EX

A/C was a dealer add on.  Later they added EX-L with leather.  Very simple.

Honda seems to be returning to its "we make it simple" philosophy with trim levels for its automobiles. For example, 2023 Honda CR-V is offered in 2 gasoline-only trims and 2 hybrid-only trims.

• EX
  • EX-L
  • Sport Hybrid
  • Sport Touring Hybrid

On 8/9/2022 at 1:56 PM, akirby said:

I already explained that and it makes perfect sense.

The old SEL trim is equivalent to ST-Line 

The old Titanium trim is equivalent to ST-Line Plus

ST-Line Premium and Platinum are both above the old Titanium trim.

Sure, it makes sense to us who pay close attention to this sort of thing but I still think that's too confusing to the average customer. 

Keep It Simple, Stupid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Sure, it makes sense to us who pay close attention to this sort of thing but I still think that's too confusing to the average customer. 

Keep It Simple, Stupid. 

That should be Ford’s marketing mission statement

• Like 1