'23 Escape May Get New Trim Names

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Sure, it makes sense to us who pay close attention to this sort of thing but I still think that's too confusing to the average customer. 

Keep It Simple, Stupid. 

I’m describing why they listed them separately in the table.  Almost every vehicle Ford sells ha ps 2 or 3 option packages for each trim level.

E.g. My F150 XLT had 3 trim levels - 300a, 301a, 302a.  Same thing here just words instead of numbers,

I agree it should be even simpler but it’s no different than today.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, akirby said:

I’m describing why they listed them separately in the table.  Almost every vehicle Ford sells ha ps 2 or 3 option packages for each trim level.

E.g. My F150 XLT had 3 trim levels - 300a, 301a, 302a.  Same thing here just words instead of numbers,

I agree it should be even simpler but it’s no different than today.

I understand what you were saying and I think most of us here do too. Each trims on the F-150 and Bronco have few option packages (Mid, High, Lux, for example) which could pretty much be applied to F-150's 300A (base), 301A (Mid), 302A (High), etc. But the Escape trimlines list on the table had them split out purely for comparison purposes of the old Escape trims to the new Escape trims. I do think it will be Base, Active, ST-Line (with few separate option packages), and Platinum. But the table split out the few ST-Line packages separately to compare with previous Escape trim lines in order to show how Ford is simplifying their ICE trimline offerings from here on out. It's been said that the Explorer will be next to simplify their trimline offerings in 2024. So it's possible that the rest, if not most, of the ICE vehicles will all have simpler trimlines at some point.

What's interesting is that Ford actually separates the Mustang trims by standard and bundled option Premium Package for each of EcoBoost, GT, and Mach 1. There was a time when the Premium Package would just be an option for each of the trims except Shelby. But now it's EcoBoost, EcoBoost Premium, GT, GT Premium, Mach 1, and Mach 1 Premium. I can understand Ford's reasoning for this because it helps customers know what they're looking at when they look at the window sticker. If it says GT at the top of the sticker, then it's the non-optioned Premium version. If it says GT Premium then the customer knows it got extras included plus other possible available options that would not be available on base GT. At that point, the customer would need to look further down the sticker to see what other packages and options were included. However, I'm wondering if they may revert to just offering EcoBoost, GT, Mach 1, other trims such as Bullitt later on, etc. with optional Premium Package for each trims for the S650 Mustang.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

Looks German, Korean, and Japanese!  I could always spot an Escape, but I won't be able to now unless I see the blue oval on the front!  Too bad.  You blew this one Ford!

You mean the German, Korean and Japanese CUVs that outsold the old Escape?

Selling 10k/ month on top of the cheaper Bronco Sport is a strange definition of losing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 5:47 AM, akirby said:

You mean the German, Korean and Japanese CUVs that outsold the old Escape?

Selling 10k/ month on top of the cheaper Bronco Sport is a strange definition of losing.

And now that it looks other competitors in the segment, Ford regards Escape as a commodity product

Ironically, under Alan Mulally’s One Ford,  Bronco Sport would have been called unnecessary duplication

yet Bronco Sport is more desirable and delivers healthy profit. Know what your customer really wants is crucial these days. Is Ford growing impatient with Escape, they only have themselves to blam for not doing more (maybe increase size length/width as Edge/Escape replacement on a more efficient C2).

Edited by jpd80

19 hours ago, rmc523 said:

what resources?   They order an “active” badge instead of “XLT”

If you think no resources were spent on something like this you haven’t worked in the corporate world or for the government.  It certainly could have been simple, but I highly doubt that it was.

Additionally, I should have mentioned my opinion about the continued diminishment of the value of the ST name, unless there is actually a legitimate performance version of it.

47 minutes ago, tbone said:

Additionally, I should have mentioned my opinion about the continued diminishment of the value of the ST name, unless there is actually a legitimate performance version of it.

But the ST-line has been used in the EU for years with just making a sporty appearance package vs having performance to back it up...so its not an issue at all. 

The ST badge has almost no name recognition when it comes to being a performance model in the NA market. 

Then with the move to BEVs and the performance levels they offer out of the box, I'm wondering if even adding a performance (unless its something ridiculously fast along the line of the Telsa 3 Plaid for example) badges to the product will even really matter any more. 

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

But the ST-line has been used in the EU for years with just making a sporty appearance package vs having performance to back it up...so its not an issue at all. 

The ST badge has almost no name recognition when it comes to being a performance model in the NA market. 

Then with the move to BEVs and the performance levels they offer out of the box, I'm wondering if even adding a performance (unless its something ridiculously fast along the line of the Telsa 3 Plaid for example) badges to the product will even really matter any more. 

The ST models in the North American market have always been designated for the performance-based models. The introduction of the ST-Line designation degrades the significance of the ST models in North America, regardless of what Ford has established in Europe. In addition, using both ST and ST-Line designations in North America will cause confusion and misidentification for both owners and Dealers for resale and trade-in purposes. 

17 hours ago, ice-capades said:

The ST models in the North American market have always been designated for the performance-based models. The introduction of the ST-Line designation degrades the significance of the ST models in North America, regardless of what Ford has established in Europe. In addition, using both ST and ST-Line designations in North America will cause confusion and misidentification for both owners and Dealers for resale and trade-in purposes. 

But the Explorer and Edge offer ST line products already…

and the “Performance” ST models didn’t do that well when it came to sedans-it seemed to be successful with the Explorer when it was introduced, but the past two years have been a shit show. 

44 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But the Explorer and Edge offer ST line products already…

and the “Performance” ST models didn’t do that well when it came to sedans-it seemed to be successful with the Explorer when it was introduced, but the past two years have been a shit show. 

STs were hatchback only and they sold every one built with zero trouble....

25 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Hatchback AND manual only. It's a miracle Ford sold as many as it did. 

Actually, the versatility of the hatchback configuration combined with the reliability of a manual transmission made Focus ST and Fiesta ST 2 of the best passenger cars Ford ever sold in the U.S. market. The fact that they were practical, fun, and reasonably priced didn't hurt either. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Actually, the versatility of the hatchback configuration combined with the reliability of a manual transmission made Focus ST and Fiesta ST 2 of the best passenger cars Ford ever sold in the U.S. market. The fact that they were practical, fun, and reasonably priced didn't hurt either. 

They held their value remarkably well too

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 7:06 AM, akirby said:

At one time STs we’re something like 30% of Edge sales.  I’m guessing Explorer was smaller but still significant.

I think we’ve discussed this before, but I don’t believe ST sales have ever been near 30% of Edge sales. Maybe 5 to 10%. (I’m referring to ST and not ST Line). 

1 hour ago, Trader 10 said:

I think we’ve discussed this before, but I don’t believe ST sales have ever been near 30% of Edge sales. Maybe 5 to 10%. (I’m referring to ST and not ST Line). 

It might be getting information mixed up with the Explorer, which Ford has specifically called out during sales from what I can remember.

1 hour ago, Trader 10 said:

I found the source - it was 13%,  for some reasonI thought it was higher.

• Like 2