Ford Pass Deep Sleep Mode

pdough

Picked up my brand new 22 F350 on Friday. I love the truck, but within 10 minutes of shutting if off, Ford Pass gives me a notification of "Deep Sleep Mode". It's every time since I picked it up with only 5 miles on it. I have not put a volt meter on the batteries, but it starts fine and does not appear to have low batteries. It doesn't  mater if I drive a 60 miles or just across town. When I shut it off, I almost immediately get the notification. Is this normal? I'm new to Ford Pass.

I have the same issue.  7.3 with dual batteries too.  I spoke with the service manager and he wants to see the truck and make sure that one of the batteries doesn't have a bad cell or something.  He said that with all the long builds and what not that he has no idea how long parts have just been sitting down in KY.

I am bringing the truck in later this week and I will update what they find.

It is annoying to have an alert on the Ford pass every time I shut off the truck.

I have this same issue.  My dealer said another truck that was delivered in July also has this same issue.  It will be going in soon for them to check it out.

Searching the internet, seems others have had similar issues, and had varying causes, from bad gateway module to bad wiring harness.

So, at the moment, don't have an answer, but seems to be a problem.

My truck was at the dealership today and this is what I found out. It seems to be a software issue, and today Ford released a patch to fix it. The problem is that the actual patch will not be sent to the dealers until October. I was told I need to just deal with it until then. My salesman in the service manager were both hurry up said that this was the answer that they got from Ford. They tried a repair on a different truck the day before and it seemed to work for a few hours than reverted back to deep sleep mode.

I am waiting patiently for more information, but I don't have any issues with using the key fob to remote start the truck.

It sat for over a week while on vacation and fired up right away when I started it.

I have had it happen a couple of times, both with my truck and 2020 Escape.  In my case, I found it was an app issue.  Signing out and then logging back in fixes it every time it happens.  It seems to be an issue where the app doesn’t communicate with the truck, and this corrects the issue for me when it happens.

Edited by NH_Bulldog

Good morning

I have been having this same issue on my brand new F-350. Only 58 miles. Have had a week today. Getting multiple messages of deep sleep mode. I did check my battery yesterday and it was a little lower then normal. Batteries could be sitting on a pallet at the factory for who knows how long. So I put a tender on it and let it charge until full . This morning, checked voltage and started truck, everything seemed fine. About 20 mins later I receive another notification. I really was thinking an app issue at this point. So I just called my service advisor and he has informed me that they just went through this issue with another gentleman's truck last week and after working on it all day and working with Ford. That it looks like Ford did not install some sort of battery monitor in these new trucks and didn't even tell the dealers. This monitor relays the voltage info to the app and without it the app just trips the deep sleep mode. They also say a fix is suppose to happen in October but he said he didn't know how for sure and thinks Ford will just update software also. So this makes me believe that they will just take that feature out of app to eliminate this issue all together and we just wont have that low battery alert feature anymore. I guess we will see. Its not that big of a deal but annoying just the same.

1 hour ago, Hybryd40 said:

Good morning

I have been having this same issue on my brand new F-350. Only 58 miles. Have had a week today. Getting multiple messages of deep sleep mode. I did check my battery yesterday and it was a little lower then normal. Batteries could be sitting on a pallet at the factory for who knows how long. So I put a tender on it and let it charge until full . This morning, checked voltage and started truck, everything seemed fine. About 20 mins later I receive another notification. I really was thinking an app issue at this point. So I just called my service advisor and he has informed me that they just went through this issue with another gentleman's truck last week and after working on it all day and working with Ford. That it looks like Ford did not install some sort of battery monitor in these new trucks and didn't even tell the dealers. This monitor relays the voltage info to the app and without it the app just trips the deep sleep mode. They also say a fix is suppose to happen in October but he said he didn't know how for sure and thinks Ford will just update software also. So this makes me believe that they will just take that feature out of app to eliminate this issue all together and we just wont have that low battery alert feature anymore. I guess we will see. Its not that big of a deal but annoying just the same.

Hi Hybryd. Congratulations on your new F-350.

Only addressing what the Dealer attempted to tell you: It is not the FordPass app causing/triggering "Deep Sleep Mode". They are either confused or did not explain things clearly. The vehicle itself triggers Deep Sleep Mode, not FordPass or any other phone app.

Deep sleep mode is determined/"triggered" by the Battery Management System of the vehicle itself, not the FordPass or any other app. The app has no ability to enable/trip/trigger Deep Sleep Mode. The app merely displays the information that the vehicle reports to it. 

In addition, it may help if you read the Owners Manual section concerning "Deep Sleep Mode". Contrary to what some believe, Deep Sleep Mode can be triggered by all sorts of reasons, and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Entering Deep Sleep Mode does not necessarily mean the battery is weak or failing. And the vehicle can/will still start fine while in Deep Sleep Mode. With only 58 miles after a week, and/or possibly sitting on the lot unused for some time (or on a train/truck for delivery not being used), it is entirely possible your vehicle is entering Deep Sleep Mode due to lack of use. The Battery Management System is possibly  sensing that and therefore putting the vehicle into Deep Sleep Mode to conserve battery charge for starting.

All of that being said, it is also possible that you have a bad battery. It happens even with new vehicles. If it continues once you are driving the vehicle more often and for more miles (starting/sitting idling/short trips does not help) set up a service appointment to have the battery properly load tested. An old fashioned battery meter test is not longer accurate for modern vehicles.

Service by phone call alone is usually not very productive and leads to misunderstandings and inaccurate information, as it seems you have just experienced.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

2 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Hybryd. Congratulations on your new F-350.

Only addressing what the Dealer attempted to tell you: It is not the FordPass app causing/triggering "Deep Sleep Mode". They are either confused or did not explain things clearly. The vehicle itself triggers Deep Sleep Mode, not FordPass or any other phone app.

Deep sleep mode is determined/"triggered" by the Battery Management System of the vehicle itself, not the FordPass or any other app. The app has no ability to enable/trip/trigger Deep Sleep Mode. The app merely displays the information that the vehicle reports to it. 

In addition, it may help if you read the Owners Manual section concerning "Deep Sleep Mode". Contrary to what some believe, Deep Sleep Mode can be triggered by all sorts of reasons, and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Entering Deep Sleep Mode does not necessarily mean the battery is weak or failing. And the vehicle can/will still start fine while in Deep Sleep Mode. With only 58 miles after a week, and/or possibly sitting on the lot unused for some time (or on a train/truck for delivery not being used), it is entirely possible your vehicle is entering Deep Sleep Mode due to lack of use. The Battery Management System is possibly  sensing that and therefore putting the vehicle into Deep Sleep Mode to conserve battery charge for starting.

All of that being said, it is also possible that you have a bad battery. It happens even with new vehicles. If it continues once you are driving the vehicle more often and for more miles (starting/sitting idling/short trips does not help) set up a service appointment to have the battery properly load tested. An old fashioned battery meter test is not longer accurate for modern vehicles.

Service by phone call alone is usually not very productive and leads to misunderstandings and inaccurate information, as it seems you have just experienced.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Thank you for that information, I do know that information to app is received from truck and not vice versa. I do also understand all of your possibilities for reasons of issues. I will be starting to drive it more as soon as I get it in for an alignment next week. Installed level kit and new tires. The truck was built and shipped last Friday so it hasn't been sitting on the factory lot for months. But lack of driving and or a battery sitting around or bad cell could definitely be an issue for sure.

If the service adviser information is correct then it could not have ( The Truck ) the battery information that the truck would normally give to the app. I believe that could be plausible as I do receive information from oil life, air pressure, fuel to empty, etc.

Will keep updated and will start process of elimination soon. And thank you for congratulating me on my new truck. I love it !!

Edited by Hybryd40

In searching online, I came across a post where someone claimed turning off all the vehicle's connectivity settings, logging out of FordPass, turning the connectivity setting back on, and re-logging back into FordPass. fixed his problems. I did the same thing and it fixed the problem....for 3 days. Now its back to giving me the message, almost  immediately, when I lock the doors. It doesn't bother me, but it sure was nice not having several notifications for FordPass for three days.  I would agree this is likely a software problem. If there is a fix, I'd rather wait until it's well known, rather than leave my vehicle with the dealership and be the test monkey.

51 minutes ago, pdough said:

In searching online, I came across a post where someone claimed turning off all the vehicle's connectivity settings, logging out of FordPass, turning the connectivity setting back on, and re-logging back into FordPass. fixed his problems. I did the same thing and it fixed the problem....for 3 days. Now its back to giving me the message, almost  immediately, when I lock the doors. It doesn't bother me, but it sure was nice not having several notifications for FordPass for three days.  I would agree this is likely a software problem. If there is a fix, I'd rather wait until it's well known, rather than leave my vehicle with the dealership and be the test monkey.

That was going to be the next thing that I try. I will see what happens when I do it and let you know 

5-10 deep sleeps in a day is not what I was experiencing when I solved my issue by resetting the app.  From what I gather here, there is a new issue that appears a truck issue not an app issue and Ford has identified and is working to implement a fix.  This sounds like what you have

• Like 1

There was a service message published by Ford last Thursday acknowledging this problem... There is a software fix that is expected to be available in October... all of the random "fixes" that have been done for this issue are extremely unlikely to actually fix the problem and are likely either making it worse or just kicking the problem down the road a few days. Wait until there is a fix, DO NOT go to your dealer and ask for a loaner. Call your dealer and talk to them about it and ask them to pull up SSM 51015 and ask if there are any updates. If they don't have anything, taking it to the dealer for diagnostics will be a waste of everybody's time.

• Like 2

Mine went into “deep sleep” today after driving for 7 hours hauling our travel trailer.  I simply logged out of the app, signed back in and all functionality returned, as it has done every time my truck or Escape has gone into deep sleep mode.  There may be a different issue for the newest trucks coming off the line, but this works for me as it has ever since my truck was new a few months ago and the issue first popped up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...