Next Gen Edge in China

25 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

No wonder the next gen Edge got axed here. I pray they don’t screw up EV Explorer and Aviator like this flawed design

Nah!  That ugly design is for Chinese customers only…. Thanks God

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

I like the front end, specifically the grille and headlights. Ditch everything else. That front end on a more exciting and sharper design actually wouldn't look too bad imo. 

The side view looks dated with poorly sculptured doors, fix that and a lot of the boring look goes away.

Key design features are missing for Nth America / Euro market they could be easily fixed but agree,

it’s now too late to go back and fix this design for other markets, no cash &  forging ahead with BEV.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Couple of nugget of data from the certification.

First, the new Edge is significantly longer - at exactly 5 meters which puts it roughly the same length as Explorer. Wheelbase also increased by 100mm.

Second, the standard seating is 7 passenger. Maybe Ford will bring back the 5 seat later. 

Third, the max output (183kw) implies it is 2.0 EB only. 

Looking at the stats, you can see why Ford US opted out of this project. It is just too big and will compete with Explorer. Ford US didn't need another 7 seat SUV and wanted a more sporty model based on CD6 which didn't have any appeal for Ford China (they have Evos for that segment covered). 

What's interesting now to see is what happened to Fusion Active... clearly this was not it based on the size. Looks like Farley quietly killed the Fusion Active.

0x0_m910_autohomecar__ChsEdmL0YEyAPPYMAAIkGiLGiMY743.jpg

Edited by bzcat

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

Couple of nugget of data from the certification.

First, the new Edge is significantly longer - at exactly 5 meters which puts it roughly the same length as Explorer. Wheelbase also increased by 100mm.

Second, the standard seating is 7 passenger. Maybe Ford will bring back the 5 seat later. 

Third, the max output (183kw) implies it is 2.0 EB only. 

Looking at the stats, you can see why Ford US opted out of this project. It is just too big and will compete with Explorer. Ford US didn't need another 7 seat SUV and wanted a more sporty model based on CD6 which didn't have any appeal for Ford China (they have Evos for that segment covered). 

What's interesting now to see is what happened to Fusion Active... clearly this was not it based on the size. Looks like Farley quietly killed the Fusion Active.

I dunno, the Fusion Active prototype that Ford Authority spotted in May appears to have an upkick behind the C-pillar instead of the odd downkick on the Chinese Edge.

Here's Our First Look At The Ford Fusion Active, For Real This Time (fordauthority.com)

54 minutes ago, AGR said:

I dunno, the Fusion Active prototype that Ford Authority spotted in May appears to have an upkick behind the C-pillar instead of the odd downkick on the Chinese Edge.

Here's Our First Look At The Ford Fusion Active, For Real This Time (fordauthority.com)

Actually that is the next gen Lincoln Nautilus-I remember seeing something that it might be imported from China?

If you don't believe me, take a close look at grill under the camo. 

30 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

Look at those 2 side body lines on the rear passenger door.  Seems as if there's 2 styling committees. And that uptick on the C pillar is pointless.

The issue is as vehicles become larger, designers often feel promoted to add additional design elements to try and hide their mass. This leads to designs like this, where there just appears to be tacky design details thrown at an otherwise bland blob. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

The issue is as vehicles become larger, designers often feel promoted to add additional design elements to try and hide their mass. This leads to designs like this, where there just appears to be tacky design details thrown at an otherwise bland blob. 

I wouldn't really say tacky but it's definitely better than some new overrated Hyundai designs that look like they've gone through a side impact crash test. 

PS: Large bland blob example minus any side sculpting...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKeb-F6Pn48wKCQpu6vnz

Edited by AM222

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Different customer expectations probably  why they don’t sell many in Chinese  market

True. It's also a very highly competitive market.

PS: Expedition is not part of the Chinese Ford lineup by the way, Explorer is their largest SUV.

On 8/13/2022 at 7:48 AM, bzcat said:

I guess the Evos is technically what a Fusion Active would have been if it was made. Even if it pushed through in North America they wouldn't use the "Active" name since it's now just a trim level instead of meaning the vehicle is a lifted crossover version.

I have a feeling the Evos would have worked in the US as an indirect replacement for both the Fusion sedan and Edge.
2021-ford-evos-cn.jpg

Edited by AM222
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AM222 said:

I guess the Evos is technically what a Fusion Active would have been if it was made. Even if it pushed through in North America they wouldn't use the "Active" name since it's now just a trim level instead of the meaning the vehicle is a lifted crossover version.

I have a feeling the Evos would have worked in the US as an indirect replacement for both the Fusion sedan and Edge.

Ford China is an open wound of continuing losses,  those three Utilities you mentioned are now the wrong products for a market rapidly switching to BEV.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Ford China is an open wound of continuing losses,  those three Utilities you mentioned are now the wrong products for a market rapidly switching to BEV.

Funny thing is the ICE Equator Sport and all-new Mondeo sedan contributed to Ford's sales growth in China.

Ford better start working on affordable EVs for the global market.

9 hours ago, AM222 said:

Funny thing is the ICE Equator Sport and all-new Mondeo sedan contributed to Ford's sales growth in China.
Ford better start working on affordable EVs for the global market.

120,000 sales in Q2 is minuscule (covid affected?) in a market where sales of Chinese brand sales are taking off. It’s another sign of how slow and late Ford is to the market and why they now missing out big time. 
These vehicles would have made sense five or seven years ago but now stick out as the last of ICE.

Ford has no affordable BEVs, they haven’t a clue how to produce vehicles like that and make a profit.

Thats why I think Ford is in real trouble in Europe, they signed up for two MEB vehicles that now look

like white elephants (no profit) and have rapidly switched to what looks like own design C2 based BEVs

and BEV subcompact Puma (I love this one)

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

120,000 sales in Q2 is minuscule (covid affected?) in a market where sales of Chinese brand sales are taking off. It’s another sign of how slow and late Ford is to the market and why they now missing out big time. 
These vehicles would have made sense five or seven years ago but now stick out as the last of ICE.

Maybe I’m missing something but that’s almost a half million a year - how is that minuscule?

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Maybe I’m missing something but that’s almost a half million a year - how is that minuscule?

Perspective - sorry, I worded that wrongly,

Of the 120,000 sales last month, 40,000 were the Chang’an JV passenger vehicles (the sales I meant as minuscule)

the rest were commercials made by Jiangling Motors JV, selling mostly Transit, Tourneo and Everest.