Dodge Hornet Debuts

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/08/16/2023-dodge-hornet-reveal-gt-rt-alfa-romeo-tonale-hybrid-awd/

2023 Dodge Hornet GT

2023 Dodge Hornet GT

2023 Dodge Hornet GT

Mechanically, the Hornet is still very much like the Tonale, though it does boast slightly higher power numbers for both variants. The base model is the GT, and it gets a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder making 268 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. It comes standard with all-wheel drive and a nine-speed automatic, and Dodge claims it will get to 60 mph in about 6.5 seconds.

Above it is the R/T, which gets the plug-in hybrid turbocharged 1.3-liter four-cylinder powertrain. At the front, it has the engine and an electric motor powering the front wheels through a six-speed automatic. At the back is a 90-kW electric motor powering the rear wheels. Total output is rated at 288 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque. Dodge touts the hybrid's PowerShot launch control. It's an overboost function that provides an extra 25 horsepower for 15 seconds (a 15-second cool down is required between uses). Dodge says the 0-60 time is 6.1 seconds. The R/T also picks up fixed four-piston Brembo front calipers and Brembo rear calipers, dual exhaust and the lovely metal paddle shifters from the Alfa. The brakes and paddles are available on the GT, too. The R/T is also visually distinguished by black-painted cladding, dual-exhaust and unique badging.

I bet Dodge dealers are excited to finally get a new product, even if it's a rebadged Alfa.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Nothing unique or interesting. Yawn. 

At first glance there's nothing unique or interesting like the Ford Escape, but the fact that the base 268hp Hornet GT AWD (0-60 in 6.5 seconds) is $29,995 makes it quite interesting.   
GT
2023-dodge-hornet-front-view.jpg

The Hornet R/T PHEV variant is AWD and has 288hp (0-60 in 6.1 seconds) and starts at $39,995. 
R/T
2023-dodge-hornet.jpg

PS: For reference...
The AWD Escape SE with a 181hp engine starts at at $30,020.
2020-ford-escape.jpg
The FWD Escape SEL PHEV with a 221hp engine starts at $38,190 (Titanium version starts at $40,700).

Edited by AM222
  • Like 3

I kinda dig the front hood.  Aggressive looking.   Back end appears a bit like the Macan to me.

Power wise, it's a nice bump over what the Escape has.  I noticed the hybrid has rear electric only.  Wish Ford would just change the Escape to be the same setup like it's already doing in the Corsair.

Interior is typical Dodge.  Not bad, but not great either.

8 hours ago, AM222 said:

At first glance there's nothing unique or interesting like the Ford Escape, but the fact that the base 268hp Hornet GT AWD (0-60 in 6.5 seconds) is $29,995 makes it quite interesting.   
GT
2023-dodge-hornet-front-view.jpg

The Hornet R/T PHEV variant is AWD and has 288hp (0-60 in 6.1 seconds) and starts at $39,995. 
R/T
2023-dodge-hornet.jpg

PS: For reference...
The AWD Escape SE with a 181hp engine starts at at $30,020.
The FWD Escape SEL PHEV with a 221hp engine starts at $38,190 (Titanium version starts at $40,700).

You can also get a RAV4 Prime that does 0-60 in 5.2/5.4 Seconds for $40,300.

This just looks like a Honda HR-V knock off.  The Escape is expensive for the segment minus the rebates it used to receive, equipment levels should change for the 2023 to give better value across the board.

I think the tonale looks pretty good. The hornet isn’t as distinctive as the tonale, but it’s better than most in the segment. The front looks a bit like a civic to me. For the price, it seems like you are getting a lot for your money. If the quality is there, I’d choose this over an escape any day.

• Like 1

I think Dodge will sell a lot of these. FCA decided to not update the Compass so think of this as the new Compass that we would have received by now. A version of the PHEV powertrain is available in Compass in Europe (as well as Tonale of course).

The real question is how long will they continue to try to sell Fiat 500X, the other member of the quadruplets.

Basically, 500X and Compass were "first gen" SCCS platform CUVs. Tonale and Hornet are the "second gen" SCCS CUV except Stellantis is keeping all of them in production.

• Like 1

I honestly wonder if this is a trial run for discontinuing the Alfa Romeo brand and just rebadging them as Dodges for North America. Depending on the success of the Hornet, a similar strategy could be deployed for the new Guilia successor (Dodge doesn't currently have a compact sedan in the lineup).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dequindre said:

I honestly wonder if this is a trial run for discontinuing the Alfa Romeo brand and just rebadging them as Dodges for North America. Depending on the success of the Hornet, a similar strategy could be deployed for the new Guilia successor (Dodge doesn't currently have a compact sedan in the lineup).

That's actually a good question. It could be that Stellantis wants to simplify their brand offering in North America. This would be a way to do it. I would guess Fiat may be the next to go as well.

• Like 1

They'll keep Alfa in North America. Keeping Alfa around cost them almost nothing because they still have to maintain the Maserati dealer network in the US. Or put it in another way... shutting down Alfa in the US will probably mortally wound the Maserati business plan in the US, which will leave Stellantis with no premium brands in the US. 

Fiat is basically already gone. There is no plan to replace 500X, the last remaining vehicle for sale here. 

And as I already kind of explained, Hornet exists by necessity because the late Sergio cancelled the development for a new Jeep Compass in favor of Alfa Tonale. So now Stellantis has to sell a high volume version of this car to make up for the decline in volume from Compass because it is becoming ancient in a segment full of new product offerings.

Edited by bzcat

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

And as I already kind of explained, Hornet exists by necessity because the late Sergio cancelled the development for a new Jeep Compass in favor of Alfa Tonale. So now Stellantis has to sell a high volume version of this car to make up for the decline in volume from Compass because it is becoming ancient in a segment full of new product offerings.

It seems like the Compass just came out? Wasn't brand new like 3-4 years ago?

16 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

No 2018 is when the second gen Compass came out...it was based on a streched Renegade platform, which is the current car...so its not that old. 

Introduced 2017 model year (2018 model year in some markets). 

So if you go by the industry standard of 5 or 6 model year, it is due for replacement in 2023 or 2024 model year. In another word, Tonale/Hornet is essentially the next gen from the development standpoint of the SCCS platform CUV. 

Sergio basically put the next-gen SCCS money into a 7 seat version of Compass (Jeep Commander) and Tonale. So that left no money for a new Compass or option for another unique body for Hornet.

Also don't forget... Renegade and 500X are even older (2015 model year). They have been contributing to the CAFE but sales have also fallen because they are ancient. So in the CAFE context, Hornet is basically a necessity. 

Edited by bzcat