Black Label Service

Emilner

We purchased our 2019 BL new back in 2019.  The truck is approaching 40k miles and still almost a year and 10k miles to go on the factory warranty/service.  We went in for a transmission issue to our dealer, Empire Lincoln in Huntington NY roughly a week ago.  After an hour+ highway drive when pressing the gas to pass the truck would go to downshift and come out of gear and rev up followed by "shift unavailable", or something like that (it flashes too fast) followed by a wrench icon.  The transmission would then slam into gear and operate somewhat normally with occasional low gear slamming after we leave the highway.  The next day it would be fine.  It happened twice so far.  The dealer said the transmission needs to be rebuilt and parts are on backorder- that is the message I received yesterday and I am calling in to find out what that means.

The second issue is they said I am due for an oil change.  We have only had oil changes done when the truck says oil life is getting low.  The dealer said we used up our allotment of free changes and now they will be roughly $100- I was under the impression all servicing was complimentary for the first 4 years/ 50k.  If the truck says it needs servicing shouldn't that be included??  Any insight?

• ice-capades changed the title to Black Label Service
1 hour ago, Emilner said:

We purchased our 2019 BL new back in 2019.  The truck is approaching 40k miles and still almost a year and 10k miles to go on the factory warranty/service.  We went in for a transmission issue to our dealer, Empire Lincoln in Huntington NY roughly a week ago.  After an hour+ highway drive when pressing the gas to pass the truck would go to downshift and come out of gear and rev up followed by "shift unavailable", or something like that (it flashes too fast) followed by a wrench icon.  The transmission would then slam into gear and operate somewhat normally with occasional low gear slamming after we leave the highway.  The next day it would be fine.  It happened twice so far.  The dealer said the transmission needs to be rebuilt and parts are on backorder- that is the message I received yesterday and I am calling in to find out what that means.

The second issue is they said I am due for an oil change.  We have only had oil changes done when the truck says oil life is getting low.  The dealer said we used up our allotment of free changes and now they will be roughly $100- I was under the impression all servicing was complimentary for the first 4 years/ 50k.  If the truck says it needs servicing shouldn't that be included??  Any insight?

Hi Emilner. Sorry to hear about your issues. First...yes, Black Label perks include a 4 year/50,000 premium maintenance plan. If you are at ~40,000 miles and the vehicle is not yet 4 years old, and you have only had oil changes performed when the IOLM tells you to, you should have plenty of oil changes left under the premium maintenance plan.  How many oil changes have you had performed? 

Let your Dealership know your vehicle is a Black Label edition (perhaps the person you spoke to was not fully aware of that) and a premium maintenance plan. If you have any issues with getting this straightened out, call your Black Label Lincoln Concierge.

Concerning what the Dealership Service Department told you about the transmission: I would assume that "...the transmission needs to be rebuilt and parts are on backorder..." means exactly that.

The transmission has a defect and will need to be rebuilt (or possible replaced). And the parts are not currently available, probably due to the widespread pandemic induced commodity/parts shortages. So they are "backordered", meaning they are on order, but not in stock anywhere, so the Dealership will get them as soon as they are available.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

22 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Emilner. Sorry to hear about your issues. First...yes, Black Label perks include a 4 year/50,000 premium maintenance plan. If you are at ~40,000 miles and the vehicle is not yet 4 years old, and you have only had oil changes performed when the IOLM tells you to, you should have plenty of oil changes left under the premium maintenance plan.  How many oil changes have you had performed? 

Let your Dealership know your vehicle is a Black Label edition (perhaps the person you spoke to was not fully aware of that) and a premium maintenance plan. If you have any issues with getting this straightened out, call your Black Label Lincoln Concierge.

Concerning what the Dealership Service Department told you about the transmission: I would assume that "...the transmission needs to be rebuilt and parts are on backorder..." means exactly that.

The transmission has a defect and will need to be rebuilt (or possible replaced). And the parts are not currently available, probably due to the widespread pandemic induced commodity/parts shortages. So they are "backordered", meaning they are on order, but not in stock anywhere, so the Dealership will get them as soon as they are available.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Thanks for the reply.  We were out of town so I never even checked on the oil status since it kind of hit me by surprise.  I just checked and the Lincoln app has the truck at 43%.  What's odd (or probably not) is the dealer has never said we were due for a change, I always made a call when the monitor popped up and said schedule a change.  Now they say I am due and the truck is at 43% and it isn't covered.  I am not sure how many we have done- I will have to ask the dealer for a printout but I would say the average is in the 6-8000 mile range.  

I am waiting to hear back from the tech for the tranny since I would like to know their definition of rebuilt as in does it need a few new parts or all new belts/clutches/full rebuild etc.  

24 minutes ago, Emilner said:

Thanks for the reply.  We were out of town so I never even checked on the oil status since it kind of hit me by surprise.  I just checked and the Lincoln app has the truck at 43%.  What's odd (or probably not) is the dealer has never said we were due for a change, I always made a call when the monitor popped up and said schedule a change.  Now they say I am due and the truck is at 43% and it isn't covered.  I am not sure how many we have done- I will have to ask the dealer for a printout but I would say the average is in the 6-8000 mile range.  

I am waiting to hear back from the tech for the tranny since I would like to know their definition of rebuilt as in does it need a few new parts or all new belts/clutches/full rebuild etc.  

Hi Emilner. The Dealer is simply trying to make a few more dollars off having you get an early oil change. Especially when charging ~$100. That is a high price, unless the price is for full synthetic oil (not synthetic blend).

Have the oil changed when the IOLM tells you too, unless you like to change early (nothing wrong with that either).

Concerning whether your Black Label Premium Maintenance Plan has expired or not (again, highly doubtful if you only have ~40,000 miles and have oil changes performed when the IOLM indicates)...Call your Black Label Lincoln Concierge. Do not go by what your Dealership tells you.

Let us know what you find out and good luck.