5th Wheel Hitches/Towing

TonyS

I have 2022 F350 Platinum Short Box and bought a 2023 Solitude 310GK 5th wheel

So many 5th wheel hitch options

B&W has the Companion with turnoverball and Patriot - sliders available too and have to activate manually

Demco has the autoslide so no need to get out the truck

So looking at these 2 options

Wondering if anyone has any experience in this area as I have none - I have been a bumper pull guy till now

Had a Reese Goosebox installed on my Grand Design 5th wheel and the B&W turnover hitch installed on my 2019 F250.  Whenever my new F250 arrives, i'll get the B&W installed again.  While it takes an extra one or two minutes to hook up, i get full use of my bed when I am not towing my 5th wheel.  Would highly recommend!

https://www.reeseprod.com/products/pin-boxes/goose-box

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/turnoverball-gooseneck-hitch

Jeremy

I tow a 41' Redwood Front Living 5'er. I have the 5th wheel prep, so use the Reese Elite 25K. From sitting in the garage, it is installed in the bed in under 2 minutes. Takes the same time to remove and return to the garage. When not in the truck, the bed is as it was upon delivery.

Hook up and disconnect is easy. Have used this on 3 trucks over 10 yrs.

Can't comment on sliders, as I only purchase long boxes.

No, the B&W turnover provides that.  If you already have the OEM you can just use the Reese Goosebox..   I did order the OEM and was going to just use that but it was "causing delays" on the build of the truck so I took it off and will get the B&W in place of it.  The only real value add to me is B&W makes a 4" offset which gives you a little bit more room for the 5th wheel vs. I couldn't find one that would work for the OEM that showed an offset.

26 minutes ago, Rangers09 said:

I tow a 41' Redwood Front Living 5'er. I have the 5th wheel prep, so use the Reese Elite 25K. From sitting in the garage, it is installed in the bed in under 2 minutes. Takes the same time to remove and return to the garage. When not in the truck, the bed is as it was upon delivery.

Hook up and disconnect is easy. Have used this on 3 trucks over 10 yrs.

Can't comment on sliders, as I only purchase long boxes.

It looks like the weight on the Elite 25k is 151lbs though?

Any comments on whether I should get the slider or not - 6.75 ft short box f350

I like the idea of the turnover ball and companion

Any comments on the Demco autoslide as far as weight and eaze to remove so you have your full box use

The pin weight is 2250 dry and the payload of the truck is 3250 lbs

Edited by TonyS

I use a non-sliding B&W hitch in my 6.75' bed F350.  I've been in a few tight spots, but as long as you keep a close eye on the front of the fiver/cab area, no concerns or needs for a slider.  Just my opinion.  There have been guys that have busted out their back window or dented their cab, I just use my bed quite a bit, and I can remove the B&W myself (the head comes off the base, with each piece being 75 ish lbs).

• Like 1

I just got rid of my 5er and I had the B&W with the B&W turnover ball hitch.  I also use my bed a lot so I was constantly put that hitch in and out.  Not a huge deal since I have a tractor with forks and just used a pallet to move it around.  The B&W 5th wheel hitch was great and imo better than most as the jaws easily opened and closed and was easy to see if you were locked.  I watched many others struggle with other hitches.  That said if I ever go back to a 5er, I'll only have a Goose box. Pretty easy to just remove a ball to have my bed back.  My 2 cents.  

12 hours ago, RecalculatingRoute said:

It looks like the weight on the Elite 25k is 151lbs though?

Yes, it's heavy. I have our son or SIL do the heavy lifting these days. It also comes apart in 2 pieces, which is easier to lift. Takes about an extra minute to install.

I have the b&w turn over hitch and the b&w companion non slider 5th wheel. These are installed on my 22 f250. My truck is the 6.75 box and Im pulling a 22 jayco eagle ht trailer. I have experienced no issues backing into tight camping spots. I see no reason for a slider at least in my case.

• 4 weeks later...

When I had my shortbed F350 I useda Pullrite Auto slide 24K. It is heavy but comes out in pieces. Now that I have a longbox I am going to swap out to a Reese Goosebox. If you know of anyone who wants to travel to southern NV I can make a killer deal on the autoslide.

bob

10 hours ago, Lima said:

Does anyone have fords 32K fifth wheel hitch? 

Yes, I have the Ford 32K hitch (Reese) in our F450. Previous truck was F350 short bed with slider that we NEVER needed to move. Just had keep track of cab clearance when making a sharp turn. Had the F350 for 12 years, never a problem. 32K hitch is heavy but don't use the truck for much other than towing, so hitch stays in. One important thing to note- the hitch was already in the puks when we took delivery, BUT, nothing was tightened to spec. So be sure to check your factory installed hitches before towing!

On 8/21/2022 at 11:11 PM, TonyS said:

Any comments on whether I should get the slider or not - 6.75 ft short box f350

I like the idea of the turnover ball and companion

Any comments on the Demco autoslide as far as weight and eaze to remove so you have your full box use

The pin weight is 2250 dry and the payload of the truck is 3250 lbs

You should get a slider.  Anything else limits you, especially on a wide bodied Solitude.  Listen to all the others without sliders - they all say 'I can turn far enough' but they all add that they can't turn all the way (up to a 90 degree turn); and they all add that I have to keep an eye on.......

I've had 2 auto sliders in my short beds.  First the Pullrite and then the Demco auto slider Hijacker.  The proper substitute for a non slider is a long bed truck.  So now I have a long bed with a Reese Goosebox.  

With an auto slider you never have to get out of the truck to make adjustments - just back up or make that U-turn without interruption.

My DEMCO is now sitting idle stored in the garage.  Not sure why I don't just scrap it.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:04 PM, TonyS said:

I have 2022 F350 Platinum Short Box and bought a 2023 Solitude 310GK 5th wheel

So many 5th wheel hitch options

B&W has the Companion with turnoverball and Patriot - sliders available too and have to activate manually

Demco has the autoslide so no need to get out the truck

So looking at these 2 options

Wondering if anyone has any experience in this area as I have none - I have been a bumper pull guy till now

I added a B&W turnover ball and B&W Companion hitch to the truck (I didn’t have the 5th wheel prep).  My Grand Design Reflection uses the Turning Point pin box which shifts the pivot point back and eliminates the need for a sliding hitch.  The hitch is easy to remove and leaves the bed clean and flat.  My brother just bought a new 5th wheel and went with the turnover ball paired with the Andersen Ultimate hitch.  

I would stay away from any goose box adapters because LCI (they make most travel trailer frames) has not been accepting any frame or trailer sidewall warranty claims starting last year since the goose box adapter adds stress to the trailer frame in the wrong places.  

Edited by NH_Bulldog

3 hours ago, road turtle said:

IMHO, Anderson hitches are not structurally sound.  Internet is full of photos of broken, collapsed, or otherwise seriously damaged hitches.  My B&W hitch is heavy, but it's not going anywhere in an accident.

My thoughts exactly. When I am towing 16,500 lbs, I want the connection to the truck to be substantial. My Reese Elite 25K is also heavy, but similar to your B&W, it isn't going anywhere in an accident.