Navigation Trailering Option

Joeyd9590

A few weeks I had a trailering option for my navigation pop up but then went away. I was in the trail period with my new 22 F350. During that time, I only saw the option once and it’s never been there since. Anyway, I got a message today trying to get me to sign up for the connected nav and it mentions the trailering option for F150 owners. Anyone have this option available in their nav subscription? It would be worth purchasing the subscription if that option was available otherwise I’m not going to use the connected nav as I use other means. 

I wonder why they don’t make it available for the super duty models, the trucks are more likely to have an issue with height/weight compared to the 150. 

FCB32273-2613-4C9B-AE17-BD472ECFE1F8.png

2 hours ago, akirby said:

What is a “trailering option”?

What he means is a way to enter your trailer height and maybe length etc. and the nav will direct you on routes that don't have clearance issues.

Never heard of "connected navigation". is that a ford thing?  There are apps for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Durango said:

What he means is a way to enter your trailer height and maybe length etc. and the nav will direct you on routes that don't have clearance issues.

Never heard of "connected navigation". is that a ford thing?  There are apps for that.

Ok that makes sense but I didn’t realize that nav maps tracked that.

Connected.Navigation is internet based and requires a subscription.  Supposedly you get up to date traffic Info and maps and other real time features.

I use my Sirius subscription for those things.  It gives me location based weather, fuel prices and location, traffic routing and more. Why pay for a connected subscription?

We use RV Life Pro trip wizard to plan our routes and provide navigation specific to our truck/trailer set-up.  It adds other features too and so far we have not ripped anything off the roof of our travel trailer yet.

1 hour ago, NH_Bulldog said:

I use my Sirius subscription for those things.  It gives me location based weather, fuel prices and location, traffic routing and more. Why pay for a connected subscription?

Because with sync 4 you don’t get that info (live traffic, etc) without connected navigation.  No more Sirius Link.

Apparently Ford made the special "Trailer Navigation" feature only available to "select" vehicles, including the F-150. Which makes zero sense whatsoever since it's the truck least likely to need such a feature when you don't see that many of them pulling a 13.5' 5th Wheel. That's been one of my biggest beefs about the Super Duty series is that it seems last on the list for technology upgrades. And that's not just Sync-4, but other features as well.

6 hours ago, AtlasBlue350 said:

Apparently Ford made the special "Trailer Navigation" feature only available to "select" vehicles, including the F-150. Which makes zero sense whatsoever since it's the truck least likely to need such a feature when you don't see that many of them pulling a 13.5' 5th Wheel. That's been one of my biggest beefs about the Super Duty series is that it seems last on the list for technology upgrades. And that's not just Sync-4, but other features as well.

But isn’t it also true that those super duty owners are more likely to already know that info and therefore less likely to need or use it?  As opposed to a F150 owner who only does this occasionally?

8 hours ago, AtlasBlue350 said:

I agree, it should be there on the Super Duty, but my guess is that the Sync 4 in the Super Duty is slightly different than the F150 for some reason.  Maybe it's older hardware in the Super Duty since the big screen was just a one-year holdover until the '23 comes out.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

But isn’t it also true that those super duty owners are more likely to already know that info and therefore less likely to need or use it?  As opposed to a F150 owner who only does this occasionally?

Well, not really.  The trailering option would be perfect for those towing fifth wheels with a Super Duty.  The F150 is much less likely to have a fifth wheel behind it, and that's when you need to route around lower overpasses and such, especially in areas you aren't familiar with.  This feature would be much more suitable in a Super Duty than an F150 for these reasons.  Many folks use a separate nav system (Garmin RV Nav or RV Life app) to handle this.

1 hour ago, fordmantpw said:

Well, not really.  The trailering option would be perfect for those towing fifth wheels with a Super Duty.  The F150 is much less likely to have a fifth wheel behind it, and that's when you need to route around lower overpasses and such, especially in areas you aren't familiar with.  This feature would be much more suitable in a Super Duty than an F150 for these reasons.  Many folks use a separate nav system (Garmin RV Nav or RV Life app) to handle this.

Ah ok more common than I thought.  

There was a long thread about this on another forum.  Apparently it was on early Sync 4 Super Duty’s, but went away with an update. 

Super Duty owners are much more likely to be towing a big 5th wheel or other large trailer, and I think that is why Ford disabled it. They don’t want the liability of a 5th wheel smacking a bridge they had the wrong info on.  Then the truck owner wants his camper fixed, and the state wants their bridge fixed. Not to mention if the A/C gets scraped off and goes through the windshield of the car behind them. 

5 hours ago, wowens79 said:

There was a long thread about this on another forum.  Apparently it was on early Sync 4 Super Duty’s, but went away with an update. 

Super Duty owners are much more likely to be towing a big 5th wheel or other large trailer, and I think that is why Ford disabled it. They don’t want the liability of a 5th wheel smacking a bridge they had the wrong info on.  Then the truck owner wants his camper fixed, and the state wants their bridge fixed. Not to mention if the A/C gets scraped off and goes through the windshield of the car behind them. 

Well if Ford is worried about the liability of a collision caused by by their Trailer Navigation system, then there is no purpose in having it in the first place. I don't see any advantage of having it whatsoever over their normal Nav system.

• ice-capades changed the title to Navigation Trailering Option
On 8/23/2022 at 7:05 AM, akirby said:

I have used the Rand Mcnally/Good Sam RV GPS for this and even if it was included on my F-450, I would still use the Rand Mcnally. It also includes length, weight and amount of propane when selecting routes, so is more comprehensive than the Ford Nav. Having used it for 10 yrs, we have also built up a level of trust in its accuracy.

Since I can get updated maps on my Rand Mcnally, I see no point in paying Ford for their connected Nav.