Ford Confirms Layoffs, Says It Is Cutting About 3,000 Jobs - WSJ

18 hours ago, akirby said:

You're assuming they can be solved.  Those of us who have done this type of critical software for a living aren’t so sure.  Not 100%.  And you can’t turn this loose on all public streets without a driver until all of those known scenarios are accounted for.  Because there will always be unknowns on top of the knowns.  Until then it will be restricted use in known areas in good weather and a driver aid.

Again I agree, but turning it loose with a driver (with an acceptable safety score) behind the wheel in a beta program is the only way you possibly solve it in a reasonable amount of time. Not saying 100% they will, just that I'm both impressed and surprised by the progress so far and believe they are closest of anyone trying. Assuming everything else works flawlessly there are still the .000000001% scenarios where there are no other options but to choose which person gets injured or killed. When does the AI get "smart" enough to make that call and how does it decide? These get even less likely if all the cars are running self driving software and communicating with each other, though personally I have no interest in letting the car drive for me in most circumstances.

1 hour ago, Captainp4 said:

Again I agree, but turning it loose with a driver (with an acceptable safety score) behind the wheel in a beta program is the only way you possibly solve it in a reasonable amount of time. Not saying 100% they will, just that I'm both impressed and surprised by the progress so far and believe they are closest of anyone trying. Assuming everything else works flawlessly there are still the .000000001% scenarios where there are no other options but to choose which person gets injured or killed. When does the AI get "smart" enough to make that call and how does it decide? These get even less likely if all the cars are running self driving software and communicating with each other, though personally I have no interest in letting the car drive for me in most circumstances.

Yes the progress to date is impressive from a technical standpoint.  The biggest problem that I see are scenarios where the interstate is blocked and the cops are directing people to drive the wrong way or to drive on the shoulder and the AVs just sit there blocking traffic indefinitely.  Or an officer telling you what to do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Last week, Ford announced the opening of its Research and Innovation Center in Atlanta. It is focused on software engineering, a field in which the Atlanta area has some of the best talent in the world. Ford Opens Atlanta Research and Innovation Center to Tap Local Tech Talent for Company’s Digital Transformation | Ford Media Center

ATLANTA, Oct. 13, 2022 – Ford Motor Company is opening the Ford Atlanta Research and Innovation Center (FARIC) to advance the company’s digital transformation in areas such as software-led connected vehicles, artificial intelligence, university research and more.

FARIC joins a network of Ford research and development facilities in Tel Aviv and Palo Alto dedicated to pioneering the future of transportation with automated, connected and electrified vehicles. Now, the new Atlanta location places Ford in one of the most diverse tech talent markets in the U.S. and enables the company to develop a pipeline of software experts with a variety of backgrounds.

“Ford is transitioning from a traditional automotive company to a digital products and services company driven by software innovation,” said Jim Buczkowski, executive director for Ford Research, Advanced Engineering. “There’s a high demand for tech talent across industries, and we have an opportunity to create non-traditional career pathways to attract and develop the expertise needed to stay competitive.”

As the company undergoes the most profound transformation in its history, it remains committed to developing a workforce that reflects the communities and customers that it serves. For Ford, this includes attracting and retaining historically underrepresented talent, especially in the software engineering and high technology fields.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of changes to Ford upper management announced this week. Ford quality chief retires as CEO tries to boost reliability | AP News

• Stuart Rowley, chief transformation and quality officer, retires Dec. 1, 2022. Jim Baumbick will take that position. 
  • Joy Falotico, president of Lincoln, retires Dec. 1, 2022. Dianne Craig will take that position.
  • Steven Armstrong, VP for India and South America transformation, retires Dec. 1, 2022. Not clear if that position will remain
  • Josh Halliburton, formerly with J.D. Power will now be Ford's executive director of quality