2023 Escape PHEV Shown Completely Uncovered

• ice-capades changed the title to 2023 Escape PHEV Shown Completely Uncovered
3 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

I wish the photogs would get a good shot of the interior so we can determine exactly which screen is going into the refresh. I *think* the article is wrong about production starting on November 1, IIRC ice-capades posted an update that production had been moved back to November 28.

Correct... Job #1 Date is 11/28/2022. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bzcat said:

It does look better. Shows you how minor changes really make a difference and begs the question how the original design sailed through. 

I wonder if their research data was a bit old and the styling not reaching buyers

who now have a ton of different compacts to choose from…..

hybrids and PHEVs still have a lot to offer and I hope the government

fine tunes it’s future support of electrification to include them

Edited by jpd80

9 hours ago, bzcat said:

It does look better. Shows you how minor changes really make a difference and begs the question how the original design sailed through. 

I always liked the original design, never understood the hate it got. It was a good looking crossover, slightly generic, but not ugly at all. 

6 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I always liked the original design, never understood the hate it got. It was a good looking crossover, slightly generic, but not ugly at all. 

As an owner of the current model, we didn’t believe it was ugly either, but this new photo does suggest a nice improvement in the looks department.  I wasn’t sure that was going to be the case, based on the previous photos.  

Ford Authority had an opinion article about making the hybrid powertrain standard in the 2023, and I agree that could potentially be a real sales booster. However, I’m unclear about Fords commitment to anything ICE related based on their rhetoric, even though the hybrid system has an electric component to it.  

• Like 1

2023 Ford Escape Should Come Standard As A Hybrid: Opinion

https://fordauthority.com/2022/08/2023-ford-escape-should-come-standard-as-a-hybrid-opinion/

Recently, Ford Authority spied a 2023 Ford Escape out and about without any camouflage, finally giving us a good look at the upcoming crossover’s styling. Judging from what we saw, it seems that The Blue Oval is looking to shake things up in the compact crossover segment, since the Escape seems to have partially moved on from its unpainted plastic body molding in favor of body-colored trim. We think there’s something major that could make the Escape even more compelling, though. What if the 2023 Ford Escape was equipped with a hybrid drivetrain as standard?

2023-Ford-Escape-Refresh-First-Uncovered-Photos-June-2022-Exterior-006-720x480.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone said:

Ford Authority had an opinion article about making the hybrid powertrain standard in the 2023, and I agree that could potentially be a real sales booster. However, I’m unclear about Fords commitment to anything ICE related based on their rhetoric, even though the hybrid system has an electric component to it.  

The underlying issue is probably having sufficient availability of the battery and CVT for the hybrid. I would bet that Ford barely have enough for the Maverick as is - they certainly are dragging their feet on producing even the amount of hybrid Escapes they build now, much less the PHEV version.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think Ford have the supply to support it.

• Like 3

I still don’t think this design does enough. The problem with this generation of escape IMO is that it already looks dated. It has some of the same styling cues as my 2013 fusion. The current face also looks like it’s smiling at you, which really kills any design. The facelift gets rid of the smiley face, but then it copied the oldest vehicle in ford’s lineup (edge grille), which still doesn’t help it’s dated look. The aggressive look of the headlights is a nice touch, but they don’t seem to flow well with the rest of the body. The whole segment seems to be trending to a more sporty/aggressive design, and the escape completely misses that boat.

its definitely better then the current model, but I’m not sure this will do much to help the escapes position in the compact segment.

Edited by T-dubz

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I still don’t think this design does enough. The problem with this generation of escape IMO is that it already looks dated. It has some of the same styling cues as my 2013 fusion. The current face also looks like it’s smiling at you, which really kills any design. The facelift gets rid of the smiley face, but then it copied the oldest vehicle in ford’s lineup (edge grille), which still doesn’t help it’s dated look. The aggressive look of the headlights is a nice touch, but they don’t seem to flow well with the rest of the body. The whole segment seems to be trending to a more sporty/aggressive design, and the escape completely misses that boat.

its definitely better then the current model, but I’m not sure this will do much to help the escapes position in the compact segment.

Have you seen the competition?

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Have you seen the competition?

Yes, pretty much the equinox is the only one I wouldn’t buy over the escape, and that will probably change when the equinox EV comes out. The new CRV almost looks like a luxury vehicle next to the escape.

10 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

The underlying issue is probably having sufficient availability of the battery and CVT for the hybrid. I would bet that Ford barely have enough for the Maverick as is - they certainly are dragging their feet on producing even the amount of hybrid Escapes they build now, much less the PHEV version.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think Ford have the supply to support it.

Yep.  They’re already struggling to keep up with demand for Escape Hybrid and PHEV, Corsair PHEV, Maverick Hybrid.  Plus now they’ve got 1.5L EB (dragon) production dialed in. That and Escape Hybrid is a $1,800 up charge now over dragon, so I don’t see raising the price to cover that.  Nice idea but they need to add a lot of capacity for that, then what do they do with dragon?