HVAC issue

chicken

We recently received our 2022 reserve navigator to replace our 2019 model due to ongoing issues with it.  One thing I noticed in the 2022 is the AC is very different compared to our 2019.  We live outside of SF and it gets really hot during the summer with temps peaking over 100+  With the 2019 navigator we never had to use the max cold button on the AC.  We would set it around 65 and it kept the inside of the vehicle perfect.  This new navigator if we set it to 65 it pretty much turns the air to the lowest setting and barely blows any air.  If I keep lowering the temp the speed does not change, unlike our 2019.  Not until I get to 60 degrees does it speed up somewhat.  When I set it to low it speeds up a little more but does not really keep the car that cool when it super hot out.  If I hit max cold it gets slightly cooler but only seems to be running like 2/3 the speed of max on our 2019.  I am curious if anyone else has a 2022 sees similar AC behavior?  I am going to make a service appointment to take it it but this almost seems like a software issue.  Thanks!

Something is definitely amiss. I am in South Florida and my AC works year round and I’ve never experienced that. Recently had the evaporator die (at the start of a long road trip, naturally).

In my experience, the thermostat just indicates at what temperature the air comes out based  on the current temperature and also controls the fan speed when set to auto. I believe all Max Cold does is turn the fan on high, temperature to Lo, and turn on cabin air recirculating. 

Have it checked out.

Edited by HofstraJet

On 8/30/2022 at 8:23 AM, HofstraJet said:

Something is definitely amiss. I am in South Florida and my AC works year round and I’ve never experienced that. Recently had the evaporator die (at the start of a long road trip, naturally).

In my experience, the thermostat just indicates at what temperature the air comes out based  on the current temperature and also controls the fan speed when set to auto. I believe all Max Cold does is turn the fan on high, temperature to Lo, and turn on cabin air recirculating. 

Have it checked out.

I have an appointment next week.  It would have been 4 weeks if I wanted a loaner vehicle though ?.  Is that something you guys are a lot?  If you want a loaner while they do work it’s X weeks out vs if you don’t its next week?  Thx 

On 8/30/2022 at 11:09 AM, chicken said:

We recently received our 2022 reserve navigator to replace our 2019 model due to ongoing issues with it.  One thing I noticed in the 2022 is the AC is very different compared to our 2019.  We live outside of SF and it gets really hot during the summer with temps peaking over 100+  With the 2019 navigator we never had to use the max cold button on the AC.  We would set it around 65 and it kept the inside of the vehicle perfect.  This new navigator if we set it to 65 it pretty much turns the air to the lowest setting and barely blows any air.  If I keep lowering the temp the speed does not change, unlike our 2019.  Not until I get to 60 degrees does it speed up somewhat.  When I set it to low it speeds up a little more but does not really keep the car that cool when it super hot out.  If I hit max cold it gets slightly cooler but only seems to be running like 2/3 the speed of max on our 2019.  I am curious if anyone else has a 2022 sees similar AC behavior?  I am going to make a service appointment to take it it but this almost seems like a software issue.  Thanks!

Hi chicken. While this is probably not the cause of your low air volume issue, I figured better to play it safe and mention it: If the climate control system settings in your Navigator is similar to my MKZ (I would think it should be), there is a climate control setting to limit the highest allowable fan speed during AUTO AC use. It can be set to limit the system to a low fan speed, allow a medium fan speed, or high (no fan speed limit). If you have it set to low, the AC system will only use a low fan speed while set to AUTO, no matter the temp setting. It will not use a higher airflow setting.

The situation you are describing sounds as though it may be a case of the AUTO Fan Speed setting being set to low.

So before you bring your vehicle in for service, give it a quick check to be sure you do not have the AUTO fan speed setting set to the low limit.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

1 hour ago, HofstraJet said:

That’s pretty cool (no pun intended). Had no idea that feature existed. ?

Yes, and I find that running the system in AUTO works best. It takes all the various inputs and adjusts everything accordingly, including keeping the windows from fogging up. In my 2020 and now 2022, I never once have had foggy windows as the system magically does everything.