Ford Sales - August 2022

Ford Sales - August 2022

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2022/09/02/ford-2022-august-sales.html

Strong August Makes Ford America’s Best-Selling Brand Again; No. 2 Electric Vehicle Brand on Record Sales of F 150 Lightning, Strong Mustang Mach E Gain and E Transit Van

Ford is America’s best selling brand for the second month in a row. While sales for the overall industry were up 4.8 percent over a year ago, Ford grew at a faster pace of 27.3 percent for the month. Ford
total market share increased 2.4 percentage points from August of last year to its current level of 13.4 percent for the month.

Ford Sales_2022-08.pdf

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Farley has to be pleased... his strategy is starting to the results that we all thought was possible with proper execution.

The decision to push icnonic brands to the front of the EV development is obviously the right call in retrospct. Can you imagine if Mustang Mach E was called C-Max and Lightning had no association with F-150? They probably would be forgotten already.

And you really have to wonder why some people thought the decision to end car sales and put all the resources into getting utitilities right was controversial. The data was already telling us cars was done in the US but some people just refused to believe it. I have no doubt that Ford is making more money on the 48k Maverick it sold than the 150k Fiesta and Focus it sold the last year they were both offered. Same with the 70k Bronco Sport vs. the 125k Fusion.

BTW, some of us wrote Escpae's arbituary too early... Ford has managed to make enough tweaks to keep the model selling and the mid cycle update is looking quite promosing. It is still massacred by RAV4 and CR-V but things are looking ok now. Ford has stablized the freefall and I'm sure Farley has taken charge of the mid cycle refresh applying lessons from Bronco Sport and Maverick. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Farley has to be pleased... his strategy is starting to the results that we all thought was possible with proper execution.

These highlights from the August 2022 sales press release confirm that Farley has the right strategy, emphasizing BEV, software-based technologies and features, and retail sold orders, as well as proper execution of that strategy. Very impressive results that clearly demonstrate Ford's success transitioning from the "old world" of the automotive industry to the "new world".

• No. 2 Electric Vehicle Brand.
  • Ford electric vehicle sales expanded four-fold over a year ago, growing almost four times faster than the EV segment and conquesting from competitors at a rate over 60 percent.
  • Ford E-Transit sales through August totaled 3,938 electric vans, dominating the electric van segment with over 90 percent share of the segment. 
  • More than 75,000 customers have enrolled in Ford BlueCruise and Lincoln ActiveGlide, up 13 percent from July.
  • For the fifth straight month, more than 50 percent of Ford retail sales came from previously placed orders.

Remember, a lot of what we’re seeing is also recovery to normal numbers vs. the craziness of the last couple years.

it’s been hard to put too much stock into ANY sales numbers given the parts limitations (a given model could be way up one month and way down the next).  A true comparison would be to 2019 numbers.

and that’s not me saying the results aren’t good.  They are, and it’s nice to finally see a lot more green on the charts, but just putting some realistic perspective on things.

im traveling right now otherwise I’d post my usual charts.  I will after the long weekend, I can also see if I have ‘19 numbers to compare.  I don’t recall if I do or not.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Remember, a lot of what we’re seeing is also recovery to normal numbers vs. the craziness of the last couple years.

it’s been hard to put too much stock into ANY sales numbers given the parts limitations (a given model could be way up one month and way down the next).  A true comparison would be to 2019 numbers.

and that’s not me saying the results aren’t good.  They are, and it’s nice to finally see a lot more green on the charts, but just putting some realistic perspective on things.

To that point YTD sales are almost identical.

34 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

What happened to bronco sport? Is it being hit by supply constraints? I thought a few months ago it was selling almost double digits.

Correct, it’s a bit like crop rotation to keep Louisville, Hermosillo and Oakville ticking over. You can see that Bronco Sport, Maverick, Escape and Edge could all sell way more than they are. Absolutely frustrating to have good products and not be able to fill out production and sales.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bzcat said:

I have no doubt that Ford is making more money on the 48k Maverick it sold than the 150k Fiesta and Focus it sold the last year they were both offered. Same with the 70k Bronco Sport vs. the 125k Fusion 

Yet another apples/oranges comparison inferring that pitting profitability of long in the tooth models vs. brand new ones is somehow valid. 

22 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Yet another apples/oranges comparison inferring that pitting profitability of long in the tooth models vs. brand new ones is somehow valid. 

Those models were never that profitable even before they were long in the tooth.  If you can’t see the difference in bargain priced commodity vehicles with 6-8 competitors and no distinguishing features and $4k rebates compared to vehicles that people are reserving and buying with emotion and happily paying MSRP even before the supply chain shortages then you’re just not paying attention.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Those models were never that profitable even before they were long in the tooth.  If you can’t see the difference in bargain priced commodity vehicles with 6-8 competitors and no distinguishing features and $4k rebates compared to vehicles that people are reserving and buying with emotion and happily paying MSRP even before the supply chain shortages then you’re just not paying attention.

Conversely, the replacement Mavericks and Bronco Sports production is heavily restricted

and thus, cannot give the complete ROI that Ford was expecting, profitable compacts are a

difficult exercise even in the best of times.

Once the market moved to utilities, keeping Fusion vs Bronco Sport./Maverick was an easy answer.

The only way that cars make a comeback is if they’re BEVs and desirable to buyers (that’s tricky).

Edited by jpd80
Grammar

7 hours ago, akirby said:

BS and Maverick both came out after covid related supply chain shortages began. Further, new vehicles selling at or above MSRP is currently the norm. My point is that comparisons between brand new models and the old vehicles they are replacing aren’t apples/apples as many try to infer. 

8 hours ago, akirby said:

But, again, people paying MSRP and above does not benefit the profitability of Ford (the manufacturer), only the profitability of the dealers.  You don't hear dealers complaining that Ford is adding thousands in markup's to their invoice cost, post-order.  Yes, the elimination of rebates and incentives has helped the profitability at the Ford level, but that's the devil that the manufacturers created in order to move product, when the almighty sales-volume number was the only metric they cared about.

Who cares if you sell 10 million of something, if you lose money doing it?

HRG

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Compared to July, Bronco Sport dropped 3,000 sales and Maverick dropped 3,500 sales,

Escape picked up over 3,000 sales and Edge sales were flat.

Around me I've noticed Edge inventory is much better than Escape, which itself isn't quite as good as Bronco Sport. Good luck finding a Maverick. 

10 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

The only thing that ever made Focus profitable was a large loan from the Department of Energy to retool MAP in 2011/12. Once volume started dropping in 2015 it erased whatever slim margin there was. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

...Yes, the elimination of rebates and incentives has helped the profitability at the Ford level, but that's the devil that the manufacturers created in order to move product, when the almighty sales-volume number was the only metric they cared about.

You can thank Chrysler for "inventing" the rebate...

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/18/business/gm-and-ford-offer-cash-rebates-that-are-largest-ever-for-industry.html

The first rebates of the modern era were offered by Chrysler in January 1975 when it offered up to $500 to move its slow-selling smaller cars in a promotion called the ''Car Clearance Carnival.'' Within two months A.M.C., Ford and General Motors had made competitive offers.

Edited by twintornados

7 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

BS and Maverick both came out after covid related supply chain shortages began. Further, new vehicles selling at or above MSRP is currently the norm. My point is that comparisons between brand new models and the old vehicles they are replacing aren’t apples/apples as many try to infer. 

I understand your point but they would be selling at MSRP regardless.   I follow Maverick and Bronco Sport forums and groups and the passion for these vehicles is like night and day compared to Fusion and Focus buyers,   They gladly pay $5k over MSRP.  They can’t wait to customize them and they have almost no direct competition.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

But, again, people paying MSRP and above does not benefit the profitability of Ford (the manufacturer), only the profitability of the dealers.  You don't hear dealers complaining that Ford is adding thousands in markup's to their invoice cost, post-order.  Yes, the elimination of rebates and incentives has helped the profitability at the Ford level, but that's the devil that the manufacturers created in order to move product, when the almighty sales-volume number was the only metric they cared about.

The point is rebates are not required to sell them AND Ford can raise their prices which they’ve done several times.  So of course it helps Ford’s bottom line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

It was Chrysler that started it in the Mid 70's and Lee Iaccoca rev'ed it up with his famous "Buy a car, get a check!" campaign. 

Lee Iacocca had written about it in his first book. The dealers wanted more K cars and Omni/ Horizon /tc4Turismo/ Charger models, but Chrysler had a huge glut of cars like Codobra, Mirada, S.t Regis and other such automotive misfits. He said to the dealers, "We can't unmake them, so you have to sell them" Chrysler then came up with a rebate program and that annoying nationwide radio ad with the frogs saying, "rebate rebate" instead of ribbit ribbit.