Bronco/Bronco Sport Buyers love accessories

Average Bronco customer spends average of $1,700 on official accessories from Ford. (Autonews paywall)

Average Bronco Sport customer spends average of $800 on official accessories from Ford.

And that doesn’t count all of the non Ford accessories and upgrades.  I expect Maverick to be just below Bronco Sport.

THIS is why vehicles like Bronco, Bronco Sport and Maverick command higher ATPs and little to no incentives.  They generate real passion that most sedan buyers just don’t share.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Average Bronco customer spends average of $1,700 on official accessories from Ford. (Autonews paywall)

Average Bronco Sport customer spends average of $800 on official accessories from Ford.

And that doesn’t count all of the non Ford accessories and upgrades.  I expect Maverick to be just below Bronco Sport.

THIS is why vehicles like Bronco, Bronco Sport and Maverick command higher ATPs and little to no incentives.  They generate real passion that most sedan buyers just don’t share.

True that buyers want kayak racks, bike carriers, rooftop tents, etc, but often dealer inventory vehicles in those lines get loaded down with stripe packages, running boards Raptor Grilles, lift kits, lighting, aftermarket tire/wheel combos etc.  No "market adjustment," just five or six grand + worth of bling.

That’s good news. Pretty good justification for dealers to get the bronco outfitters display. Im a bit surprised by the sport, although it does have some pretty pricey accessories (the tent for example is $2500), which probably skew the numbers a bit. I’d like to see the median value to paint a better picture, but in the end it doesn’t really matter to ford as long as it’s getting paid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

That’s good news. Pretty good justification for dealers to get the bronco outfitters display. Im a bit surprised by the sport, although it does have some pretty pricey accessories (the tent for example is $2500), which probably skew the numbers a bit. I’d like to see the median value to paint a better picture, but in the end it doesn’t really matter to ford as long as it’s getting paid.

Most definitely T-dubz. Good news for Ford and for Bronco/Bronco Sport customers alike. Ford has been very successful promoting those vehicles as status-oriented, active lifestyle products, just like Range Rovers, certain Jeeps, and high-end pickup trucks. In the Strategic Vision NVES, attributes that 4x4 truck and SUV owners (including Bronco and Bronco Sport) said are important to them more often than the average for all cars and light trucks are.

• "the ability to outperform others"
  • "to look good while driving"
  • "to present a tough image"
  • "to have their vehicle act as extension of their personality"
  • "to stand out in a crowd"

These characteristics lend themselves perfectly to a healthy business for Ford approved, official vehicle accessories.

Edited by rperez817

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

See, Ford can customise and accessorise when it suits them

but don’t ever offer a car that can be built 33,000 different ways…LOL

With accessories, other companies handle manufacturing and dealers handle sales and installation. Ford gets revenue from licensing those accessories as "approved". And at least some of the accessory cost for the customer can be incorporated into a vehicle loan or lease agreement with Ford Credit. It's a win all around for Ford, dealers, and customers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

See, Ford can customise and accessorise when it suits them

but don’t ever offer a car that can be built 33,000 different ways…LOL

99% of sedan buyers don’t want to customize anything.  That’s the difference.  

This isn’a as much about the accessories themselves, it’s about how the buyers feel about these vehicles.  They are not commodities.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

99% of sedan buyers don’t want to customize anything.  That’s the difference.  

This isn’a as much about the accessories themselves, it’s about how the buyers feel about these vehicles.  They are not commodities.

I’m being sarcastic regarding variability with vehicles and you’re right, you can’t compare desirable product with a commodity.

The irony here was that no one asked Ford to make a Fusion 33,000 different ways,  Ford volunteered  that information as an excuse to cut models and put it on skids. I would argue that level of variability was never needed, even in the years where Hermosillo was buzzing on three shifts (2015/2016)

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I’m being sarcastic regarding variability with vehicles and you’re right, you can’t compare desirable product with a commodity.

The irony here was that no one asked Ford to make a Fusion 33,000 different ways,  Ford volunteered  that information as an excuse to cut models and put it on skids. I would argue that level of variability was never needed, even in the years where Hermosillo was buzzing on three shifts (2015/2016)

A very interesting read is John DeLorean's book "On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors" that includes John giving a lot of examples of the problems and costs associated with vehicle production complexity when he ran both Chevrolet and Pontiac.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Oh yeah the option packaging was pretty stupid across the board and it’s only marginally bette today.  But not the point.  Some people still don’t understand the difference between selling hot dogs alongside 7 other hot dog stands vs selling lobster rolls.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Oh yeah the option packaging was pretty stupid across the board and it’s only marginally bette today.  But not the point.  Some people still don’t understand the difference between selling hot dogs alongside 7 other hot dog stands vs selling lobster rolls.

I get it, lifestyle vehicles offer so much scope to customise, Ford simply picking the easy low hanging fruit.

the only a car makes sense these days is if it’s not a Camry competitor, it needs to be both desirable and a Tesla competitor.

That’s why I was hoping that the new, bigger Mondeo was more than just a hybrid, slide a GE2 electric chassis under it and presto, a vehicle that would interest many buyers.

Edited by jpd80