Nitrogen Filled Tires!

bobbyd

I was advised by my Ford Sales guy that my 2022 Ford Escape (Still at plant since Aug 17) will have nitrogen filled tires (Green Valve Stems). I'm welcomed to visit the dealer service for any refills at no cost whenever I need. Of course, that means driving 10 miles to stand in line to simply add air ! I'm told it's slightly better for your tires, but such a hassle to find anyone that has it...and also heard they charge to do it. I'm wondering if I should simply just add air from the convenience of my garage...since all tires lose air (nitrogen included)..especially with winter approaching! 

So is the dealer filling them with nitrogen, because I highly doubt the factory would.  Also most nitrogen filled tires aren't 100% pure nitrogen, close, but I doubt they are getting 100% pure.  The main benefit is that it is dry and doesn't leak as much, so if you have a dryer filter on a home air compressor, you are probably better off.  Or you can do like most people and just check the tires every month or watch the pressure monitor.

Here is what the experts at Tirerack say: SHOULD I USE NITROGEN IN MY TIRES?

• Like 1

If true, that means the dealer is intending to deflate your tires and reinflate with nitrogen (technically just more nitrogen than the 78% already in the air).

As @Flying68 notes, dealers tend to charge for this "service", so I would beware of that.  Louisville Assembly (or really any Ford plant as far as I'm aware) does not fill with nitrogen, only air, so this would be done by your dealer.

Your Escape will have TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) to alert you of a flat tire per federal law, and will have readouts for each tire pressure on the instrument cluster display.  Feel free to ask for help finding it from your salesperson when you pick it up.

Side note, if there is a Costco near you, their tire centers have nitrogen fill stations.  They even have been going around putting in self-service stations where you enter the desired pressure and it'll shut off for you when it's reached.  No charge unless you want them to deflate and reinflate with nitrogen.

Edited by j2sys
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Flying68 said:

So is the dealer filling them with nitrogen, because I highly doubt the factory would.  Also most nitrogen filled tires aren't 100% pure nitrogen, close, but I doubt they are getting 100% pure.  The main benefit is that it is dry and doesn't leak as much, so if you have a dryer filter on a home air compressor, you are probably better off.  Or you can do like most people and just check the tires every month or watch the pressure monitor.

Here is what the experts at Tirerack say: SHOULD I USE NITROGEN IN MY TIRES?

Wow...I thank both you and j2sys for your excellent, accurate information. I just talked to my dealer and they confirmed the tires are deflated and reinflated with nitrogen only after delivery to the dealer. As mentioned : The plant does not put nitrogen in the tires! I requested they don't do it. Thanks a bunch for the valuable info!!

1 hour ago, j2sys said:

If true, that means the dealer is intending to deflate your tires and reinflate with nitrogen (technically just more nitrogen than the 78% already in the air).

As @Flying68 notes, dealers tend to charge for this "service", so I would beware of that.  Louisville Assembly (or really any Ford plant as far as I'm aware) does not fill with nitrogen, only air, so this would be done by your dealer.

Your Escape will have TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) to alert you of a flat tire per federal law, and will have readouts for each tire pressure on the instrument cluster display.  Feel free to ask for help finding it from your salesperson when you pick it up.

Side note, if there is a Costco near you, their tire centers have nitrogen fill stations.  They even have been going around putting in self-service stations where you enter the desired pressure and it'll shut off for you when it's reached.  No charge unless you want them to deflate and reinflate with nitrogen.

I truly appreciate the information. I had to talk to a couple people before they admitted they deflate and reinflate ! Thanks a bunch!

28 minutes ago, bobbyd said:

I truly appreciate the information. I had to talk to a couple people before they admitted they deflate and reinflate ! Thanks a bunch!

Tell them you prefer a very specific and exotic blend of 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen.  The benefit is if your vehicle sinks and you’re trapped you can actually breathe the air in the tires.  Can’t do that with 100% nitrogen!

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2022 at 10:00 AM, bobbyd said:

Wow...I thank both you and j2sys for your excellent, accurate information. I just talked to my dealer and they confirmed the tires are deflated and reinflated with nitrogen only after delivery to the dealer. As mentioned : The plant does not put nitrogen in the tires! I requested they don't do it. Thanks a bunch for the valuable info!!

Are they trying to charge you for the nitrogen tire fills? This is generally regarded as snake oil if it’s not free. 

I know of no professional hypermilers who use nitrogen in their tires. The main concern is to maintain equal pressure in each tire and no less than the minimum recommended by the car manufacturer. For best performance and top mpg I recommend the highest pressure recommended on the tire. For wear and handling with steel belted tires the pressure helps keep the tire tread flat on the road for turns and traction for braking and wet roads. The lighter the weight of the tires and rims make the biggest difference in mpg. Notice Ford uses special light weight rims and tires for low roll resistance and better EPA mileage ratings on most hybrids and electric cars and trucks. Most mistakes are when replacing the tires with a heavier tire than OEM. I look for lighter tires for replacement and sometimes Ford has better tires on their new models I use but never heavier tires than the OEM.    

• Like 1