Driving a New Ford E450 From RI to FL

Andrew L

So last week I was up in RI to help an old friend of mine escape the cold clutches of New England to escape to sunnier pastures in FL. Normally I wouldn't post anything about this since who cares its a box truck right? I have driven plenty of box trucks over the years... Ford, Chevy, or GMC and in every case they are beaten to hell and almost always have zilch for creature comforts. The night before we left I was over my friend's parents house and his dad was having a fire and a good bye party for his son. This is a guy who pretty much hates American cars (he's a big Toyota homer) but has a mid 90s F150 with a 5 speed manual and is only keeping it because it has a manual. He asked if I was driving the box truck and I said I was to which he responded with well you're in for a treat that thing is freaking sweet. My curiosity was peaked. I got to my friend's apartment early that morning and sure enough I was shocked... look at all the features it had:

Power Windows

Power Door Locks

Power Mirrors

LCD Cluster

Bluetooth Radio

USB and USB-C ports on the dash (this shocked me)

Radar Cruise Control

Lane Keep Assist

Automatic Headlamps with Auto High Beam

Auto dimming rear view mirror (lol useless) but it had the built in backup camera integrated into it

It also had the Godzilla V8 with a 6 speed automatic.  The auto was pretty smooth I barely felt it shift and the V8 had a very trucky sound to it but also that kind of classic V8 sound that I haven't heard in a long time.  Seats were comfortable and had an arm rest built into it which was a nice touch.  Honestly this thing was actually really nice to drive compared to every other box truck I have driven this thing was a very clear step (or 20 steps) above all of them.  

A few other notes it was a 16 foot box truck and it was filled to the max and I was able to average 12.3 MPG on it.  The highest I saw was 12.7 but it dropped in FL probably because by that point we were kind of pushing it since we were so close.  My biggest issue with it though was the interior was pretty noisy still I get it it's a freaking box truck but it would have been a little nicer if it had better sound proofing. We were using walkie talkies to communicate since we were in a 3 vehicle caravan and sometimes it was hard to hear them due to the boomy wind noise.

Anyway here are some pics and hope you guys enjoyed my weird fasination with this thing.  I honestly enjoyed driving it, it honestly could have been WAY worse.

?hash=022d2ba9fe5d7245f19422c92bfbcbdb

• Like 1