2024 Mustang Info

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Yep, spitting image.  ?

D039771A-BB26-4C27-98A8-77EF84580B8F.jpeg

990F454E-A8EF-47A4-BFEB-8F6565F6DBAB.jpeg

I may be the only one, but I don't mind the styling of the Mustang II. I certainly prefer its look over that of the 1971-73. Of course, its "performance" is terrible, but a restomod could take of that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

Sure hope so.

Hopefully not. The Thunderbird has had its time and should remain in the past. It's an example of being badly managed through multiple generations with the last successful model, sales wise, being 1983-1986. The 1987-1988 series was mediocre and the 1989+ series a complete disaster with excessive additions to the standard equipment list that priced it out of consideration for most buyers. Improvements is subsequent years were too late to improve sales, especially with consideration to the market changes at the time. The introduction of the all-new, limited production 2002 Thunderbird was a complete disaster based on the inferior Lincoln LS chassis and highly inflated Dealer ADM pricing, etc. The 4-year, limited production set at 25,000 vehicles per year ran for the first two years (2002 & 2003MY) and then dropped substantially due to lack of interest and sales.    

BirdLand Logo v640_96.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Yep, spitting image.  ?

D039771A-BB26-4C27-98A8-77EF84580B8F.jpeg

990F454E-A8EF-47A4-BFEB-8F6565F6DBAB.jpeg

Large trapezoid grille is a nod to the past without drawing anything more from Mustang II, probably a good thing.

The new Mustang has great differentiation from the current version which is important to revitalising sales one more time, it is now up to Ford to give buyers the best possible ICE versions of Mustang in its final years.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Hopefully not. The Thunderbird has had its time and should remain in the past.

Your opinion, not mine, or anybody who' has experience with the original two-seat Thunderbird of the 1950's (I do).  The 1957 F-code supercharged version was one of the fastest cars you could buy back then.  If that's what Ford is thinking, then by god, go for it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Your opinion, not mine, or anybody who' has experience with the original two-seat Thunderbird of the 1950's (I do).  The 1957 F-code supercharged version was one of the fastest cars you could buy back then.  If that's what Ford is thinking, then by god, go for it!

I know that Ford likes to call cars dead but maybe there’s an opportunity to bring them back as EVs.

Looking at at Dodge Charger EV, maybe there’s a way to have our cake and eate it too with Thunderbirds and Mustangs…

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 8:35 AM, justins said:

Who was the bright spark that looked at Mustang 2 and thought we need another one of those? 

The front end, the side glasshouse, the rear fastback... Lots of Mustang 2 influence, but why on gods green earth would you take influence from that abomination? 

I mean, this isn't hideous or anything, but the current gen is tougher, meaner... 

The way I see it, both the 2024 Mustang grille and Mustang II were both inspired by the classic 60s Mustang grilles, particularly the '67-'68 trapezoidal grille shape.
864462158_Mustanggrillecomparo01.thumb.jpg.47290cb04d34b713a74221e298634987.jpg

The inward kink on the trailing edge of the rear side windows makes it look more like (a skewed version of) the 1966 GT350's rear side windows than the Mustang II's long triangular side windows.
1448482724_Mustangrearsidewindowcomparo01.jpg.640e458a28407351c8f4b904cc298edc.jpg

Edited by AM222
  • Like 3

The new Ford Mustang could've been a four-door Mustang

Designers thinking about a Mustang sedan

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/new-ford-mustang-four-door

2024 Mustang Sedan_Concept.jpg

The 2024 Ford Mustang features refreshed styling compared to the current car, but it could've looked much more different.

A series of design sketches for the seventh-generation ‘Stang by chief designer Christopher Stevens that were released with the car's reveal at the Detroit Auto Show include a version that didn’t make the cut… yet.

It's a four-door sedan featuring a stretched wheelbase and roof that could potentially be a competitor to the likes of the BMW 4-series Gran Coupe and Porsche Panamera.

2024 Mustang_Design Sketches.jpg

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

The new Ford Mustang could've been a four-door Mustang

Designers thinking about a Mustang sedan

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/new-ford-mustang-four-door

2024 Mustang Sedan_Concept.jpg

The 2024 Ford Mustang features refreshed styling compared to the current car, but it could've looked much more different.

A series of design sketches for the seventh-generation ‘Stang by chief designer Christopher Stevens that were released with the car's reveal at the Detroit Auto Show include a version that didn’t make the cut… yet.

It's a four-door sedan featuring a stretched wheelbase and roof that could potentially be a competitor to the likes of the BMW 4-series Gran Coupe and Porsche Panamera.

2024 Mustang_Design Sketches.jpg

A four door Mustang could, in reality, be the next gen Thunderbird or Falcon for our friends "down under".

On 9/17/2022 at 1:37 PM, AGR said:

I may be the only one, but I don't mind the styling of the Mustang II. I certainly prefer its look over that of the 1971-73. Of course, its "performance" is terrible, but a restomod could take of that.

its the round headlights and large grill that gets me - same reason i like my 2007.    Don't get me wrong I like the new Mustang, removing the indent from the door and curving the back 1/4 window up gives it a bit of a porche inspired look, new headlamps are great.

Edited by Fordowner

On 9/17/2022 at 1:37 PM, AGR said:

I agree. That was my first car. People have to keep the time period in mind. Compared to other compact fuel economy cars, it was pretty good looking. Mine was solid red with a tan interior. It was sloooooow! But I was a kid, and the fuel economy allowed me to put money in the bank.

7 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

What are your overall thoughts on the design after seeing it in person? 

Honestly I can't really make up my mind on it. It's not something I have to have in my garage, I like the 550 way better. It's yet another in a line of recent Ford designs that for whatever reason doesn't photograph very well but looks better in person. 

13 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I don't think it looks like a Mustang II at all.  Unfortunately I think it looks like a 6th. gen. Camaro, particularly the profile.

This was something said over on GMI, that ther were clearly GM styling elements in the new Mustang, I think that’s nonsense but if the new Mustang reminds them of certain Camaro or Corvette styling well OK but that wasn’t really the plan. Looking at the below side profiles, I think the Gen 5 Camaro profile with longer wheelbase winds up making the car look chubbier while the ‘24 Mustang looks al lot more svelte…..

image.png.8fe361adfda78c297c0044a23b539d17.png

image.jpeg.ae654871ef1e05069f4abda6d1268c44.jpeg

Edited by jpd80

58 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

This was something said over on GMI, that ther were clearly GM styling elements in the new Mustang, I think that’s nonsense but if the new Mustang reminds them of certain Camaro or Corvette styling well OK but that wasn’t really the plan. Looking at the below side profiles, I think the Gen 5 Camaro profile with longer wheelbase winds up making the car look chubbier while the ‘24 Mustang looks al lot more svelte…..

Agreed, the single biggest difference between the S650 and 6th Gen is that the S650 isn't ugly.   

6thGenSS.JPG

I feel at times that people who compare how cars look completely lack the proper language to properly describe it. It’s like people saying the new Bronco looks like a Flex. 

The new Mustang might look like a Camaro after six beers, but to say they look the same is completely stupid. 

I also get the feeling that these are the same people who say that certain racial groups all look the same too. 

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I feel at times that people who compare how cars look completely lack the proper language to properly describe it. It’s like people saying the new Bronco looks like a Flex. 

The new Mustang might look like a Camaro after six beers, but to say they look the same is completely stupid. 

I also get the feeling that these are the same people who say that certain racial groups all look the same too. 

The whole issue on GMI was all about certain types liking the new Mustang more than the Camaro but not being able to admit it. Thats a good thing because without realising it, these are probably future Mustang buyers once Gen6 Camaro dies due to lack of sales…

• Like 1