2024 Mustang Info

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I feel at times that people who compare how cars look completely lack the proper language to properly describe it. It’s like people saying the new Bronco looks like a Flex. 

To be fair I used that as an example before the Bronco was shown to the public because I thought it was the best way to make the point without fully leaking it. I feel like certain people took that and ran with it and now it stuck. There's also the confusion between the Bronco and Bronco Sport in play too. 

16 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

That's Bronco Sport, and from some angles, it does bear more than a passing resemblance to the Flex. I've never seen an angle from which the Bronco looks like a Flex.

elongated boxy profile with a contrasting roof color.  That’s about the extent of it

On 9/20/2022 at 6:16 AM, 7Mary3 said:

I don't think it looks like a Mustang II at all.  Unfortunately I think it looks like a 6th. gen. Camaro, particularly the profile.

The S650's profile or silhouette is identical to the S550's.
2024-Mustang-side-vs-2015-Mustang-side.jpg.710f272674af68456d8cffa84cb34435.jpg

The flatter side/door surface with sharper lines can be seen on later 1st gen models like this 1970 Mustang.
hqdefault.jpg

Edited by AM222
  • Like 1

I'm no engineer and have not read or verified this upcoming statement, but I think the resemblance (side profile) to the Camaro could be a direct result of what FMC has found with the mustang's body in the racing series they participate in, mainly nascar for the S550.  Perhaps they found something in the  "haunches" that they are trying to capitalize on.  Even the Camry TRD in Nascar had exaggerated "haunches." 

Could be 100% wrong, but that is what sticks out to me.  

It's the quarters, the grill and tail end in profile.  I agree on the Mustang beltline, but I never liked the Mustang roofline.  Too tall and hunched up, both the Camaro and Challenger look better with flatter roofs.  Not saying the new Mustang looks bad, to me it just morphed a little closer to the 6th. gen. Camaro.

To me, it looks like a mild evolution of s550 with headlights I don't like for some reason even though they aren't very different than previous ones. I don't see the foxbody/mustang 2 comparisons.  I like the darkhorse. 

I kind of see the Camaro comparison, but I can't put my finger on why because it's not that much different than s550. Possibly the combination of uptick in rear quarter glass, sharpened quarter line, and upward slope on lower body line. I'm sure it's still distinctly Mustang if you were to see them side by side in person though.

39 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

To me, it looks like a mild evolution of s550 with headlights I don't like for some reason even though they aren't very different than previous ones. I don't see the foxbody/mustang 2 comparisons.  I like the darkhorse. 

I kind of see the Camaro comparison, but I can't put my finger on why because it's not that much different than s550. Possibly the combination of uptick in rear quarter glass, sharpened quarter line, and upward slope on lower body line. I'm sure it's still distinctly Mustang if you were to see them side by side in person though.

At least you can see out of it.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

At least you can see out of it.

I mean, I have no use for a pony car and will probably never own one unless it's a classic after I finish all my other projects so my opinion doesn't mean squat. Just saying what I see. It's all subjective anyway, that's the whole point of design. Some will love it and some will hate it.

Overall, this discussion about the 2024 Mustang reveal, the "Dark Horse" model or otherwise, is boring. I was looking forward to a next generation Mustang that would have a certain respective yet "Wow" factor and instead feeling underwhelmed at the next generation Mustang that was revealed. The constant comparisons to the Camaro are of little interest and seem to be a distraction from what should be comparisons, objective or otherwise, to the current Mustang and discussions about how this new design moves the Mustang forward in its last ICE mode. 

I'm missing any attention to detail, design wise, and seeing sharp lines in the front with a questionable triple headlamp effect, less body sculpting that define a Mustang, an overbearing rear spoiler and simplified but less defined rear taillights, etc. This is just my gut reaction to what I've seen, hoping that the actual vehicle in person will be more impressive. 

I also don't understand what the motivation was to call the new, high-end model the "Dark Horse" Mustang. The impression is negative overall. I can understand not wanting to resurrect a past Mustang model name but would think that Ford could have come up with a better new model name befitting the Mustang heritage. At least the "Stampede" theme that Ford was using in the promotion materials promoted a performance image.     

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I also don't understand what the motivation was to call the new, high-end model the "Dark Horse" Mustang.

Maybe they knew the guys across town were coming out with the "Black Ghost", and felt compelled to counter?

https://jalopnik.com/the-dodge-challenger-black-ghost-is-the-next-last-call-1849563994

HRG

57 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Overall, this discussion about the 2024 Mustang reveal, the "Dark Horse" model or otherwise, is boring. I was looking forward to a next generation Mustang that would have a certain respective yet "Wow" factor and instead feeling underwhelmed at the next generation Mustang that was revealed. The constant comparisons to the Camaro are of little interest and seem to be a distraction from what should be comparisons, objective or otherwise, to the current Mustang and discussions about how this new design moves the Mustang forward in its last ICE mode. 

I'm missing any attention to detail, design wise, and seeing sharp lines in the front with a questionable triple headlamp effect, less body sculpting that define a Mustang, an overbearing rear spoiler and simplified but less defined rear taillights, etc. This is just my gut reaction to what I've seen, hoping that the actual vehicle in person will be more impressive. 

I also don't understand what the motivation was to call the new, high-end model the "Dark Horse" Mustang. The impression is negative overall. I can understand not wanting to resurrect a past Mustang model name but would think that Ford could have come up with a better new model name befitting the Mustang heritage. At least the "Stampede" theme that Ford was using in the promotion materials promoted a performance image.     

This sums up my impression pretty well. Seems pretty phone-it-in for the last ICE mustang ever.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2022 at 3:05 PM, Captainp4 said:

This sums up my impression pretty well. Seems pretty phone-it-in for the last ICE mustang ever.

One might think it was poorly done on purpose so people will be more than happy when the much better looking EV coupe is introduced in a few years.

• Like 1

The S650 may not be the final ICE Mustang after all. At least, according to this Australian article, which quoted Farley saying the ICE Mustang lives on with the 8th generation, as long as customers want the V8. He was also quoted as saying the ICE will continue to be invested. To be fair though, it's possible Farley's quote was taken out of context by the author or the author was confused with what Farley may have meant to say. This is the only article out there regarding this tidbit with the ICE Mustang living on beyond the S650.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ford-mustang-future-petrol-power-safe-farley

2 hours ago, Havelock said:

One might think it was poorly done on purpose so people will be more than happy when the much better looking EV coupe is introduced in a few years.

Thanks Havelock, that makes perfect sense as it aligns with Ford's corporate goals for the Blue division (where the emphasis is on cost cutting) vs. Model e (where almost all innovation and growth at Ford from now on will take place).

1 hour ago, pffan1990 said:

The S650 may not be the final ICE Mustang after all. At least, according to this Australian article, which quoted Farley saying the ICE Mustang lives on with the 8th generation, as long as customers want the V8. He was also quoted as saying the ICE will continue to be invested. To be fair though, it's possible Farley's quote was taken out of context by the author or the author was confused with what Farley may have meant to say. This is the only article out there regarding this tidbit with the ICE Mustang living on beyond the S650.

Keep in mind that Farley is definitely working both sides of the street here and basically telling folks what they want to hear, that Ford is investing heavily in BEVs but also continuing with ICEs for those customers still wanting them.

To be clear here, there’s still enough ICE Mustang buyers to continue with an economical makeover that keeps sales coming and those buyers happy. There’s also a “last man standing” side to the equation and if ICE Camaro is dead, then maybe GM buyers will be open to buying a Mustang with what they see as the right styling…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

It would be pretty foolish for Farley to commit to keeping ICE for the 8th gen, or deciding to go ev only so early on. The 8th gen probably won't even start development for a few more years and he's telling us what powertrain options it will have. 

• Like 1