2023 Ford Super Duty Reveal Event

CharlieKelley

This had to be one of the worst conceived and executed product presentations I've ever seen. Not even worth commenting on really. Low budget, exterior product reveal at sunset while the sun goes down and the light gets lost, etc. It was embarrassing to see a major corporation do such a poor job unveiling a major, new product by its CEO that looked like an absolute slob.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

This had to be one of the worst conceived and executed product presentations I've ever seen. Not even worth commenting on really. Low budget, exterior product reveal at sunset while the sun goes down and the light gets lost, etc. It was embarrassing to see a major corporation do such a poor job unveiling a major, new product by its CEO that looked like an absolute slob.  

Agreed. Farley stumbled through what should have been a piece of cake speech, they showed remarkably little in the “reveal”, and offered little to no details in the way of tech specs. Pretty disappointing. 

• Like 2

I agree Ice, wasn't very smooth at all for a flagship line. 

From what I saw I'll keep my 22 that I'm happy with.  Certainly there are some cool features that I'm sure will come at a cost.  I think they missed the mark on the pro power or whatever it's called... should have been 3-3.5kw to be the most useful.  at 2kw it seems more of a gimmick.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, River Wild said:

From what I saw I'll keep my 22 that I'm happy with.  Certainly there are some cool features that I'm sure will come at a cost.  I think they missed the mark on the pro power or whatever it's called... should have been 3-3.5kw to be the most useful.  at 2kw it seems more of a gimmick.

Right? Especially in trucks with the 6.7… how do you not have capacity to go to a higher output when you’ve got a powerful engine and dual batteries as is? 2kW doesn’t get you very far running big boy tools. 

9 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I agree. The timing and lighting reminds me of the Expedition reveal fiasco few years ago where it was hard to watch the presentation screen. So it was good that they at least showed actual videos of the new Super Duty instead of the videos on the screens that the audience saw. I actually thought that Ford Pro leader Ted Cannis gave a great presentation. The way he spoke was passionate and energized. He spoke through it without any problems. But speaking of looking like a slob that you described Farley, what's the deal with Ted's hair? He looks like Kelso from "That 70s Show"! ?

9 hours ago, le engineer said:

Agreed. Farley stumbled through what should have been a piece of cake speech, they showed remarkably little in the “reveal”, and offered little to no details in the way of tech specs. Pretty disappointing. 

Am I the only one that usually cringes whenever Farley speaks? Something about the way he talks and presents is cringy. He is a smart businessman and a great car guy but I would rather read his interview quotes and his Tweets than hear him speak. He usually doesn't stumble like he did last night so I'm guessing he was nervous or didn't practice his speech.

Aside from the disappointing 'reveal', though, I do like the changes made to the Super Duty in general and simplifying the lineup, such as making 2WD only on XL. I'm guessing the Twin-I-Beam front suspension is still used on the XL 2WD? I do find it odd that we actually learn more from the pdfs and short videos that Ford posted online, and the videos that some YouTubers made with such details, than last night's reveal by Ford. There were too many speeches, and then finally the trucks drove and parked, and then more speeches. There was hardly anything to make it 'all new' as they had been calling it. The new S650 Mustang being marketed as 'all new'... sure, that makes sense due to lots of upgrades. But the Super Duty is literally just a refresh.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, River Wild said:

The pro power gadget is just an inverter.  The reveal said “5 times more power than the competition” which can also be Ford since we already have a built-in 400w inverter (5x400=2,000).  You can add your own 2,000 watt inverter for under $200.  Anything more really needs a hybrid powertrain like the F150 with the 7,200 w.  It is a feeble attempt at a useful feature, but fails miserably to fulfill the whole idea of the new Super Duty being built for work.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

Am I the only one that usually cringes whenever Farley speaks? Something about the way he talks and presents is cringy. He is a smart businessman and a great car guy but I would rather read his interview quotes and his Tweets than hear him speak. He usually doesn't stumble like he did last night so I'm guessing he was nervous or didn't practice his speech.

Many insiders will completely disagree with your assessment on being a smart businessman and great car guy.

Autoextremeists web site has had Farley in their sights while he was still in Europe.  Peter DeLorenzo has some phenomenal insider sources in many of OEMS, especially GM and Ford.

13 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Didn’t he cut the marketing budget?  He probably figured it didn’t matter if he phoned it in because it will sell no matter what, and they need that money for all the EV vehicles everyone is clamoring to get. 

I just realized it appears they have dumped the tailgate step in favor of the garbage bumper steps, ala GM. That is a major downgrade as far as I’m concerned.  I regularly use that step and the bumper steps are nowhere close to the same functionality.  I understand copying the mid bed step, but seriously, the bumper?  I hope I’m wrong about this. 

On 9/28/2022 at 9:34 PM, Power Kid said:

Nope tailgate step lives on. An option. And its improved being longer, closer to ground. 

Did anyone else notice that the step doesn’t have the pull-out handle that you hold onto while stepping up? The camera that’ll get busted on the first trip to Home Depot is taking its place to the left of the step…

8 hours ago, Diesel Dude said:

Did anyone else notice that the step doesn’t have the pull-out handle that you hold onto while stepping up? The camera that’ll get busted on the first trip to Home Depot is taking its place to the left of the step…

I'm pretty sure I saw it in one of the pics or videos.  I don't think they would remove that handle.