2017-2019 Explorer, best enginer/transmission

I think the 5th Generation [2011-2019] is the best Explorer ever in terms of public road behavior. It's the ultimate family SUV. The 2019's [the last year] are the best Gen 5's as Ford quietly corrected some known issues in the final year of production. The best engine during this generation was the transverse mounted 3.5L V6 engines - BUT - those engines also contain a potential problem. The BIG and really only major issue with the 5th Generation Explorers is the internal water pump inside the 3.5L V6's. This means a failure of the internal water pump turns a $200 repair into $2,000+. There are ways to protect the engine from the water pump failure. Routine oil changes with semi-synthetic or full-synthetic oil and coolant flushes every 30,000 miles or 3-years. I owned 4 5th Generation Explorers ['11; '14; '16; '19] and I still own the 2019. We did purchase the extended warranty so at the end of 8 years, I have to ask myself to I want to take the chance with the internal water pump or not. My favorite 5th Gens were/are the 2014 [we got the best gas mileage and it handled the best] and the 2019. We continue to absolutely love our 2019 Explorer. We will do the routine maintenance as described above. But after 8 years, I cannot guarantee that we will keep it due to the internal water pump. Stating that, we like the vehicle so much, we may keep it regardless.

• 3 months later...

I’ve owned several Fords. Currently have a 20 SD limited with a 23 on order, and a 19’ Expy that were ready to trade..

Anyway, we have a place in SW Florida.. Since it was east and relatively cheap, we simply rented cars for years. Not so anymore.

I’ve found the 16-19 gen Explorer be the best. We’ve rented several 20-22 explorers and honestly would never buy one. Always felt they were underpowered and the I4 suffered from serious turbo lag.

I just found a 19’ sport on line in Naples with 5, 600 miles on it. I bought it sight unseen. 
That engine, in that car is almost perfect. 

3F3FAD83-9918-47F3-8BA7-ED9FB973B0B8.jpeg

I don’t understand why people think the 2.0/2.3 ecoboosts are underpowered compared to the NA 3.5L in both the Edge and Explorer.

Just switched from the 3.5 edge/3.7MKX to a 2.0EB Nautilus and the 2.0 is far peppier and more fun to drive.  Same for my 3.0 fusion to a 2.0eb fusion.

To each his own I guess.

• Like 1

I get why Ford went with the smaller engines. Fuel mileage was key, but they are a double edged sword. 
The 4 cylinders have IMO, bad turbo lag when you step on the gas. Yeah, they run well, get very decent highway mileage,  but there is no torque and fall on their face until you get into the boost. Very annoying. 

Its just not something I wanted to deal with. I know what the 3.5TT is all about. 

Edited by George C
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, George C said:

I get why Ford went with the smaller engines. Fuel mileage was key, but they are a double edged sword. 
The 4 cylinders have IMO, bad turbo lag when you step on the gas. Yeah, they run well, get very decent highway mileage,  but there is no torque and fall on their face until you get into the boost. Very annoying. 

It’s just not something I wanted to deal with. I know what the 3.5TT is all about. 

I’m not sure which one you’ve driven but I’ve owned several including a current 2.0L and 3.5L and there is absolutely no turbo lag thanks to smaller turbos.  They do run out of oomph around 5K rpm but definitely no lag.  

You might be confusing the ETC delay which is done on purpose to make everyday driving smoother.

That’s possible I guess, or possibly gear hunting. Again, I’ve rented several explorers through the past few years , and found the 4 cylinder drive train the main reason why I went backwards to the last offering of the 3.5TT drive train. And of course I found the right 19’ to buy and the value was right.
I actually ordered a new 17 Limited 3.5 NA for Florida when we bought the house, and ended up cancelling because the car was held up for months because of commodity issues. My dealer suggested to go with the standard 3.5L , and after driving both, I agreed. JMO. Just a smoother drive train. 
Not anything big enough to not buy a new one, but the car will sit in a garage for 9 months. 

Edited by George C

• 1 month later...

I finally took possession of the Explorer in Florida where it will stay. 
It wasn’t the best week. It immediately wouldn’t start in our driveway. Pushed the button, and nothing..so it had to be flat-bedded back to the dealer. Got it back the next day.  The  Hyundai dealer where we purchased it said it was simply the fob. It gave me problems leaving, and I turned around and brought it back.. wouldn’t start for them, so problem communicated. 

This is a 19’ with 5,500 miles on it, and I was now wondering if I bought an electrical disaster.

They took it over to their Ford store down the street where their tech diagnosed it as a simple relay. The second I started it, I knew they nailed the problem. Two more weeks since and we’re all good

Whew….

A nice little SUV. Not as powerful as my wife’s 3.5L in her Expy, but much much better than the 4 banger. 
The only very small embarrassing complaint. Bigger engine…little gas tank. Requires fill ups more often. 

0486FD25-F7BC-45AC-A5D0-04527E7CE1EB.jpeg

Edited by George C
  • Like 1