2023 Escape

47 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Nope! LOL I actually grew up in that town and most of the roads where paved by the 1980s

Weird!  I wonder how they got funding approval for that...  Trying to project an image?

The municipal fleets near me are generally Foci (not sure what they'll be replaced with) and Escapes, as well.  Can't say I've seen any fleet Bronco Sports, municipal or otherwise.

1 hour ago, j2sys said:

Weird!  I wonder how they got funding approval for that...  Trying to project an image?

The municipal fleets near me are generally Foci (not sure what they'll be replaced with) and Escapes, as well.  Can't say I've seen any fleet Bronco Sports, municipal or otherwise.

Might be cheaper than Escapes?

21 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Why are they using photos with the check engine and battery lights on, and a battery that is showing 98% charged and 1 Mile range. They really don't care about details and subliminal messaging. 

And a AM radio pic that is going away!!!  

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Might be cheaper than Escapes?

Generally not unless fleet pricing yields a higher discount on the more expensive Bronco Sport.  Escape starts off less, even when bumping to AWD (which a municipal fleet wouldn't likely have unless they needed it frequently).  Unless BS holdback is much higher, there's less room between invoice and MSRP on the more expensive BS (thus Plan pricing is less of a discount than on Escape).

Plus, a fleet of Sports would have higher operational costs, including fuel.

Edited by j2sys
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, j2sys said:

Generally not unless fleet pricing yields a higher discount on the more expensive Bronco Sport.  Escape starts off less, even when bumping to AWD (which a municipal fleet wouldn't likely have unless they needed it frequently).  Unless BS holdback is much higher, there's less room between invoice and MSRP on the more expensive BS (thus Plan pricing is less of a discount than on Escape).

Plus, a fleet of Sports would have higher operational costs, including fuel.

As if government would make a logical, financially sound decision?  Haha

• Like 4

On 10/25/2022 at 12:30 PM, j2sys said:

It's a Plug-In Hybrid, that's plugged in, in a big, open studio space.  Ventilation shouldn't be a problem.

Source for those photos: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-ford-escape-first-look-review

Already then the people doing the shoot were just clueless lol. I'd say about 95% of the interior press photos or vids I see across all brands show the dash with all the warning lights on. Genuinely don't understand why brands do that. 

Reviews I saw on earlier model year Escape plug-ins suggested you could not force the CUV into full EV mode; that it would cycle the ICE on and off per its operating system.  What I'm reading/seeing about the '23 is you can now go into the dash menu and force the Escape into battery mode until depletion, at which point it kicks on the ICE and operates normally on gas until the battery is recharged.  Is that correct?

1 hour ago, BoomerSooner said:

Reviews I saw on earlier model year Escape plug-ins suggested you could not force the CUV into full EV mode; that it would cycle the ICE on and off per its operating system.  What I'm reading/seeing about the '23 is you can now go into the dash menu and force the Escape into battery mode until depletion, at which point it kicks on the ICE and operates normally on gas until the battery is recharged.  Is that correct?

Those early reviews were incorrect.  There are several drive modes that are available that will either run only ICE or only EV until the batteries are depleted.  These drive modes are accessed via a dial on the center console and show up on the drivers screen in the center.  

The default mode is Normal and it will always revert to this mode once the vehicle is shut off.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 12:20 PM, BoomerSooner said:

Those reviews were incorrect. My 2013 C-Max Energi (PHEV) has selectable modes (EV/Gas only/Hybrid), so obviously Ford has offered this capability for almost a decade on its PHEV models. What you read *might* apply to a 'regular' Escape hybrid, so perhaps there was a misunderstanding of which model was being described.

On 11/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, Harley Lover said:

Those reviews were incorrect. My 2013 C-Max Energi (PHEV) has selectable modes (EV/Gas only/Hybrid), so obviously Ford has offered this capability for almost a decade on its PHEV models. What you read *might* apply to a 'regular' Escape hybrid, so perhaps there was a misunderstanding of which model was being described.

No, what's being referenced is that, even in EV Now, it will fire up the ICE if the programming determines it's warranted.  Cases such as needing more heat, more acceleration than the electric motor can supply, etc., and also starting occasionally if the ICE (and gas) hasn't been used for a while.

EV Now doesn't prevent it from starting the ICE, it's just that the threshold to do so is much higher.

Part of it is adjusting to that.  Part of it might be learning how to prevent certain factors from causing it, there was something about it starting the ICE for speed control on steep grades, do believe.

• Thanks 1

Then that's exactly what I had read: that the ICE will fire up intermittently based upon whatever metrics its programming is using.  The review I had read said the ICE started up much more frequently than the reviewed had anticipated.  Given the anticipated arrival of my '23 plug-in Escape, I was wondering whether it would basically just be a full EV car until it was on a longer trip. j2sys's comment (and what I read) suggest Ford's programming start the ICE for any number of reasons regardless of the selected mode of operation. It'll be interesting to see how it all works--but 525 mile projected range is pretty cool regardless. 

1 hour ago, BoomerSooner said:

Then that's exactly what I had read: that the ICE will fire up intermittently based upon whatever metrics its programming is using.  The review I had read said the ICE started up much more frequently than the reviewed had anticipated.  Given the anticipated arrival of my '23 plug-in Escape, I was wondering whether it would basically just be a full EV car until it was on a longer trip. j2sys's comment (and what I read) suggest Ford's programming start the ICE for any number of reasons regardless of the selected mode of operation. It'll be interesting to see how it all works--but 525 mile projected range is pretty cool regardless. 

Do note that I don't have any experience with an Escape PHEV - mine is "just" a FHEV ("full" - not plug-in, just the standard hybrid).  So I cannot say how easy it is to avoid the ICE kicking on, although it sounds like there are some settings that can be changed to minimize that.

Might have involved disabling Grade Assist which means you'd need to do more manual braking to maintain speed on negative grades.  The hybrids will spin up the ICE for engine braking to slow you down if regen braking isn't enough.  That's confused some Maverick drivers as well.  Basically, it just lets the engine spin to dissipate kinetic energy, even though the engine isn't driving the wheels.

That would be a problem in a PHEV with a cold ICE (hah) - spinning up those cold moving parts with no added heat - so I presume it's more apt to at least fire up the ICE to keep it warm when that feature is enabled.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/hybrid-with-stuck-revs.23224/

Edited by j2sys