2023 Escape Orders & Discussion

ice-capades

7 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I wouldn't worry about it as according to the most recent information I have, Ford has not even posted the "Balance Out" date for the 2023MY Escape. 

Thanks. I have a 250 on order and supposedly built last week, but I don't want to order the escape until right after I pick up the 250. 

I guess about a month until 250 shows up, so I guess that would still be OK.  

On 6/1/2023 at 12:40 AM, chodaddy15 said:

Hmmm maybe this is why they aren't shipping mine

image.thumb.png.48f9eaaa338886fce56ecb703432aef6.png

Checked with our Sales Manager yesterday and it is applicable to specific VIN's, not all Escape PHEV's. We are fortunate in that DW's is not on the list, so we are taking delivery on the 15th.

Your dealer should also have the information available and can check your VIN to see if it is included. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Checked with our Sales Manager yesterday and it is applicable to specific VIN's, not all Escape PHEV's. We are fortunate in that DW's is not on the list, so we are taking delivery on the 15th.

Your dealer should also have the information available and can check your VIN to see if it is included. 

This is exactly why, per my post above, it's advisable that dealership service departments run the VIN number in Ford's system for all retail or stock vehicles when they arrive to check for any New Vehicle Demonstration/Delivery holds and/or outstanding recall notices. Delivering a vehicle with outstanding holds or recalls violates Ford policy in addition to federal regulations and subjects the dealership to substantial fines. 

Edited by ice-capades
Typo
  • Like 1

Everyone is holding their breath, it seems.

The status on my Escape PHEV Premium changed to Final Preparation today.  Not listed among recalled vehicles yet, knock on wood, fingers crossed.

Originally ordered 12/14/2021 as 2022 MY, re-ordered 11/21/2022 as 2023 MY.  540 days and counting.

FinalPrep.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 11:00 AM, CoolScoop said:

My order tracker is worthless so far... got email with VIN, July 17 build week, and tracker link a week ago but tracker is still at order confirmed.  Why isn't the tracker showing correct status in real time?

My tracker finally updated this Thursday (weekly scheduling day).  "Scheduled week of" now shows Tuesday July 18 instead of Monday July 17.  So while it still says week of, it actually updated to my build day as verified by my sales manager!!

Edited by CoolScoop

Brought my 2023 Escape PHEV Premium home today!!!  Traded in the red 2015 C-Max Energi in the third picture as part of the deal.

Looking forward to the 37 mile electric range... The C-Max was only 22 mile range, and in the winter that was borderline inadequate for my needs.

EscapePHEV_04.jpg

EscapePHEV_03.jpg

EscapePHEV_01.jpg

EscapePHEV_02.jpg

Edited by MrCurvedLimos
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, MrCurvedLimos said:

Brought my 2023 Escape PHEV Premium home today!!!  Traded in the red 2015 C-Max Energi in the third picture as part of the deal.

Looking forward to the 37 mile electric range... The C-Max was only 22 mile range, and in the winter that was borderline inadequate for my needs.

EscapePHEV_04.jpg

EscapePHEV_03.jpg

EscapePHEV_01.jpg

EscapePHEV_02.jpg

Does it feel like a taller Cmax or do you notice any performance differences?

25 minutes ago, chodaddy15 said:

Does it feel like a taller Cmax or do you notice any performance differences?

One of the main things we didn't like about the C-Max was its turning radius, which was unaccountably large. The Escape's turning radius feels much more normal. The Escape makes a bunch of interesting brake noises that I've never heard in any other vehicle before. Pings and pops that sound like mechanical parts hitting their end-of-travel stops. Concerning but possibly normal. Other than that, I'd say the Escape feels more composed. The C-Max was a bit skittish on potholes, expansion joints, bumps, and the like. So far, I don't get that from the Escape. But we've driven it only about 60 miles so far... I expect there's more learning curve to come. 

• Like 1

NIce..

Braking I noticed a bit of a vibration almost like running over a shallow rumble strip on the front left (possibly on the front right as well but I'm not sitting on that side)  only at low speeds and when I brake gently. It is only from about 5MPH thru 2MPH  then it stops. It's not there when I have to brake hard or if I'm extremely gentle on the brake.

11 hours ago, dchan said:

NIce..

Braking I noticed a bit of a vibration almost like running over a shallow rumble strip on the front left (possibly on the front right as well but I'm not sitting on that side)  only at low speeds and when I brake gently. It is only from about 5MPH thru 2MPH  then it stops. It's not there when I have to brake hard or if I'm extremely gentle on the brake.

Do you have  a Hybrid?

i have the same problem since the day i picked up my escape.

It only does it when your in electric mode.

I saw some postings on the Maverick site that talks about the same problem hey even have a recording, which sounds just like my noise.

I have not brought it to the dealer yet, i am guessing they will have no clue what is wrong at this point until mre people complain

49 minutes ago, escape20 said:

Do you have  a Hybrid?

i have the same problem since the day i picked up my escape.

It only does it when your in electric mode.

I saw some postings on the Maverick site that talks about the same problem hey even have a recording, which sounds just like my noise.

I have not brought it to the dealer yet, i am guessing they will have no clue what is wrong at this point until mre people complain

Yes. Hybrid. Pretty sure it’s normal and has to do with the regen motor engaging and disengaging. It’s just a little disconcerting. 

Here are some observations from my first 4 days with my PHEV Premium. 

• The pedestrian alert sounder is horrible. It's like this agonized, Giger-esque whine that plays any time the car is moving less than about 25 mph. It's louder inside the car than outside. We got caught in stop and go traffic on the highway for 45 minutes and the alert sounder made me want to rip my ears off. The C-Max didn't have that bit of hyper-paranoia installed on it. 
  • The first plastic piece broke on Sunday... One of the retainer clips for the cargo cover. It snapped the 3rd time I opened the tailgate. Now the cargo cover just flops around in the back and won't stay attached. 
  • The 10-speaker B&O audio is not very good. The subwoofer seems to know only 1 frequency, about a 50Hz buzz that pulses with the music, bzzt-bzt bzz bzz-bzt. The only way to make it stop is to turn the bass control all the way down, with predictably horrible results for how the music sounds. 
  • I can't figure out how to turn off the "grade assist" or "descent control." It's about 4 miles to work. I live up on a hill. I back out of my driveway in EV Now mode, point the nose down the hill, and need to coast about 100 feet down to the stop sign at the corner (you can see the stop sign in my 2nd photo above). As soon as I touch the brake, the gas engine comes on. When I stop at the corner, gas engine shuts off. Total run time: 3 seconds on a stone cold engine. One block over, down another one-block hill, the engine runs about 15 more seconds before I get to the next stop sign, then shuts off. The whole 4 miles to work, every time the car is coasting down any kind of incline and I touch the brake, the gas engine comes on until I take my foot off the brake, then it shuts off, running for only seconds at a time. The environmental controls are on air-only; no heat, no AC, no defrost. The only time the C-Max did anything like this was when grade assist was on. But on the C-Max, there was a button on the side of the shift lever to turn grade assist on and off. On the Escape, I can't find the control. I've been digging through the poorly-organized touch screen menus and just can't find it, even though the online manual talks about it. I also don't see the grade assist light displayed on the dashboard. I'm starting to think maybe Ford decided grade assist doesn't need a control, it's OK if it's just enabled all the time.  ?  I need to go back to the dealer tomorrow morning, so hopefully they can show me where the control is. If this is the way the Escape is designed, to run the cold gas engine in little, short, seconds-long bursts without any kind of warm up, I'm worried it's gonna play havoc with the engine longevity. The C-Max never did that; if the engine came on for any reason, it stayed on until the warm-up cycle completed. But usually it didn't come on.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

My tracker works on my PC, but it keeps timing out on my phone now.  I tried clearing cookies and cache and restarting phone but it still keeps timing out.  Any ideas on how to fix?  

Cleared everything including browsing history for all time and its working again...

Picked up DW's Escape PHEV Premium this morning. Totally painless experience in the finance office, as her first comment was, based on previous purchases we don't bother with warranties, etc. so we can get straight to the purchase. She had everything entered, so had me check the numbers on her screen, which were exactly as we agreed at order. She printed the forms while I wrote the cheque. In and out in under 5 mins. It sure pays to know your dealer.

Only drove it home about 4 miles, but first impressions are positive. Definite improvement over the 2019 Titanium.

When the Sales Manager was showing us the new features he mentioned that we can go to any Ford dealership to re-charge, now that is an excellent option.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 11:31 PM, MrCurvedLimos said:

• The pedestrian alert sounder is horrible. It's like this agonized, Giger-esque whine that plays any time the car is moving less than about 25 mph. It's louder inside the car than outside. We got caught in stop and go traffic on the highway for 45 minutes and the alert sounder made me want to rip my ears off. The C-Max didn't have that bit of hyper-paranoia installed on it. 
  • The first plastic piece broke on Sunday... One of the retainer clips for the cargo cover. It snapped the 3rd time I opened the tailgate. Now the cargo cover just flops around in the back and won't stay attached. 
  • The 10-speaker B&O audio is not very good. The subwoofer seems to know only 1 frequency, about a 50Hz buzz that pulses with the music, bzzt-bzt bzz bzz-bzt. The only way to make it stop is to turn the bass control all the way down, with predictably horrible results for how the music sounds. 
  • I can't figure out how to turn off the "grade assist" or "descent control." It's about 4 miles to work. I live up on a hill. I back out of my driveway in EV Now mode, point the nose down the hill, and need to coast about 100 feet down to the stop sign at the corner (you can see the stop sign in my 2nd photo above). As soon as I touch the brake, the gas engine comes on. When I stop at the corner, gas engine shuts off. Total run time: 3 seconds on a stone cold engine. One block over, down another one-block hill, the engine runs about 15 more seconds before I get to the next stop sign, then shuts off. The whole 4 miles to work, every time the car is coasting down any kind of incline and I touch the brake, the gas engine comes on until I take my foot off the brake, then it shuts off, running for only seconds at a time. The environmental controls are on air-only; no heat, no AC, no defrost. The only time the C-Max did anything like this was when grade assist was on. But on the C-Max, there was a button on the side of the shift lever to turn grade assist on and off. On the Escape, I can't find the control. I've been digging through the poorly-organized touch screen menus and just can't find it, even though the online manual talks about it. I also don't see the grade assist light displayed on the dashboard. I'm starting to think maybe Ford decided grade assist doesn't need a control, it's OK if it's just enabled all the time.  ?  I need to go back to the dealer tomorrow morning, so hopefully they can show me where the control is. If this is the way the Escape is designed, to run the cold gas engine in little, short, seconds-long bursts without any kind of warm up, I'm worried it's gonna play havoc with the engine longevity. The C-Max never did that; if the engine came on for any reason, it stayed on until the warm-up cycle completed. But usually it didn't come on.

The engine is likely coming on because you are at 100% charged and the regenerative braking will send excess energy to the engine when at 100% full. Same thing happens to me. 

I cannot find the hill descent control option either though.

Mine has wind noise coming from the driver side window that I cannot pin point. Sounds almost like the window isn't rolled up all the way. 

4 hours ago, Aguy said:

The engine is likely coming on because you are at 100% charged and the regenerative braking will send excess energy to the engine when at 100% full. Same thing happens to me. 

Mine has wind noise coming from the driver side window that I cannot pin point. Sounds almost like the window isn't rolled up all the way. 

You can shift to neutral with 100% charge and the engine should not start from regen braking.

e

On 6/14/2023 at 2:31 AM, MrCurvedLimos said:

one of my plastic clips within the first hour of owning the car lol.  Paid 135 for this option and have yet to be able to use it.  I was trying to install the cover for the first time and the second clip snapped.  I contacted my dealer but of course it looks like the dealer will need to fix it under warranty.  I can't get the broken one out without making that hole oversized and the whole cover useless.

On 6/24/2023 at 10:07 PM, Aguy said:

Yes, I think Grade Assist is exactly the issue.  We tried limiting the battery charging to only 90% (32-33 mi range), but the gas engine still comes on in EV Now mode 6 - 8 times driving 4 miles to work, an average of 10 seconds each time it runs, with no warm-up.  Then we tried limiting to 80% charge (29-30 mi range).  Still the same issue, but the gas engine runs in only 2 or 3 places.  So we tried limiting the battery charge to only 70% (25-26 mi range), and that finally keeps the gas engine from coming on during a 4 mile drive in EV Now mode.  I have a service appointment at the dealer tomorrow to find out if this is normal behavior.

Not happy so far.  We paid $45k for an Escape PHEV that's supposed to go 37 miles on electric because our experience with our C-Max Energi (22 mi range) showed 22 miles was not enough for our commuting habits.  Now we've got a car that will go 25 mi on electric.  Where's the advertised 37 mile electric range???  Are the brakes on this Escape PHEV so seriously undersized, that it mandates the gas engine must run for braking purposes at city speeds (25-40 mph) from block to block to block?  I would understand having Grade Assist enabled when trailering down long descents in the mountains.  But commuting in-town in EV Now mode without a trailer attached?...  I think having Grade Assist enabled for that is ridiculous. The C-Max didn't need that.