Ford Starts Construction of Blue Oval City

I'm involved in a board where we build affordable and sustainable housing for people in need. Out of 100 people that apply, maybe 2 are accepted.  The finance board has to decipher all the finances of 2 years for applicants.  The majority of people are overleveraged and I'm amazed at the excuses I hear from them to justify their decision-making.

Bestfriend buys a home in the middle of nowhere subdivision in FL swamps.  Asks me when they will get a Starbucks (he's 17). Busted out laughing, had to explain that quality places/restaurants go where there are rooftops (density) and money (not debt). He equated all newly constructed nice looking homes, with money. Told him his parents and just about every person in there probably has a 30-year mortgage, so expect the commercial places to come in 25-30 years when the debt gets paid down.

I see this time and time again especially with all my rental homes, and misguided people living above their means.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Asks me when they will get a Starbucks (he's 17). Busted out laughing, had to explain that quality places/restaurants go where there are rooftops (density) and money (not debt).

No Starbucks stores in Haywood County, Tennessee either. Maybe one will open soon after BOC starts operations. ? For now the nearest Starbucks locations are to the southwest in Memphis and to the northeast in Jackson.

image.thumb.png.c7aff00ce58514d259dec852ab55bb55.png

On 10/15/2022 at 8:14 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I’m thinking it’s the latter. I’m definitely rethinking my plans for my next vehicle purchase. I’m leaning more towards finding an old shitbox to drive into the ground. 

#teamshitbox

Be careful, before you know it you'll have 8 broken down ones sitting in the back yard that you're going to fix some day because they're so cheap and easy to fix ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 4:33 PM, Captainp4 said:

#teamshitbox

Be careful, before you know it you'll have 8 broken down ones sitting in the back yard that you're going to fix some day because they're so cheap and easy to fix ?

If you buy 8, maybe you can part harvest to have 1 working one haha

• Like 1

Wow, this is off topic but,

I just heard that Tesla 2 subcompact is a real thing, build cost is half of 3 and Y, so about $18k-$20k and starting price approx $25k.

Such a massive reduction in cost must come from more expansive use of gigapress to eliminate more labor and construction steps.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Wow, this is off topic but,

I just heard that Tesla 2 subcompact is a real thing, build cost is half of 3 and Y, so about $18k-$20k and starting price approx $25k.

Such a massive reduction in cost must come from more expansive use of gigapress to eliminate more labor and construction steps.

Thanks for sharing that jpd80, actually it's something relevant to the topic of Blue Oval City and of Ford's plans to expand its BEV expertise. Tesla is so far ahead of all other automakers when it comes to building BEV profitably that it may be a while before Ford has a competitor to Tesla Model 2 (or whatever the subcompact car will be called). Or maybe Ford will stick to pickup trucks and SUV as it transitions to 100% electric vehicles and not enter the lower-price small car segment at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Thanks for sharing that jpd80, actually it's something relevant to the topic of Blue Oval City and of Ford's plans to expand its BEV expertise. Tesla is so far ahead of all other automakers when it comes to building BEV profitably that it may be a while before Ford has a competitor to Tesla Model 2 (or whatever the subcompact car will be called). Or maybe Ford will stick to pickup trucks and SUV as it transitions to 100% electric vehicles and not enter the lower-price small car segment at all.

I think the Tesla 2 will directly affect the BEV Ford Puma planned for release in Europe either 2023 or 2024 calendar year, so hoping Puma can hang with Tesla 2 and not be dismissed by buyers.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 4:58 AM, rperez817 said:

No Starbucks stores in Haywood County, Tennessee either. Maybe one will open soon after BOC starts operations. ? For now the nearest Starbucks locations are to the southwest in Memphis and to the northeast in Jackson.

image.thumb.png.c7aff00ce58514d259dec852ab55bb55.png

So has Ford basically give future F Series jobs to these folks and told Dearborn workers that their days are numbered?

Maybe that’s a bit harsh but it seems like the Michigan folks Will either have to move or accept that Dearborn plant now has a limited life.

Edited by jpd80

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Maybe that’s a bit harsh but it seems like the Michigan folks Will either have to move or accept that Dearborn plant now has a limited life.

I don't see them closing one of the newest plants they have when they have other plants that are 70-80 years old still. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

So has Ford basically give future F Series jobs to these folks and told Dearborn workers that their days are numbered?

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I don't see them closing one of the newest plants they have when they have other plants that are 70-80 years old still. 

Age of a plant may not be the highest, or even any, consideration. It happened at Whirlpool Corp. They built a state of the art 200K sq ft Floor Care facility, opened in 1977 on an 86 acre parcel south of St Paul in Cottage Grove, MN. The grand plan was to next build a 1M+ sq ft SOTA Chest Freezer facility and a 400k sq ft Distribution Center going forward. In 1982, they did a corporate wide facility utilization study. We all thought we were safe: Newest factory in the corp, millions recently spent to upgrade Chest Freezer ops, plans to eventually move freezer production from St Paul to CG, wages & salary were within parity with the rest of the corp. etc. 4Q 1984 we were out in the street, The entire Twin City Operations were shuttered and products moved to other plants.

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I don’t believe the Dearborn plant will ever close. That’s jumping the gun, BIGTIME. I get it, you’re saying down the road. Electrification or not Dearborn isn’t closing they will have product there when they sort through this transition to ICE to EV. 

Edited by Oacjay98
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, rperez817 said:

No one here wants to hear that, but it's the truth. Ford is making great progress, but still a long way to go to catch Tesla.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

No one here wants to hear that, but it's the truth. Ford is making great progress, but still a long way to go to catch Tesla.

And conversely, Tesla will never catch Ford in pickups.  It’s easy to excel when you only make 4 similar vehicles.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

And conversely, Tesla will never catch Ford in pickups. 

Tooling for Cybertruck production is now in place at Tesla's Texas Gigafactory. However, Ford's first mover advantage with F-150 Lightning will make it difficult not only for Tesla but all of Ford's competitors in the BEV pickup truck market to catch up. Of course, this assumes that Ford's supply chain and production bottlenecks get resolved sooner rather than later...

tesla-cybertruck-tooling-gigafactory-tex

1 hour ago, akirby said:

And conversely, Tesla will never catch Ford in pickups.  It’s easy to excel when you only make 4 similar vehicles.

Not wrong there, I'm talking about the entire business model, especially when it comes to BEV. The difference is in manufacturing and sales model. The giga presses and giga factories are the next evolution of manufacturing that F is trying to catch up to with BOC, and the sales model .. who knows how they can get out of the franchise bs.

Aside from everything else they do, which Ford has no intention to compete with and isn't relevant to bring up I guess.

25 minutes ago, akirby said:

Cybertruck is a PR stunt and not serious competition long term.

I think I agree here too, but the demand looks very strong for cybertruck. Personally, I think it's hideous and would never buy one in current form.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, akirby said:

Cybertruck is a PR stunt and not serious competition long term.

40 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

I think I agree here too, but the demand looks very strong for cybertruck. Personally, I think it's hideous and would never buy one in current form.

Demand is indeed very strong for Cybertruck. In the 2021 Autolist survey of people interested in buying a BEV pickup truck, the younger age groups (under 35 years) actually preferred Cybetruck to F-150 Lightning. But the strong preference by older age groups for F-150 Lightning made the Ford truck #1 overall in that survey.

Slide5.jpg

Slide1.jpg

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

How can there be demand for something that doesn’t even exist? 

Tesla has been doing reservations for Cybertruck since its unveiling in 3 years ago. The number of reservations ("hand raisers") for the truck nowadays is estimated to be in excess of 1 million. That's indicative of very strong demand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Tesla has been doing reservations for Cybertruck since its unveiling in 3 years ago. The number of reservations ("hand raisers") for the truck nowadays is estimated to be in excess of 1 million. That's indicative of very strong demand.

I don’t give a shit about reservation numbers. Give me production and sales numbers. Oh wait, nobody can because they don’t exist. 

• Like 3