2023 Super Duty Orders & Discussion

ice-capades

37 minutes ago, Pugnmat said:

I wish it was that easy in all cases. For certain models or certain trims, the order bank opens and closes (as no one knows better than you, of course).  Then, you have no options other than to walk away and wait another year. I've been to the sales manager and the president/owner.  I've asked for some things you've mentioned on priority codes, scheduling, options etc...I get the "I've been doing this for 25 years....rest easy, you're in the best hands possible.  That said, my order from 12/1/21 was never scheduled, converted to 23, same priority codes as I had 15 months ago. Not going to bat for me either on rebates to better offset the 8k MSRP increase.  "Consider yourself lucky you got anything" After talking to the owner, nothing else I can do now but hope. 

Most recently, I wanted to add a Tremor package...was told we have limited allocations on that package...but, Ive never heard this elsewhere from any other buyer.  At this dealer, adding a Tremor package for $4k wipes away their typical off MSRP discount, plus adds 3k mark up on top of that. It becomes a 12k package on my order. They don't have to offer discounts and their choice to decide when and where, I get that. If I could order this truck again from another dealer and pay MSRP, I might even consider it...but with a Platinum, I have no chance of even doing that. So I wait for a truck to show up again and I have to decide if a Tremor package is worth 12k.  It's not. 

Sounds like a mess to me… my dealer is not that bad  but I get the I’ve been so busy to get back to you in a few days..I call Bull because they don’t have anything on the lot… it’s frustrating but hang in there and hopefully it works out

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pugnmat said:

I wish it was that easy in all cases. For certain models or certain trims, the order bank opens and closes (as no one knows better than you, of course).  Then, you have no options other than to walk away and wait another year. I've been to the sales manager and the president/owner.  

But it is that easy to do what you did.  It just may not give you a good result.

As a consumer you made a bad choice - maybe there were warning signs you missed or maybe you just got blindsided.  Either way you have to make a decision to walk away and start over or live with it.  Neither are great choices.

My biggest hope -- someone finds a way to disrupt the dealer requirement to purchase cars and trucks from major manufacturers and we get more transparency by going direct. The Ford vs the dealers is great for both of them and hurts the buyer.  Talk to ford, talk to your dealer.  The "it's always worked this way, deal with it" will become a great avenue for change and it's already happening with Tesla and others. We, as consumers who make "bad choices," will eventually have more options that mitigate that risk. We all know the value a dealer provides is not $0 when it comes to a purchase (not talking service), but it's far from what it used to be (understanding options we couldn't previously find our own, test drives of models on the lot to compare, navigating financing, paperwork, warranties).  We do so much more work ourselves now, but still have the same constraints and costs or maybe more.  It may take many more years, but evolve or die...plenty of great companies thought it couldn't happen to them. 

I'd still like to get my truck (because for now) it's one of only a couple of options and none of those are much better. 

1 hour ago, Pugnmat said:

My biggest hope -- someone finds a way to disrupt the dealer requirement to purchase cars and trucks from major manufacturers and we get more transparency by going direct. The Ford vs the dealers is great for both of them and hurts the buyer.  Talk to ford, talk to your dealer.  The "it's always worked this way, deal with it" will become a great avenue for change and it's already happening with Tesla and others. We, as consumers who make "bad choices," will eventually have more options that mitigate that risk. We all know the value a dealer provides is not $0 when it comes to a purchase (not talking service), but it's far from what it used to be (understanding options we couldn't previously find our own, test drives of models on the lot to compare, navigating financing, paperwork, warranties).  We do so much more work ourselves now, but still have the same constraints and costs or maybe more.  It may take many more years, but evolve or die...plenty of great companies thought it couldn't happen to them. 

I'd still like to get my truck (because for now) it's one of only a couple of options and none of those are much better. 

Tesla isn’t a good model because they’re still low volume compared to ford, GM and Toyota and volume impacts the processes.  But I think most everyone would agree that being able to order from the factory at a known price and knowing your build date up front without worrying about allocations or price shenanigans would be a great thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pugnmat said:

I wish it was that easy in all cases. For certain models or certain trims, the order bank opens and closes (as no one knows better than you, of course).  Then, you have no options other than to walk away and wait another year. I've been to the sales manager and the president/owner.  I've asked for some things you've mentioned on priority codes, scheduling, options etc...I get the "I've been doing this for 25 years....rest easy, you're in the best hands possible.  That said, my order from 12/1/21 was never scheduled, converted to 23, same priority codes as I had 15 months ago. Not going to bat for me either on rebates to better offset the 8k MSRP increase.  "Consider yourself lucky you got anything" After talking to the owner, nothing else I can do now but hope. 

Most recently, I wanted to add a Tremor package...was told we have limited allocations on that package...but, Ive never heard this elsewhere from any other buyer.  At this dealer, adding a Tremor package for $4k wipes away their typical off MSRP discount, plus adds 3k mark up on top of that. It becomes a 12k package on my order. They don't have to offer discounts and their choice to decide when and where, I get that. If I could order this truck again from another dealer and pay MSRP, I might even consider it...but with a Platinum, I have no chance of even doing that. So I wait for a truck to show up again and I have to decide if a Tremor package is worth 12k.  It's not. 

If you are facing an $8K MSRP increases, as the dealer won't honour the initial price, when converted to a 23MY, you have limited, if any benefit of staying with the present dealer. The couple of customers I recommended to my Sales Manager, when moved from a 22MY to a 23MY, only experienced minimal price increases, which were due to new basic equipment included with the 23MY.

Since you ordered 1st December 2021, any reputable dealer would have contacted their local sales rep after about 3 months to have your priority code upgraded to 2. Unless you have a highly optioned and/or high trim level, the failure to manage the priority code is probably a key reason why you didn't get scheduled and built as a 22MY. All orders after yours that get moved to priority 2 have a better chance of being built than your much older order. If your dealer doesn't manage your priority code, you may not get built as a 23MY either.

The I've being doing this for 25 yrs comment and you're in the best hands possible is a joke. Based on what you have posted, I'll suggest your dealer is providing dreadful service.

Since you don't have price protection and your dealer doesn't effectively manage their USOB, I'll suggest if you want a truck, you may be better cutting your losses and finding a reputable dealer and starting again. Good luck.

I wish I had better options. I do have a higher-level trim, Platinum.  And according to some, I should already have the lowest priority codes you can have...but at this point, I don't. Something tells me they were ordering over allocations last year and I never had a chance.  I'm holding out hope that I will be part of the first couple of weeks of Job 2 orders and if not, I'll be on the phone again everytime I see a batch get scheduled on Thursdays

The MSRP for a 22 increased twice during 2022 after I placed my order. Had it been produced as a 22, they would have honored the price for sure.  The 23s, with the same time level and options selected, are just over 8k more than my original order in Dec of 21.  Granted, there are new and more base options included in a 23 platinum, onboard generator, new technology, etc.  Of course, I didn't ask for those, but now I get them and I get to pay more. Ford issued a rebate to some folks and I got one, but it does mean that I have to pay more than my original deal.

With platinum order banks closed for 23 months ago, I really can't change dealers for a 23 and my only option would be to wait for 24s to open this fall and hope I'd see a truck in 2024.  I'm sticking around with the current order to see how it plays out.  It may require a 24 order just to be safe, which only adds to the order/supply problem. 

4 hours ago, Pugnmat said:

I couldn't disagree more, as in my experience, my dealer adds considerable value to the purchasing experience. Over the past 10 years, I have purchased 5 retail orders from the same Sales Manager and never once have I had to contact Ford directly. As a Canadian, I also don't receive any emails directly from Ford, everything comes from the dealer.

By effectively managing the USOB, the dealer is aware of what options are delaying builds, so has the ability to adjust orders to expedite the build, if desired by the customer. When I ordered my 22MY F-450, about 6 weeks later, the dealer removed a couple options that could be completed locally, and every month the priority code was reduced. Within 3 months it was at 2. Personally, I don't have to contact Ford for this information, which is readily available to all dealers. By effectively managing my order, my F-450 Ultimate, with 5th wheel prep and a few other options was built in about 8 months and delivered in under 9 months.

With a direct purchase from manufacturer model, the OEM would need to either make the information currently available to dealers, available to all customers, or add hundreds more customer service reps for the barrage of calls they would receive from customers trying to manage orders to expedite build. The other option is the customer has no option to manage the build and scheduling was entirely at the discretion of the OEM, probably based on what is easiest to build and maximises profit.

In current supply chain challenges, the first order in, first built just won't work, so someone has to have input into what priorities are given to the orders that can be built. My effective dealer provides that service by managing his USOB, which is providing value to me on all my orders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

I couldn't disagree more, as in my experience, my dealer adds considerable value to the purchasing experience. ...

Unfortunately I do not think your experiences are typical.  In the past, incompetent dealers were masked by a good supply of vehicles and there were few custom orders.

8 hours ago, akirby said:

Call the sales manager.  Go see the sales manager in person.  Escalate to the dealer principal/owner.   If that fails either find another dealer and start over or tough it out and never do business with them again.  There is no way to transfer an order.

Yep I agree.  I was really asking for your opinion on how Ford *could* fix incompetent dealership issues without making customers start over with another dealer.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 11:10 AM, Morgan92798 said:

and the chrome around the outside of the headlights which I think will probably be there for both SAP and BAP. This white pic is the SAP. The red pic is the BAP as far as what's been posted out there.

A45B6054-37D5-4055-B307-59396410ECDB.jpeg

f78a2bfb_eccf_4e16_8924_2377bcb90153_67d29b8ebff249a0622081528e97e17847fba699.jpeg

The chrome is on the inside of the headlight. When I get home I will try to post a better pic. 

5 hours ago, Monoman said:

Unfortunately I do not think your experiences are typical.  In the past, incompetent dealers were masked by a good supply of vehicles and there were few custom orders.

I agree that my experience may not be typical, but I have worked on developing this relationship for almost 20 years, purchasing 10 new vehicles during that period. I purchase directly from the Sales Manager and when he moved to my closest Ford dealership a few years ago, I stayed with him. How many others have taken the time to develop a similar relationship with a local dealer, as I read of many who purchase from the dealer that gives them the best price, regardless if it is many thousands of miles away.

Prior to COVID, incompetent dealers could still complete retail orders without much effort, as my 3 pre-COVID retail orders were all received within 8 - 12 weeks. It is post-COVID, with the supply chain delays, that many dealers have not adapted to meet the customer's expectations. As the Moderator posted, as customers, we need to make the dealers adjust to the new reality. As customers, if we don't ask the right questions before purchase and continue to purchase from incompetent dealers, then they have no incentive to change.

5 hours ago, waloud said:

I work at the plant 

Can you shed any light on OKTB? I was originally excited to be early in the production cycle, but I suspect that it's going to turn into a shipping nightmare. With nothing shipping and 1000's of trucks being stashed in every nook and cranny, I figure that I'll see mine (built 2/6) when the plant has to shut down '23 production for '24's.  

Edited by KevinLK

7 hours ago, waloud said:

Have not heard anything on the OKTB yet. We are still running short production due to parts shortages.Hoping suppliers will will catch up soon.  

Thanks for the info. Does that mean you can't get OKTB until you are running at full production speed?

2 hours ago, KevinLK said:

Thanks for the info. Does that mean you can't get OKTB until you are running at full production speed?

What I have seen posted in some private FB groups by other people 'on this inside' was that they have two holdups. #1 fixing some gas engine issue but probably the actual holdup is #2 getting final EPA approval on the diesel before they are allowed deliver anything. This would seem to fall in line with many rigs showing produced, some with chip holds but many others without, but nothing has been moving yet. FWIW; obviously just speculation on secondhand knowledge but makes sense.

I know there's been just a couple photos showing up of rigs on carriers, but who knows where those are going or what they're for. If the former is true, it'd be interesting to keep tabs on if they appeared to be gas or diesel.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:17 PM, Yankst28 said:

Is anybody with King Ranch’s, Platinum's, or Limiteds hearing anything? Ordered a Platinum and haven’t received anything other than the generic ford is experiencing supply chain issues. 

thanks

nope, KR450 and I’ve only received generic sorry bro emails from Ford.  It’s ok, I planned for and accepted mentally to get my truck around Labor Day.

Edited by Big_Daddy
Typo

28 minutes ago, AggieF350 said:

Found out today my Lariat Build week has been pushed to the week of April 23rd now moved from the week of February 20th ?‍♂️

That really stinks. I've seen a number of two month pushes. Pure speculation, but I'm wondering if it's partly because they still haven't shipped any trucks and have dug themselves quite a shipping hole. Maybe they need some time to climb out a bit. Like the old saying goes, "If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging."