2023 Super Duty Orders & Discussion

ice-capades

1 hour ago, akirby said:

But your dealer isn’t losing existing sales.  They still get (and sell) their allocation like they’ve always had.  It may prevent them from getting some additional sales.

And I’ve always been in favor of incremental allocation for retail orders and so has Ford.  They’ve done it before on select vehicles and they did exactly what you want with the Bronco launch.  Build by order sequence regardless of dealer with no allocation restrictions.  Then Grainger lowballed prices and totally distorted the sales distribution which combined with production delays and supply chain issues forced them back to an allocation model.

Its much more complicated than just what you see as a consumer.

All this chatter doesn’t solve anything.

The first step for an alcoholic to actually get better is for said alcoholic to actually acknowledge that a problem exists.

1. A system that relies on dealer competence to manage an order bank so a customer can actually get a truck is BROKEN.  Period.  Fix it, Ford.
  2. A system that has a customer order a truck in January of ‘22, then VERY LIKELY not receive it in 2023 and have it roll to a ‘24 with God only knows how many more months of delay is BROKEN.  Spare me the “supply chain issues” comments.  GM got it figured out.  Every single option on my High Country works.  Fix it, Ford.
  3. Regarding the dealer protectionism allocation model…look at the Tesla model and my Elon Musk comment.  He would have this BS at Ford fixed inside of two weeks.

“It’s much more complicated than just what you see as a consumer”

Huh?

No, not really.

All that matters is WHAT THE CONSUMER SEES.

That’s Marketing 101.

• Like 1

The ordering and scheduling process has worked very well for decades. Things changed with the COVID-19 pandemic's impact on supply chain issues and the long used "Just-in-Time" inventory management system.

The COVP (Customer Order Verification Program) was initiated to verify retail orders and grant incremental allocation to expedite scheduling of those retail orders. The COVP system should be able to identify customers with orders at multiple dealerships, but I have no way of knowing to what degree Ford audits the USOB's (Unscheduled Order Banks) for compliance and identification of multiple retail orders at multiple dealerships.

While Ford created and implemented an e-mail notification for direct contact with retail order customers, the system and e-mail content is still generic at best, leaving the best source for order status updates being at the dealership level which has access to multiple resources that are updated constantly.

Each dealership’s USOB is totally independent of any other Dealer’s USOB and USOB management is the responsibility of each dealership.

Dealers earn regular allocation based on their sales history at several history levels. The allocation is disclosed as part of the monthly “Wholesale” allocation with the exception of the “System Fill” allocation at the beginning of the Model Year and the “Balance Out” allocation at the end of the Model Year which are two-month allocation numbers. The allocation is based on the numbers and no preference is granted to favored dealerships. A dealership with a strong sales history cannot receive more than its earned proportional share of its zone’s total allocation. It’s a “Turn & Earn” system at all levels. 

Ford Dearborn determines available production and allocation nationwide which is then distributed to the regional, zone and dealership level. When incremental allocation is available and granted, that allocation is still included in the total allocation and production available.

The primary responsibility for retail order scheduling is at the dealership level. Orders need to be configured correctly with vehicle specifications confirmed with the customer prior to being submitted to the USOB and time being lost due to errors or other factors. Order priority codes are a major factor with retail order priority codes defaulting to priority code 19. Dealers must manually assign a lower (10-18) priority code.

If not done automatically by Ford, Dealers can request, through their Ford Zone Manager, a lower (01, 02) priority code that can be assigned by the Regional Scheduler when and where appropriate. Afterwards, if the order specifications are changed, the priority code will revert back to the code assigned by the dealership, requiring the dealership to request that the Regional Scheduler re-prioritize the order again.  

Supply chain, commodity and plant construction constraints change on a daily basis but Dealers have access to multiple resources available for information including the weekly FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) and the AM Preview Scheduling Report which provides applicable constraints information for specific unscheduled orders. It is the Dealer’s responsibility to access these resources in order to properly manage their USOB and communicate the appropriate information with their retail customers.

When there are multiple orders in the USOB with the same priority codes, the scheduling system will schedule the order with no commodity constraints, or the order with the fewest exceptions that can be made regardless of the original order date.

Unfortunately, there are far too few dealerships that have qualified, experienced staff with time available to monitor the resources available, monitor their USOB’s and communicate directly with their retail order customers on a timely basis. Effective reputation management requires Dealers to be pro-active with retail order communications. Customers should not have to constantly contact their Dealer for status updates. Unfortunately, customers accept what their sales representatives tell them, but most sales representatives don’t have the experience or knowledge about the retail order and scheduling process and tend to tell the customer what they want to hear. Customers should talk directly to the sales manager or the individual responsible for managing the USOB.

FIFO retail order scheduling is an ideal that is nearly impossible to implement based on the supply chain, commodity and plant production constraints that change constantly. F-Series order specifications include tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of configurations. One seemingly minor difference in an order can trigger multiple constraints based on compliance requirements, etc.

With the introduction of BEV’s (Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning), Ford has introduced new online ordering processes. The process includes new pricing policies (MSRP only) to maximize Ford profits with commissions paid to dealerships, dealership assignment by the customer, advertising compliance requirements, etc. The order management still lies at the dealership level with mostly the same responsibilities as any other retail order. There are also potential compliance issues related to franchise agreements, etc. A BEV comprehensive sales and pricing process that satisfies Ford, dealerships and consumers will not happen overnight.

The relationship between Ford and its Dealers has been difficult for years, with the priorities of each often being I conflict. Multiple management layers at Ford frequently implement policies and procedures that increasingly burden Ford Dealers with additional labor and time-consuming responsibilities to ensure compliance.

As it has been for decades, the ultimate responsibility for USOB management and scheduling is at the dealership level. I know well from 35 years of experience!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mags10 said:

That’s Marketing 101.

Thats BS.  Ford needs dealers as frustrating as they can be,  Tesla will too if they ever reach Ford volumes.  And Ford simply cannot ignore dealers.

Without supply chain issues this wouldn’t even be a problem and if you think it didn’t affect GM you’re dreaming.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Without supply chain issues this wouldn’t even be a problem and if you think it didn’t affect GM you’re dreaming.  

You've got that right. The fact that their sitting on lots with cash incentives is because no one is buying them.

On another note I do wish the allocation thing was more transparent for a buyer. I only had one dealership tell me that I likely would not get a truck from them because they didn't have a lot of allocations and even the dealer I'm with doesn't readily share that. And I get it, they want a sale and if a low allocation is going to turn a customer away then might as well not inform the customer just in case they actually do get the vehicle to sell. It's just very frustrating taking a gamble on a dealership you don't have normal relationships with.

9 hours ago, ImmortalJman said:

You've got that right. The fact that their sitting on lots with cash incentives is because no one is buying them.

On another note I do wish the allocation thing was more transparent for a buyer. I only had one dealership tell me that I likely would not get a truck from them because they didn't have a lot of allocations and even the dealer I'm with doesn't readily share that. And I get it, they want a sale and if a low allocation is going to turn a customer away then might as well not inform the customer just in case they actually do get the vehicle to sell. It's just very frustrating taking a gamble on a dealership you don't have normal relationships with.

Yes that’s a big problem and why you need to find a good dealer that will be honest with you.    I’m hoping to see that change with BEV factory orders and maybe that will eventually apply to all orders.

On 5/18/2023 at 5:34 PM, Mags10 said:

All this chatter doesn’t solve anything.

The first step for an alcoholic to actually get better is for said alcoholic to actually acknowledge that a problem exists.

1. A system that relies on dealer competence to manage an order bank so a customer can actually get a truck is BROKEN.  Period.  Fix it, Ford.
  2. A system that has a customer order a truck in January of ‘22, then VERY LIKELY not receive it in 2023 and have it roll to a ‘24 with God only knows how many more months of delay is BROKEN.  Spare me the “supply chain issues” comments.  GM got it figured out.  Every single option on my High Country works.  Fix it, Ford.
  3. Regarding the dealer protectionism allocation model…look at the Tesla model and my Elon Musk comment.  He would have this BS at Ford fixed inside of two weeks.

“It’s much more complicated than just what you see as a consumer”

Huh?

No, not really.

That’s Marketing 101.

The current order process only benefits high volume dealers, nor great Ford end customers.  In the order process, the customers aren't even considered.  If we were, LONG time Ford customers who buy from Ford and get their maintenance from Ford would get more priority in the order process.  Instead, you have to have chosen just the right dealer to order from.  As a very long term Ford customer, this is very frustrating, but the bottom line is Ford has proven they don't give a damn about customers like me.  We just are not important.  After all I have spent with Ford, I really don't like the way I am being treated as a customer.

There was a time when there really was no competition to Ford Super Duties.  That's not really the case any more and the GM HD trucks are also very capable and have very nice interiors.  I've had an order in since October 27, and neither the dealer or Ford are even able to tell me what to expect.  So a month ago I also ordered a 2024 Chevy HD and that order has already been picked up.  If the Chevy comes available before I even know when I can get my Ford, I'll take that one.

On 5/20/2023 at 11:45 AM, brockb961 said:

The current order process only benefits high volume dealers, nor great Ford end customers.  In the order process, the customers aren't even considered.  If we were, LONG time Ford customers who buy from Ford and get their maintenance from Ford would get more priority in the order process.  Instead, you have to have chosen just the right dealer to order from.  As a very long term Ford customer, this is very frustrating, but the bottom line is Ford has proven they don't give a damn about customers like me.  We just are not important.  After all I have spent with Ford, I really don't like the way I am being treated as a customer.

There was a time when there really was no competition to Ford Super Duties.  That's not really the case any more and the GM HD trucks are also very capable and have very nice interiors.  I've had an order in since October 27, and neither the dealer or Ford are even able to tell me what to expect.  So a month ago I also ordered a 2024 Chevy HD and that order has already been picked up.  If the Chevy comes available before I even know when I can get my Ford, I'll take that one.

I suspect you are a Job 2 order?

Your situation will likely dictate, but for what’s it’s worth, I really wish I had left my F450 Platty order out there, just to see how long it would have actually taken to get it.  By then it may have been time to trade again anyway.

22 hours ago, Mags10 said:

I suspect you are a Job 2 order?

Your situation will likely dictate, but for what’s it’s worth, I really wish I had left my F450 Platty order out there, just to see how long it would have actually taken to get it.  By then it may have been time to trade again anyway.

Nope, Job 1 order.

On 5/18/2023 at 8:43 PM, akirby said:

Thats BS.  Ford needs dealers as frustrating as they can be,  Tesla will too if they ever reach Ford volumes.  And Ford simply cannot ignore dealers.

I agree with you.  However, perception is reality in the eyes of the consumer.  They are switching brands like never before.   IMO they are all having issues just in different ways.   Strong leadership (referring to the Elon statement above) would make change happen but that is easier said than done. 

20 minutes ago, Monoman said:

I agree with you.  However, perception is reality in the eyes of the consumer.  They are switching brands like never before.   IMO they are all having issues just in different ways.   Strong leadership (referring to the Elon statement above) would make change happen but that is easier said than done. 

People like to think Ford is having trouble building and delivering vehicles and it’s hurting business.  But they’re either #1 or very close to it in overall sales and they’ve most likely gained market share the last 3 years.   Others are having the same problems so anybody that thinks it’s only a problem with one mfr have their head in the sand especially when it comes to Ford.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

People like to think Ford is having trouble building and delivering vehicles and it’s hurting business.  But they’re either #1 or very close to it in overall sales and they’ve most likely gained market share the last 3 years.   Others are having the same problems so anybody that thinks it’s only a problem with one mfr have their head in the sand especially when it comes to Ford.

I don’t disagree.  Ford has come out on top in sales year after year. My only thing is that’s company wide not not just F-Series and I completely understand F-Series is a big portion of sales. 
I just really do not understand how I am seeing 23 Rams all over the place specially higher models, and 24 GMCs all over including 2500 ultimates and and Denalis. Two of my buddies ordered a 2500 ultimate & 3500 ultimate both a couple months after I ordered my 250 Platinum and they are both currently driving their new Ultimates, mean while I sit here with nothing other than fords “I understand your disappointment but we are doing our best.” I really don’t understand why you (Ford) would take on more orders than you know 1000% you can build which to me seems the case. The majority of people who ordered King Ranches and higher are almost guaranteed at this point not to get their trucks scheduled before having to make a decision to move to a 24. Meanwhile Ram, Chevy, and GMC are all mass producing their highest trim levels with no delete of options. But good luck finding even an F-150 lariat or higher without a deleted steering wheel, security pack, or multi-contour seats let alone a high model superduty on the lot. 
I just don’t understand if you think you’re going to have supply issues, instead of taking 300,000 orders, take 150,000 orders a guarantee builds. Then if there is room build dealer stock. I hate seeing XL superdutys on lots but hey we don’t have any chips or other material for your Lariats or higher sorry.  

Sorry end rant

• Like 2

A stock held company can not just refuse an order. Why should they? Ford isn’t a mom and pop store.
I’m not sure what it’s going to take to get the message across here, but Ford orders will take longer. 
Buy one of those easy to come by Rams or GM trucks if you don’t want to wait, but don’t compare them to why we buy Fords. 
I have a truck on order, and my high volume dealer was perfectly straightforward. They told me 1 year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, George C said:

A stock held company can not just refuse an order. Why should they? Ford isn’t a mom and pop store.
I’m not sure what it’s going to take to get the message across here, but Ford orders will take longer. 
Buy one of those easy to come by Rams or GM trucks if you don’t want to wait, but don’t compare them to why we buy Fords. 
I have a truck on order, and my high volume dealer was perfectly straightforward. They told me 1 year. 

Great for your dealer to be straightforward, but when you wait 2 years for a platinum and still don’t have one somethings got to give.. 

• Like 1

2023 Ford F-Series Super Duty - Shipping to Customers

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2023/05/24/2023-ford-f-series-super-duty---the-most-powerful-and-connected-.html#

2023 Super Duty_Shipping Release.jpeg

• Ford, the No. 1 selling pickup manufacturer globally, is now delivering all Super Duty trim levels to retail and commercial customers, who will soon experience the truck's unprecedented levels of work capability, ingenious new technology and a suite of cloud-based services for new levels of productivity
  • Ford and more than 9,000 UAW workers at Kentucky Truck Plant and 1,800 UAW workers at Ohio Assembly Plant are assembling the all-new 2023 Ford Series Super Duty – the most powerful and connected Super Duty ever – to help fulfill overwhelming customer demand
  • Production supported by a $700 million investment and 500 new jobs for Louisville-assembled products, including Super Duty – more evidence of Ford's Built for America commitment
  • Increased real-world vehicle testing, additional quality checks and empowered employees key to delivering quality products and services for Super Duty customers
Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

2023 Ford F-Series Super Duty - Shipping to Customers

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2023/05/24/2023-ford-f-series-super-duty---the-most-powerful-and-connected-.html#

2023 Super Duty_Shipping Release.jpeg

• Ford, the No. 1 selling pickup manufacturer globally, is now delivering all Super Duty trim levels to retail and commercial customers, who will soon experience the truck's unprecedented levels of work capability, ingenious new technology and a suite of cloud-based services for new levels of productivity
  • Ford and more than 9,000 UAW workers at Kentucky Truck Plant and 1,800 UAW workers at Ohio Assembly Plant are assembling the all-new 2023 Ford Series Super Duty – the most powerful and connected Super Duty ever – to help fulfill overwhelming customer demand
  • Production supported by a $700 million investment and 500 new jobs for Louisville-assembled products, including Super Duty – more evidence of Ford's Built for America commitment
  • Increased real-world vehicle testing, additional quality checks and empowered employees key to delivering quality products and services for Super Duty customers

lol

I will believe it when I see my KR 450 in the detailing for delivery process at my dealer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mylriahd said:

That press release is pretty thick with marketing mumble -- is it saying anything new? Maybe they added more capacity to build? It's a press release I'd expect to read a few months ago when the first trucks were hitting lots. 

So, it's been limited scheduling for KR and Platinum for a number of weeks. Most of it is because of a couple of limited available items that are a part of those trim levels, but some of it was capacity for production. So, with the Kentucky plant open, it will help a small amount to alleviate the scheduling issues for higher trim levels. Though it was noted that Limited was exhausted for the rest of May and all of June.

• Like 1

2023 Super Duty Recalled Over Steering Column Bolts

https://fordauthority.com/2023/05/2023-ford-super-duty-recalled-over-steering-column-bolts/

2023 Super Duty_Plant Exit.jpg

Ford Motor Company is recalling select 2023 Ford Super Duty F-250, F-350, and F-450 pickups due to an issue with the steering column bolts.

The defect: in affected vehicles, the steering column upper shaft bolts may be missing or improperly tightened, resulting in possible separation of the steering column from the adjoining components.

The hazards: a disconnected steering column can result in a loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a crash.

Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this issue.

Components: steering column upper shaft bolts

Affected vehicles: select 2023 Ford Super Duty pickups produced between January 4th, 2023, and January 23rd, 2023.

Number of vehicles affected: 19

The fix: dealers will inspect and tighten the steering column upper shaft coupler bolts, or install any missing bolts, as necessary, free of charge.

Owners should: wait for communications from Ford, which will be begin in May 2023. The Ford reference number for this recall is 23S22.

Contacts:

• Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
  • FoMoCo Recall Number: 23S22
  • NHTSA Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236
  • NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
  • NHTSA Website: www.nhtsa.gov
Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

46 minutes ago, akirby said:

19 vehicles?  This is where it pays off to launch slowly, but I’m curious why it took this long to identify it.

Agreed but it's disturbing that a simple matter like installing bolts correctly or missing bolts ever happened in the first place, even if it is only 19 vehicles. Not a good sign of Ford's commitment to improve quality going forward. 

20 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Agreed but it's disturbing that a simple matter like installing bolts correctly or missing bolts ever happened in the first place, even if it is only 19 vehicles. Not a good sign of Ford's commitment to improve quality going forward. 

Actually I think it’s just the opposite.  This type of problem usually means they found a torque gun out of spec during routine inspections so they go back to the last known good inspection and assume anything built in that period could be bad.  They might have also found a problem with a specific employee.  The goal with something like that is to find it as early as possible and limit the damage but you can’t eliminate those kinds of failures.

Im also guessing some companies would ignore it or do a silent recall but Ford has shown that they’re willing to do recalls even over small issues affecting a small number of vehicles.  I actually like this better safe than sorry approach even if it gives them a higher number of recalls.

• Like 3