2023 Super Duty Orders & Discussion

ice-capades

15 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

2023 Super Duty - Commodity Contraints Information

2023 Super Duty_Commodity Contraints_2023-05-15.jpg

FDNB_2319_2023-05-12_2023 Super Duty_Commodity Constraints.pdf

Feel like at this point if you have a king ranch or higher model unscheduled at this point (me included) then we are screwed and may as well accept the fact we won’t be getting a 23 and need to decide if we want a 24 or go with another brand. Sad

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yankst28 said:

Feel like at this point if you have a king ranch or higher model unscheduled at this point (me included) then we are screwed and may as well accept the fact we won’t be getting a 23 and need to decide if we want a 24 or go with another brand. Sad

A '24? Look at Mr. Optimist over here. :)

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2023 at 1:46 PM, blackduty said:

No offense, but this is honestly the thing that really get's under my skin. Ford is balanced out on HO's. But yet, they will take a new order and build it, prior to guys who ordered on 10/27, making all of those wait longer. I've seen countless trucks ordered in 2-3-4-5 month of the year being picked up, scheduled, and majority delivered. But 10/27 orders are just "unscheduled clean".....

This ordering system needs to get changed to first in, first out. There will obviously be guys who ordered higher trim trucks, that won't get them because ford used up supplies on lower trim models that were ordered significantly later. 

I agree. One of the reasons I did not order a 6G bronco, was I didn't know when, if ever, I would get it and the more time went on, who got theirs and who didn't seemed all

over the map.

This SD had very little in options, so I gave it a shot thinking maybe. I didn't post to annoy others, I strictly posted to show that apparently, it was not the HO (or anything else

on my order) that was holding up someone else's order, it was something else on your option sheet. I thought about the 360 cameras, XLT premium, and even the spray in liner,

but the way I am getting this truck, is the way I've been living with my 05 dodge for 18 years, so I really didn't need any more over and above that. 

On 5/16/2023 at 2:58 PM, akirby said:

He didn’t say the order was placed on 5/6………

I did (maybe it wasn't clear) and it was 

Edited by OX1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Had to be an existing order they just reassigned to you

You mean an allocation that was in the works, just changed to my specific build? 

Must have had two, as another guy I have been PMing on FTE put his order in with same dealer, 

a week before me, and got his confirmation and VIN about as long as it took to get mine.

This is the thread he put up. 

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1725362-from-ordered-to-scheduled-in-3-days.html

Here is his full build (he sent it to me SEPCOR). 

F350 4X4 CREW CAB PU DRW/176
176 INCH WHEELBASE
AGATE BLACK
40/20/40 CLOTH SEAT
MEDIUM DARK SLATE
PREFERRED EQUIPMENT PKG.623A
.XLT TRIM
.AM/FM STEREO MP3/CLK
6.7 HI OUTPUT POWER STROKE
10-SPEED AUTO TORQSHIFT
LT245/75R17E BSW ALL-TERRAIN
3.55 RATIO LIMITED SLIP AXLE
JOB #2 ORDER
CV LOT MANAGEMENT
CARPET DELETE
FX4 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE
.SKID PLATES
PLATFORM RUNNING BOARDS
14000# GVWR PACKAGE
RAPID HEAT SUPPLEMENTAL HEATER

ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
50 STATE EMISSIONS
BACKGLASS DEFROST
SNOWPLOW PREP/CAMPER PACKAGE
5TH WHEEL HITCH PREP PACKAGE
POWERSCOPE TRAILER TOW MIRROR
BLIS (BLIND SPOT INFO SYSTEM)
JACK
FORGED ALUMINUM WHEELS-17"
UPFITTER SWITCHES
410 AMP ALTERNATOR
REVERSE SENSING SYSTEM
REMOTE START SYSTEM
REMARKS TRAILER
TAILGATE STEP
DUAL BATTERY
360-DEGREE CAMERA PACKAGE
FUEL CHARGE
PRICED DORA
DESTINATION & DELIVERY

On 5/12/2023 at 8:43 PM, ImmortalJman said:

From the Ford Video guy video I know at least from this last week's round of scheduling, my truck had very little chance of getting picked up. 19.5" tires, the ones that are on F450's, was only 2% of scheduled builds?. That and vista roofs are 20% which mine also has. Also HO Diesel was very low, though I don't recall the percentage. Then there's the upfitter switches which are a part of KR, and the pro back-up trailer assist which is also on KR. All of these were very low percentages for scheduling. I might be looking at a unicorn build. I know soon I'll have to decide if I can wait for a 24 if this thing doesn't get scheduled. I'm a priority 10 I'm case anyone else is in the same bucket...it's just parts availability.

Anyone else on here waiting for an F450?

yup ---still waiting-- damit! 

Edited by Woodmnctry
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 10:29 PM, Smurf830 said:

This all is so sad, especially for those who ordered the  KRs, Plats and Limiteds during the opening of the MY23 order banks.  I am one of those who did so.  Really wanted and needed my King Ranch this summer.  I've read elsewhere where the higher trims will be scheduled last.  However I have not seen any verification of that.  

I really thought Ford would be on top of their game as  the MY23 super duties was billed as an all new truck.  Problems with the OKTB and the issues with the EPA diesels and 7.3 should not have happened.  Who would have guessed that the first super duties would not leave the plant until March and that no upper trims would be scheduled until the end of July.

Meanwhile,  Ford's only real competitor, GM,  was producing MY23 in December and started MY24 in March.  GM is concentrating on building the upper trims now.  They expect to attract former Ford super duty orders

I don't have time to wait for a truck that may or may not be built.  I don't want to hear about supply chain issues.  I don't want to hear excuses.

I did purchase a new 23 Duramax LTZ premium 3500 yesterday.  It had a $6.5 discount off MRSP as it was last years model and only a $150 dealer add on for paperwork.  My plans for the summer can go on.   Sure wished that Ford had followed through with the excitement on the opening of the order banks for the MY23.

I did the same…bought a 3500HD High Country Chevy dually last October.  I ordered an F450 Platinum in January of ‘22.  Was told 5-9 months.  Dealer and I had several communications over the summer, one of which was the multi contour seat delete.  Then it was back on in September.  In October, the dealer called and said the order will have to roll to a ‘23, and it will be another 6-9 months.  Much to my surprise, I got on GM’s website that night and found 143 duallies inside a 500 mile radius, about half of which were sitting on dealer lots.  Two were only 90 miles away.  My wife and I talked it over, decided the new time estimate from Ford would probably not hold, and bought the Chevy the following week.  I’ll wait until Ford gets this train wreck fixed, then be back for the F450.

GM got things straightened out.  It’s time for Ford to get it straightened out.  Don’t take orders you can’t fill.  Stop making excuses.    Stop sending worthless emails about how sorry you are.  The whole ordering system/dealer allocation process is infuriating.  If dealer competence is a determining factor of when you get a truck, then the system is broken.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, schneesb said:

Anything regarding the  Max Recline seats...are they on constraint now?

This is the latest information available. Your Dealer can check the AM Preview Scheduling Report for specific commodity constraints applicable to your order. 

12 hours ago, akirby said:

Yes - Mid May builds would have already been scheduled in April.

Just saw one on FTE where it went from ordered, to built in 18 days. 

Ford needs to get rid of their "allocation" system. And the way they schedule orders. Now, they have used up the HO option on so many later orders, that some early orders sit and wait, because that's a small percentage of new scheduled builds, because they used alot of them up recently. First orders in should get priority. They know how many of certain things they will order from their vendors. 

They also need to cross check orders. If someone orders 2 or 3 trucks from different dealers. Contact the person, tell them you get 1 as a Job1, and the others as Job 2. Take your pick, or you might only get 1 truck because it's a multiple order thru different dealers. There's so many people that have ordered 2 or 3 trucks, and just take whichever comes in first. That's a pretty crappy way to go about it. If it's an order for a business, fine, schedule them. A business could order 2+ trucks, and have a need for them. An individual won't, unless they are playing the game to get whatever comes in first. 

I'm not particularly saying this because i "need" a truck. I have a perfectly good 21, that i use when i need it. And whether i get a 23 or 24, i really don't care. I'm just saying this stuff, as i look at it from both sides. This stuff that's going on with Ford, is seriously hurting the company. You see it on here, on FTE, on facebook, and talking to others who you know that have ordered. It's flat out upset alot of people. I got a buddy that ordered a 22 limited, back in 21, and never got it. It was converted to a 23 by his dealer, and he hasn't heard boo. 

12 hours ago, Mags10 said:

If dealer competence is a determining factor of when you get a truck, then the system is broken.

Ignoring any other logistical hiccups and supply blah blah blah, this right here is the most bewildering. The ordering system for something with so many dependencies shouldn't leave much room for bad dealers to make mistakes. The deeply incompetent dealers will find ways to blow it, but it seems like even the well-meaning ones aren't entirely sure that they've dotted all the i's and there's very little transparency to the buyer. And then there is the whole allocation system which I really don't get. It seems there is some gambling involved on the part of the buyer -- did I choose a dealer that Ford likes, or am I stuck in the line that never moves? I have no idea how to know and it bothers me that it's a critical factor in when / if I get what I ordered. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, blackduty said:

Ford needs to get rid of their "allocation" system. And the way they schedule orders. Now, they have used up the HO option on so many later orders, that some early orders sit and wait, because that's a small percentage of new scheduled builds, because they used alot of them up recently. First orders in should get priority. They know how many of certain things they will order from their vendors. 

Absolutely. There was a point made recently that if they went with First In First Out, that would hold things up and nothing would ever get built, but that's not necessarily true with some smart management. At some point, a Limited is waiting to get built because while they have an HO engine ready, they don't have a moonroof. SO they build the HO Lariat without moonroof. Eventually moonroof is available but now they can't build the Limited at all because there are no HO engines available despite the Limited being in the books since day 1 and knowing exactly what is needed to build it. Some artificial constraints by withholding critical parts you KNOW will be needed based on the order book for these earlier orders would allow many new orders to go on, but not keep bumping the more complex builds off the edge of the table. From what I've read here about constraints it's more like that assessment is made each week / month based on what's available. That's not logistical management, that's just making everyone roll a cup of dice and only building those that have the right combination. Says me, the armchair logistics pro.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, blackduty said:

I got a buddy that ordered a 22 limited, back in 21, and never got it. It was converted to a 23 by his dealer, and he hasn't heard boo. 

All good points, and this above is why we punted.  I think seeing a ‘23 Platty or Limited will be about as rare as a Yeti sighting.  Until enough brand agnostic folks (like me), together with enough blindly brand loyal folks, see the light and send them a message thru their purchase decisions, nothing will change (because it doesn’t have to).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mylriahd said:

Absolutely. There was a point made recently that if they went with First In First Out, that would hold things up and nothing would ever get built, but that's not necessarily true with some smart management. At some point, a Limited is waiting to get built because while they have an HO engine ready, they don't have a moonroof. SO they build the HO Lariat without moonroof. Eventually moonroof is available but now they can't build the Limited at all because there are no HO engines available despite the Limited being in the books since day 1 and knowing exactly what is needed to build it. Some artificial constraints by withholding critical parts you KNOW will be needed based on the order book for these earlier orders would allow many new orders to go on, but not keep bumping the more complex builds off the edge of the table. From what I've read here about constraints it's more like that assessment is made each week / month based on what's available. That's not logistical management, that's just making everyone roll a cup of dice and only building those that have the right combination. Says me, the armchair logistics pro.

You said exactly what i was thinking. Because i have saw plenty of trucks that were ordered in the March/April timeframe, built and shipped already, Spec'd out similar to 10/27-11/2 ordered trucks, but those early ordered trucks are lost in the stacks of papers because the dealer they ordered from doesn't have allocation this week or month. And now when they should be getting scheduled, they miss the boat on it, because now it's upfitter integration holding it back, or some other thing, that was installed into a truck 2 weeks ago, because that dealer had allocation. When they had the parts a few weeks or a month ago to build them, they just didn't because this dealer had an allocation, so let's build that one, even though the order was placed a week ago, and piss on the guy who ordered 6 months ago. The whole allocation thing should be scrapped. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, blackduty said:

You said exactly what i was thinking. Because i have saw plenty of trucks that were ordered in the March/April timeframe, built and shipped already, Spec'd out similar to 10/27-11/2 ordered trucks, but those early ordered trucks are lost in the stacks of papers because the dealer they ordered from doesn't have allocation this week or month. And now when they should be getting scheduled, they miss the boat on it, because now it's upfitter integration holding it back, or some other thing, that was installed into a truck 2 weeks ago, because that dealer had allocation. When they had the parts a few weeks or a month ago to build them, they just didn't because this dealer had an allocation, so let's build that one, even though the order was placed a week ago, and piss on the guy who ordered 6 months ago. The whole allocation thing should be scrapped. 

Wholeheartedly agree.  This isn’t rocket science.

We need Elon Musk to ditch Twitter and buy Ford.

He’d have this nonsense fixed inside of two weeks.

You guys are right on that it sucks from a customer perspective.  But you’re not understanding Ford’s position.  They cannot ignore dealers and just build what customers want if it disadvantages certain dealers.  It’s not good for business and it’s actually illegal in some cases.  So they have to try and please both dealers and customers.  When they’ve tried to cater more to customers it hasn’t worked well.

Ford is trying to do just that with BEVs because it won’t affect dealers as much and they’ll have new systems and processes.  

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

You guys are right on that it sucks from a customer perspective.  But you’re not understanding Ford’s position.  They cannot ignore dealers and just build what customers want if it disadvantages certain dealers.  It’s not good for business and it’s actually illegal in some cases.  So they have to try and please both dealers and customers.  When they’ve tried to cater more to customers it hasn’t worked well.

Ford is trying to do just that with BEVs because it won’t affect dealers as much and they’ll have new systems and processes.  

I absolutely don't understand all the complexities, all I can do is oversimplify and I understand we're not changing the world here in this thread, just ranting. I don't think anyone is asking that dealers (certain dealers?) be disadvantaged. I think we're asking Ford to stop disadvantaging customers so that certain dealers can be advantaged. The world has changed in so many ways, we're reminded of that every time Ford sends us an email. It's good they are modernizing the process with the BEVs, but it's hard to understand how the old way of doing things in this new reality is good for anyone at all. Anyone except certain dealers.

43 minutes ago, akirby said:

But, that forces people to order a vehicle from a dealer they wouldn't normally order from, just to have better odds of getting one because of allocations. Which is complete garbage. You walk away from your small, local dealer, to fly 600 miles away to pick up a truck, and then expect your local dealer to warranty your $90,000 truck, that you didn't purchase from them, that they made no profit on sales from, or anything like that. And then probably throw a temper tantrum when they don't push that $90,000 brand new truck in front of the line, over the local guy that bought his explorer from that dealer.  Good luck keeping local dealers afloat. 

That sort of business model, is flat out not good for business, and is a disadvantage to certain dealers. My local dealer is the one that puts money back into our small communities. Big dealers aren't sending money 600 miles away to a small community because they sold someone from there a truck. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mylriahd said:

I absolutely don't understand all the complexities, all I can do is oversimplify and I understand we're not changing the world here in this thread, just ranting. I don't think anyone is asking that dealers (certain dealers?) be disadvantaged. I think we're asking Ford to stop disadvantaging customers so that certain dealers can be advantaged.

Ignoring allocation and building strictly FIFO on retail orders could cause some dealers to lose half their normal allocation so yes that is a big disadvantage for that dealer.  Look at Grainger and their Bronco and Bronco Sport and Maverick orders.  They lowballed prices to get more orders - which is perfectly fine if they’re just selling from their allocation but Ford was giving incremental allocation for retail orders and they broke the system.

Like I said from a consumer standpoint it seems great and I personally would love it.  But Ford can’t really do that at least not to that degree on existing high volume vehicles.

Now if supply chain wasn’t an issue everyone would get their orders within 8 weeks and none of this would be an issue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ignoring allocation and building strictly FIFO on retail orders could cause some dealers to lose half their normal allocation so yes that is a big disadvantage for that dealer.  Look at Grainger and their Bronco and Bronco Sport and Maverick orders.  They lowballed prices to get more orders - which is perfectly fine if they’re just selling from their allocation but Ford was giving incremental allocation for retail orders and they broke the system.

I agree it needs to be something other than FIFO, these aren't pizzas. It realistically needs to be a number of solutions to completely address it, but I can't help but think there are better options for everyone than allocations. 

17 minutes ago, blackduty said:

But, that forces people to order a vehicle from a dealer they wouldn't normally order from, just to have better odds of getting one because of allocations. Which is complete garbage. You walk away from your small, local dealer, to fly 600 miles away to pick up a truck, and then expect your local dealer to warranty your $90,000 truck, that you didn't purchase from them, that they made no profit on sales from, or anything like that. And then probably throw a temper tantrum when they don't push that $90,000 brand new truck in front of the line, over the local guy that bought his explorer from that dealer.  Good luck keeping local dealers afloat. 

That sort of business model, is flat out not good for business, and is a disadvantage to certain dealers. My local dealer is the one that puts money back into our small communities. Big dealers aren't sending money 600 miles away to a small community because they sold someone from there a truck. 

But your dealer isn’t losing existing sales.  They still get (and sell) their allocation like they’ve always had.  It may prevent them from getting some additional sales.

And I’ve always been in favor of incremental allocation for retail orders and so has Ford.  They’ve done it before on select vehicles and they did exactly what you want with the Bronco launch.  Build by order sequence regardless of dealer with no allocation restrictions.  Then Grainger lowballed prices and totally distorted the sales distribution which combined with production delays and supply chain issues forced them back to an allocation model.

Its much more complicated than just what you see as a consumer.

• Like 2