F250 Ride Quality

EastMark

What a wealth of knowledge shared here. Been reading here and learning for years.

So Im coming off 4 great F150s. Currently have a 16 Lariat. Love the truck. 110,000 miles. We have a 27’ RV and It tows and handles it well. Plan on more RVing in a year or two and longer trips. We need a new truck so we want to order a 23 F250 this month. Better payload and greater towing is the lure for us. 

Was planning on ordering the 7.3 but Im seriously looking for the specs on 6.8 now. The current trucks getting it done with the 5.0 so 6.8 may be plenty. Curious what the gas mileage will be compared to the 7.3.

We also don't need max tow/payload and really dont want to do anything that will stiffen the ride. We expect a loss of ride quality from the 150’s….but dont need off road capabilities or towing capacity beyond the standard 250 specs. We will order 20” wheels. The ride is more important in our case.

My question is what options can detract from ride quality ? I hear the FX4 package will stiffen it some ? Anything else we should consider not adding to retain best ride quality ? We want to do this right, Any input is appreciated !

2 hours ago, EastMark said:

What a wealth of knowledge shared here. Been reading here and learning for years.

So Im coming off 4 great F150s. Currently have a 16 Lariat. Love the truck. 110,000 miles. We have a 27’ RV and It tows and handles it well. Plan on more RVing in a year or two and longer trips. We need a new truck so we want to order a 23 F250 this month. Better payload and greater towing is the lure for us. 

Was planning on ordering the 7.3 but Im seriously looking for the specs on 6.8 now. The current trucks getting it done with the 5.0 so 6.8 may be plenty. Curious what the gas mileage will be compared to the 7.3.

We also don't need max tow/payload and really dont want to do anything that will stiffen the ride. We expect a loss of ride quality from the 150’s….but dont need off road capabilities or towing capacity beyond the standard 250 specs. We will order 20” wheels. The ride is more important in our case.

My question is what options can detract from ride quality ? I hear the FX4 package will stiffen it some ? Anything else we should consider not adding to retain best ride quality ? We want to do this right, Any input is appreciated !

The high capacity trailer tow package (HCTTP) will give you a heavier duty axle and stiffer suspension. I would avoid that unless you need it. That more or less turns your truck into an F-350 with F-250 badging. 

When choosing your engine, keep in mind this truck may be significantly heavier than your F-150. The 5.0 isn’t necessarily apples to apples with the 6.8. I would go 7.3 and never look back. Bigger displacement usually means less of a hit to MPG when you hook up a trailer, and more power is always a good thing. 

FX4 doesn't really change anything on the suspension other than some rebranded shocks.  I skipped it and just got the skid plates for $100 which is all I wanted. 

I have a 2019 150 and had a 350 srw before going back to the dually.  Ride was fine on the srw as long as I lowered the tire pressure.  Yes is was stiffer but not bad at all.  I'd air up if I needed to haul something or pull the trailer.  I did have to lower the set points on the TPMS with forscan however.  

Only thing I would say is if you live somewhere where there is not registration issue GVWR get a 350.  While the 250/350 are close to the same rig, if you ever decide to upgrade trailers, you'll be glad you have a 350.  No ever said, "I think I have too much truck".

As far as engines go, I'd get the 7.3 only because the 6.8 will be new and there will likely be some bugs to work out. I only have 1500 miles on my 7.3 but it certainly has a lot more ummph  than the 6.2 it replaced.  

Good luck!

I have a 2021 F250 with 7.3L & 3:55 gearing. I tow a 7,500# TT and couldn't be happier with the setup. You'll gets lots of responses that "you should get the 4:30 gears". With the 10 speed trans, the 4:30 isn't needed unless you're towing the max or at least over 12,000#. The 20" wheels are a rougher ride than the 18" due to the 18" tires having larger sidewalls giving a softer ride. 

I have a 22 F250 with 7.3 and love it. When hauling our 24' camper, the truck really doesn't even feel like its towing anything. I think the 6.8 would still be more than enough for most campers.  My truck has both a camper and snow plow prep packages, so I think its basically a 350 with the 250 badging. It is generally not a bad ride on the road, but the big bumps at slow speeds really toss you around ( like entering commercial driveways at an angle).  From a ride and comfort perspective, I really wish I could get by with an F150 but my work demands a heavier truck.  The biggest difference you will notice is of course the ride, but also the steering effort for maneuvering at slow speeds.  It seems like it takes a lot of steering to make tight turns in a super duty, compared to my dad's F150.  I have never had an f250 with the standard (lighter) suspension but I suspect it would not be too bad of a ride. I suspect the 20" wheels will hurt that cause compared to the 18" ones though.  

From what I've read online, the 7.3 doesn't seem to be much worse off for mpg than the 6.2 was. When towing our camper very gently at speeds in the 65 neighborhood, it will get high 8's.  If you can cruise empty on the highway, it will get high 14's.  Where I think the 7.3 hurts you is just the short trips and frequent idling. The average mileage I get in my truck is about 8mpg.  My driving is generally within 5 miles of home, lower speeds, mostly without a trailer, and the MPG readout usually anywere from 7-9MPG.  I believe smaller displacement would likely improve the efficiency for my type of driving, but maybe not for someone who does mostly highway miles.  Gotta say, I LOVE the power of the 7.3, and it would be hard for me to part with it.  Mine also has 3.55 gearing and I'm very happy wit it, and I have no idea why so many people get the 4.30.  I've heard a few people comment how the 4.30 gearing makes the truck a little jumpy when changing gears from reverse to forward. 

Regarding the 6.8 specs, If I remember correctly, during the reveal I think they said it would be higher specs than the outgoing 6.2, so that would put it somewhere around the 400 hp range.

Edited by Kory04
  • Like 1

I currently have a 2022 F250 Lariat Tremor with 7.3 and 4.30 gears. Came off a 2015 f150 Lariat 5.0. Ride is definitely rougher over 150 when off road, but that is expected. I love my new truck. On the highway, cruise control,  I don't see a significant change over my 150, It still rides smooth, just worse MPG. I cant even tell that my camper is behind the F250.  

BUY THE TERMOR! 

20221007_092210.jpg

I have a 22 250 Lariat, 7.3 18" wheels and 3.55 ratio diff. Absolutely love this truck. Towing a 25', 7000Lb trailer it performs superbly and the ten speed trans is excellent. I got the camper package, which adds rear overload spring and rear sway bar, front springs were already at the max, so no change there. You will definitely feel a stiffer ride than your 150, but you are going from a half ton to 3/4 ton, so that is to be expected.  Towing I get 10.5 mpg, 15 mpg empty, of course how hard you push the skinny pedal will affect your numbers.

51 minutes ago, KKosi said:

I got the camper package, which adds rear overload spring and rear sway bar, front springs were already at the max, so no change there. 

Thanks. Such great replies here and sharing of first hand knowledge. Amazing.

And so reading above info….is the ride only stiffer after adding the trailer package when its loaded vs daily driver non-loaded non-towing situations ?

Seems like…. Front springs same. Rear designed to handle an overload. Not familiar with what effect the rear sway is designed to do ?

Secondly, anyone gone from 18” to 20” after driving the same truck a while ?

Seems many run tire pressure low to soften the ride. Makes sense. How low ? Effect the wear at all ?

@Kory04 mentioned the roll going into a parking lot at an angle. My F150 Lariat had it terribly. I hated it. Reading this forum a few years ago I switched the stock rear shocks to the Bilson’s. What a different truck. Loved the improvement. I like my rock n roll just coming from the radio. haha 

7 hours ago, Kory04 said:

Regarding the 6.8 specs, If I remember correctly, during the reveal I think they said it would be higher specs than the outgoing 6.2, so that would put it somewhere around the 400 hp range.

The 6.8 specs will have to be pretty impressive to sway me from the 7.3. Its proven. Then again who really wants to spend a few grand on top of the rest of it. Im guessing Id get that couple grand back when it goes some day.

I have a lightweight stainless 7’6” Boss plow for my driveway only. My F150 has no Plow Prep and its all good.

Dont think I need Plow Prep on this.  ?   What does that do for the build ?  Does it stiffen the front suspension/ride  ?

7 hours ago, River Wild said:

FX4 doesn't really change anything on the suspension other than some rebranded shocks.  I skipped it and just got the skid plates for $100 which is all I wanted. 

Good info. Thanks.

I had someone tell me it would make it ride harder. Id rather spend the $ on aftermarket Bilson’s. They improved my 150 ride a lot over the stock.

We moved from an F150 to our 2022 F250.  The F150 was/is a squishy ride and in retrospect felt sloppy compared to our F250.  We have the 7.3 with 3:55 gears and it is awesome towing our 7,500 travel trailer.  We are just over 6 months since new and about half of our 12,000 miles on the clock have been towing.  Our last truck had the 3.5L twin turbo so we ran 93 octane when towing and averaged 9 mpg.  We run 87 octane in the 7.3 and still get 9 mpg towing the exact same trailer, so the 7.3 is actually less expensive on gas when towing. I would not hesitate to order this exact same truck again.

Edited by NH_Bulldog

On 10/13/2022 at 10:42 AM, Kory04 said:

I have a 22 F250 with 7.3 and love it. 

The biggest difference you will notice is of course the ride, but also the steering effort for maneuvering at slow speeds.  It seems like it takes a lot of steering to make tight turns in a super duty, compared to my dad's F150.  

How much does the Adaptive Steering option make at slow speeds ? Anyone ?

24 minutes ago, EastMark said:

How much does the Adaptive Steering option make at slow speeds ? Anyone ?

Our 2012 F150 Platinum Screw without AS took about one full steering wheel rotation for 90degree turn at low speed.

Our 22 Platinum Tremor with AS takes about 1/2 turn of wheel to make same 90degree low speed turn…or, so it seems.

On 10/13/2022 at 5:52 PM, EastMark said:

Dont think I need Plow Prep on this.  ?   What does that do for the build ?  Does it stiffen the front suspension/ride  ?

I believe the plow prep adds 400# capacity to the front springs, and in the order guide, there is a warning that it will negatively affect the ride quality.  I got the prep package because I plow our large commercial property with a very large snow plow in the 1200# range

Regarding the adaptive steering, I have never had it.  My truck is an XLT and it wasn't available on that trim level.  If it was, I would have ordered it, and I would have waited for it to become available.  The steering effort required is probably one of the bigger annoyances I have with my truck. 

49 minutes ago, Kory04 said:

I believe the plow prep adds 400# capacity to the front springs, and in the order guide, there is a warning that it will negatively affect the ride quality.  I got the prep package because I plow our large commercial property with a very large snow plow in the 1200# range

This is great info. I will pass based on my ride quality priority !

8 hours ago, sjmcken81 said:

Our 2012 F150 Platinum Screw without AS took about one full steering wheel rotation for 90degree turn at low speed.

Our 22 Platinum Tremor with AS takes about 1/2 turn of wheel to make same 90degree low speed turn…or, so it seems.

Im in on this option then.

1 hour ago, EastMark said:

Im in on this option then.

Only thing to think though is AS was a consistent commodity constraint on 22’s, one of the main ones.

Our F250 Platinum Tremor delivered at 15 months from order date, 15 1/2 months to pick up, and with Ford Corporate getting involved at one year to get Priority 1 to get built.

That said, love the AS so far, cannot get after the fact, like tonneau or spray in liner.

To add, Platinums and Limiteds were very rare 22 scheduling due to options/constraints, let alone a Platinum Tremor  And, it’s been announced that Tremors will only be 5% of 23’s produced.

So, think lower trim level if you want AS….or, just order what you want, like we did, expect a wait, then get Ford Corporate involved if it gets insanely long.

Finally, if you didn’t know, all Tremors are F350’s, F250’s are just derated F350’s…same rear leaf pack.  That said, our F250 Tremor is 83” tall at which garaging problematic.  Airing down tires, you can get to 82.25”

PS, An F250 Tremor gas with rated payload of 2600lbs, 10k gvwr, is the same as anF350 Tremor, 11.3k gvwr, with 3900lbs payload, just not legally.

Edited by sjmcken81
Addition

Tons of great insight. Thanks for that. One thing Im still wondering what to do on is wheels size.

Like the look of the 20’s like I have on my F150 a lot better over 18’s  but in real life is the difference in ride really noticeable from the 18’s ?

I could run them low when not loaded or towing as some do here. Good idea. What are you guys running them at ?

So the trailer package adds a rear overload spring. Not sure if that effects the non- loaded ride ? Anyone ?

The timbrens I put on my 150 does the job well on my current truck. Would they do a similar job to the overload springs ?

BTW, What is the rear sway add designed to do ?

Any input good or bad on the trailer package is greatly appreciated.

Edited by EastMark

IMO, stay far far away from Timbrens, especially on the rear.. Not necessary on a SD, and if you are having overload problems on a 1/2, you have the wrong truck.

Yes, they will stop the sag on a 1/2 ton, but the price you pay is your suspension is now on solid rubber with almost no give. I tossed them out on my last 1/2 ton work truck in 2010. I’ll never buy another 1/2 ton again.
Overloads are different on the 350, there is still plenty of give once they are engaged, and when they’re in use, there is plenty of weight to smooth things out. 

My current personal use truck is a 2020 Limited. I order the snow plow package for the more leveled look. Even though the front springs are suppose to be slightly stiffer, I find the ride pretty unbelievable for a heavy truck. When loaded for towing, is almost car like. 
I ordered the same set up for my 23’ .

As far as 20’s, again, I’m not into the look of 18” runner on a bigger truck. I’ve had 20’s on my SD trucks since 2008. 

Sway bars stiffen side to side articulation like when you are hauling something top heavy. . Takes away sway, but does stiffen it up.

Adaptive steering? LOVE it…

05095311-D507-48C0-885D-25174E900611.jpeg

Edited by George C

Beauty George ! Thanks for that input,

So when I add Adaptive Steering in the “build” it is forcing the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System be included as well at $2700 which I don’t really want..making the cost on top of the $1000 AS option for an increase of $3700.  Geez. My trailer has 3 wireless cameras already. Bummer.  :(

————————-

Correction. The Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera is about $1700. The Ultimate Trailer High Capacity Tow Camera system increases towing capacity a lot and is about $2700. Either is sufficient to allow adding Adaptive Steering for an additional $1000. You need one or the other in 22 MY for the AS option.

Edited by EastMark
Bad info given