2023 UAW Contract Wish List

Dayshift

Considering the "healthy" contracts the UAW negotiated at John Deere and other Ag companies what should we expect from the 2023 contract negotiations with Ford, GM and Stellantis.

Based on the John Deere contract, I am including some items we will likely ask for in our next contract. Please rank them in order of importance as you see it and if you think it likely, unlikely or impossible.

Feel free to add additional items to the list.

20% or great raise over life of contract.

Return of cost of living.

Elimination of 2 tear wages.

Large signing bonus

Increase in pension for legacy workers / retirees

Protection of healthcare

I will go first.

• Like 1

• ice-capades changed the title to 2023 UAW Contract Wish List

For 2023 UAW contract

#1 Protection of healthcare (Likely)

#2 Return of cost of living. (Likely)

#3 20% or greater raise over life of contract. (Likely)

#4 Elimination of 2 tear wages. (Possible)

#5 Large signing bonus (Likely)

#6 Increase in pension for legacy workers / retirees (Unlikely)

We have to be willing to strike if we are going to get what we deserve. 

Edited by Dayshift

41 minutes ago, Dayshift said:

For 2023 UAW contract

#1 Protection of healthcare (Likely)

#2 Return of cost of living. (Likely)

#3 20% or greater raise over life of contract. (Likely)

#4 Elimination of 2 tear wages. (Possible)

#5 Large signing bonus (Likely)

#6 Increase in pension for legacy workers / retirees (Unlikely)

We have to be willing to strike if we are going to get what we deserve. 

I would like to add a change to scheduling rules so they can’t hold our weekends hostage anymore. Decisions on Super Saturday or Super Sunday must be made by Noon on Wednesday at latest. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

IMO, the first five items are possible. Number six is something that would take a bit more work. Seeing as pensions within the auto industry are now less and less of importance at the negotiation's because the group of members eligible is getting smaller by the day. 

Number one on my wish list would be a complete one time payment of all monetary pension benefits. 

Next months IUAW elections could make things very different from past negotiation's.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Decker said:

IMO, the first five items are possible. Number six is something that would take a bit more work. Seeing as pensions within the auto industry are now less and less of importance at the negotiation's because the group of members eligible is getting smaller by the day. 

Number one on my wish list would be a complete one time payment of all monetary pension benefits. 

Next months IUAW elections could make things very different from past negotiation's.  

If what I hear of pension eligible salary employees and new changes in payments, an increase in pension would be the last thing to expect. 

On your Number one, salary has had a lump sum option for some time. With rapidly changing interest rates would need to do a little math and have a good crystal ball to see if it is right for you. If I say any more, it would get political, so I'll leave it alone.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 12:03 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I would like to add a change to scheduling rules so they can’t hold our weekends hostage anymore. Decisions on Super Saturday or Super Sunday must be made by Noon on Wednesday at latest. 

how can ford  /(UAW)ask someone to work "C" crew..... they work Friday and Saturday day shift and sunday & Monday afternoon shift. if you want to say something , then work it for a week . uaw where are you. we should work 3shifts. be careful who you vote for..if the uaw endorses a president vote for the other. amen

1 hour ago, jerrymaker said:

how can ford  /(UAW)ask someone to work "C" crew..... they work Friday and Saturday day shift and sunday & Monday afternoon shift. if you want to say something , then work it for a week . uaw where are you. we should work 3shifts. be careful who you vote for..if the uaw endorses a president vote for the other. amen

I spent 3 years in C crew. Loved it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I spent 3 years in C crew. Loved it. 

I was surprised when C crew started in Chicago that some preferred it. Reasons varied, but some were quite strong in their preference. Even some salary preferred it as well. For myself, I used B crew as a way to avoid meetings and get some work done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paintguy said:

I was surprised when C crew started in Chicago that some preferred it. Reasons varied, but some were quite strong in their preference. Even some salary preferred it as well. For myself, I used B crew as a way to avoid meetings and get some work done. 

I will never willingly go back to B-crew. I was stuck on it for far too long and hated every minute of it. 

• Like 1

I would like to see the 80 hours FORCED vacation in July be returned to the membership. That is MY VACATION TIME THEY ARE FORCING ME TO TAKE DURING SHUT DOWN. If they are shutting down for model change over then they should allow us to file for unemployment. I should be able to use those 80 hours when or IF i want to.

• Like 1

Non Legacy have no side to be thrown too. It was said, it would be a good thing, for us to help the poor auto industry stay in business by agreeing to these benefits.  

Legacy members, LIB`s most likely will be as stagnant as they have been for years.

Well the knuckleheads and their rumors have Ford not only giving away golden eggs but the goose too.

Signing bonus that will pay off mortgages, insurance coverage that cover anything and your dogs & kitties too, retirees finally getting the rumored (for decades) $3500 a month (after Taxes) and the alternate work schedule & all the tier are Hiss Torr Eee.... so the story goes.  

The next contract will be very interesting, I am sure. 

Edited by Decker

• 2 months later...

While this is a great concept, since minimum wage is going up I think the 20% over lifetime of contract should be higher.

Cola for sure needs brought back.

Stop the temp 2 tier system.

Return our dues to 1 hour of pay per month.

Stop forcing us to use our vacation time to accomadate their shut down.

Raise the pension for retirees.

Bring Pensions back for everyone.

I feel as is our breaks should be 6 minutes on the hour. 

Super Saturday/Sunday should be scheduled by noon on Wednesday, if cancelled we hould be compensated.

When labor messes up on our pay they should be held accountable.

• 2 weeks later...

And i wouldn’t be a bit surprised if we see a rather large buyout for anyone with decent seniority 10 years and above. This contract will be wild because it’s going to make or break ford and the workers. I’d be surprised if ford tried to under cut everything based on all the current production issues but i was wrong about the 2019 strike because it was going to effect the C8 launch. So who knows i just want a large buyout “I’d take it” or some serious updates to pay and COLA 

On 10/24/2022 at 2:54 PM, CindyC said:

I would like to see an increase in my pension. Us Legacy workers put our time in. We don't deserve to be thrown aside.

This is one area that won’t get anything because every time they did something for the retired in the contract they would complain it wasn’t enough. I had this as first hand experience back in the 2015 contract they gave small Christmas bonuses to retired workers. 250 if you were still alive, 125 if it went to a widow. My grandfather passed back in 2013 and retired in 88. My grandmother was fairly active in the retirement UAW community and after a good while considered herself to be retired from ford. It was rather an odd point of view but whatever well after my grandfather passed she did nothing but whine & complain about how ford doesn’t do enough for old people. So I’m 2015 i told her about the bonus she was furious and complained they could just keep it, 125 dollars was a joke. Then I’m 2019 they took it away and she cried some more 

so while i understand that retired should get some form Of inflation protection, no matter what they do it’ll be wrong and not enough as a result i digress 

• 2 weeks later...

Ford does not give in to negotiations or offer concessions because it's the right thing to do. Proof of that is they are paying new hires $15 when entry level jobs elsewhere are paying $18, $19 and even $21 an hr. It's a discrace and we are partly to blame because we refused to fight for what was right. WE SETTLED. They give in because the UAW demands it and because of the threat of strike. Going into all the contracts in the 2000's the Autos "KNEW" there would be no strike so all we did was give concessions. 4 contracts in a row we demanded little and just gave back. If retires get anything it's because we fight for it. If we get rid of two tier it's because we fight for it. If we get healthcare in retirement back, for the new hires, it's because we fight for it. It's time to make our stand.

Tell your local president and your plant chairman we are not going to vote yes on anything less than what John Deere got, plus we want retirement healthcare for new hires. No more "It's the best we can do. We send them back until they get a good contract.

OUR TIME IS NOW, no more payoffs, no more compromises. WE MUST DEMAND A GOOD CONTRACT FOR ALL.     

• Like 1

I wish the membership had the intestinal fortitude to walk out in September if a satisfactory contract is not reached. This is probably the best time to get what the members are asking for, however, the union and company knows the members haven’t united in over 40 years. Why is the UAW not screaming for Farley removal. What a horrendous quarter. Are there still thousands of trucks parked at the Kentucky race track? 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yes. The nascar subreddit occasionally will post about it. 

Chicago uses the new assembly process also. Contract truck drivers with three unit trailers to transport units to one of 5 storeage lots. Allow units to sit long eough to receive the chips, scratch's and dents then load the units back on the three unit trailers to be moved to another storeage lot or back to the plant the plant. Then the new production process starts over every shift. But thanks to orders we have sold all Police/Service units we can produce. for the 2023 model year.  Now there isn't much thought of delivery dates. 

FTT is still being generated for all the pretty charts and visitors. I suggested we keep a tally of FTISL... first time in storage lot

• Sad 1

They need to fight to bring back pensions for everyone that hired in after 2007.

They don't have it, nor is there medical disability retirement for the severely injured with legit disability ratings.

People with literal broken backs and blown hips and knees are killing themselves at these plants because SSDI keeps denying them and appeal wait times put them in poverty.
They gave up, sucked it up and returned to Ford's lines.

They had no choice or lose everything on the poverty wages given by UniCare.

They can hardly walk to their vehicles at shift end, and FMLA does nothing financially. Only protects their job. 

There are no incentives to work for the Big 3.

$15.00 an hour to start, no pension/medical disability retirement and no healthcare after retirement!!!

What a joke! Why destroy your body for a measly 401(k)? You can get that anywhere. 

Letting the pensions go was the worst thing the UAW Members ever did. 

It screwed the next generation of workers and destroyed morale.

Do the right thing and demand Pensions return!!!!

This is ridiculous! 

• 4 weeks later...