2023 Motor Trend SUV of the Year

rperez817

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Crossovers offer AWD and a higher seating position that makes some feel safer.

That's true, but for others, those same features are less desirable. For example, my wife prefers the lower seating position and the RWD layout of my Tesla Model S compared to her Mustang Mach-E First Edition. But she is more than willing to accept those compromises for the dazzling styling inside and out of the Mustang Mach-E (which was a finalist but not winner in last year's SUVOTY), something that's very rare among the current crop of crossovers and SUV.

22 hours ago, T-dubz said:

The whole SUV of the year category is messed up. As mentioned the ioniq is a hatchback, but how did some of these others make the list? The wagoneer has a nice interior but looks like dogshit. Same goes for the kias and the Cadillac. The Nissan looks like a giant jellybean. I guess looks don’t factor much in this award?

I think anything new in the category in the calendar year qualifies.

There are basically no hatchbacks-because the market (for the most part) doesn't define them as such. Younger buyers will have no recognition of a "hatchback".  Just like they call limited (release LPs) "vinyl" because that is what they are now called.