Confusion on pro trailer backup assist and tow package

blackduty

So, this new order guide has me confused! So does my build sheet.

So, on page 2 of the order guide, you see this:

— Pro Trailer Hitch Assist (J2 availability on all trim levels within Tow Technology Package) – Feature automatically backs the truck up and aligns the conventional hitch ball to the trailer receiver.

So, that's not available until J2 on all trim levels within Tow Technology Package. 

But, if you order a Lariat, you can get that on J1. But if i'm reading this all correctly, if you add the Ultimate package, it comes with the Tow Technology Package. So, technically that would push a Lariat with the Ultimate Package out until J2 if i'm reading that correctly?

And if i have looked at this enough, i see you can't take out the Tow Technology Package from the Lariat Ultimate Package. 

So to me, that would mean a Lariat is J1, but a Lariat Ultimate Package is J2?

It's confusing, because i've saw some guys on forums and facebook say it's J1. My build sheet for my order says Job 1 on it, with a 10 for Priority code. But i'm thinking technically, it should be a J2 since the Ultimate Package comes equipped with the Tow Technology Package. So, should my dealer really have put a 99 for Priority code? I just want to make sure they did things right on their end, not that it get's messed up in the orders, and pushed out because there's something keyed in wrong. 

2 hours ago, blackduty said:

So, this new order guide has me confused! So does my build sheet.

So, on page 2 of the order guide, you see this:

— Pro Trailer Hitch Assist (J2 availability on all trim levels within Tow Technology Package) – Feature automatically backs the truck up and aligns the conventional hitch ball to the trailer receiver.

So, that's not available until J2 on all trim levels within Tow Technology Package. 

But, if you order a Lariat, you can get that on J1. But if i'm reading this all correctly, if you add the Ultimate package, it comes with the Tow Technology Package. So, technically that would push a Lariat with the Ultimate Package out until J2 if i'm reading that correctly?

And if i have looked at this enough, i see you can't take out the Tow Technology Package from the Lariat Ultimate Package. 

So to me, that would mean a Lariat is J1, but a Lariat Ultimate Package is J2?

It's confusing, because i've saw some guys on forums and facebook say it's J1. My build sheet for my order says Job 1 on it, with a 10 for Priority code. But i'm thinking technically, it should be a J2 since the Ultimate Package comes equipped with the Tow Technology Package. So, should my dealer really have put a 99 for Priority code? I just want to make sure they did things right on their end, not that it get's messed up in the orders, and pushed out because there's something keyed in wrong. 

your confusing Pro Trailer Hitch Assist (a new feature) with Pro Trailer Backup Assist (included in Tow Technology Package)

tow technology is job 1. But if you also want to add Pro Trailer Hitch Assist then you will be job 2 

20 hours ago, steaknpotatoes said:

your confusing Pro Trailer Hitch Assist (a new feature) with Pro Trailer Backup Assist (included in Tow Technology Package)

tow technology is job 1. But if you also want to add Pro Trailer Hitch Assist then you will be job 2 

I sure hope it's just a case of me being confused, and misinterpreting things. I guess i'm a bit concerned on it, because i see guys posting screen shots of their emails from Ford that their order has been accepted, and i haven't seen anything yet on mine. And when i look at my order summary, it was 10/27/2022  17:24:51 so it was placed relatively early. And yesterday (10/30/2022) i did go on ford's website and did the chat thing, and spoke to someone, and they confirmed they received my order, off of the order number, and sales code. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 6:01 AM, George C said:

Has anyone actually set up their back up assist? 
I don’t know of anyone who uses that feature..

I've talked to a few people who use it.  As an employee, I trialed it a few years ago and hated it... but I have decades of experience backing up trailers.  I tried to show my wife how to use it, and was failing miserably.  She's figuring it out on her own.

I never set it up either. No need. Never met anyone that has. I will say the Smart Hitch assist is intriguing if it works slick.

My current tailgate camera is a huge help aligning the ball but if that Smart feature really works well it could be nice. Even with the camera it takes 2-3 shots to line it perfect sometimes. Problem is thats Job 2 and Im way too impatient. ?

On 11/1/2022 at 12:12 AM, River Wild said:

Have it on our f150 and and my f150 work truck. Never set it up and no intentions to.  Completely worthless feature/option imo. 

It might not be a worthless feature for co-drivers/spouses that may need to backup RVs in an emergency situation.  I'll teach my wife how to backup the RV but will also see if the hi-tech feature is a better option for the 'rare' occasion where I am not the one doing the backing up.

22 hours ago, Monoman said:

It might not be a worthless feature for co-drivers/spouses that may need to backup RVs in an emergency situation.  I'll teach my wife how to backup the RV but will also see if the hi-tech feature is a better option for the 'rare' occasion where I am not the one doing the backing up.

One could argue that if you have lots of room and time.  A busy boat ramp and that little knob probably won't cut it.  I'm old school I guess. Just takes a little practice. Lucky for me, my better half can back up with the best of them. Always cracks me up when we are fishing and guys ask ,"does she have a sister?" or "where did you find her and are there anymore like her?"   

• Like 1

At peak times  during salmon season, you need to be on your "A" game as there are hundreds of boats launching and/or recovering.  If you have to rely on the knob to back up, you're not ready.  Most of our facilities are old and small for todays bigger trucks and boats and the sheer numbers. It can be a total Charlie Foxtrot at times. You don't have time to think about it, you just do.  4 or 5 rigs at a time, backing down the ramp in the dark mirror to mirror sometimes.  Fun? Not really but it's what it is if you want to fill the freezer.  I have yet to see anyone use the feature in a situation like this...  Maybe I should try it on our 150 and play with it and see how it works if I take the time to set it up as I believe it needs some stickers and calibration to make it go.     

34 minutes ago, River Wild said:

At peak times  during salmon season, you need to be on your "A" game as there are hundreds of boats launching and/or recovering.  If you have to rely on the knob to back up, you're not ready.  Most of our facilities are old and small for todays bigger trucks and boats and the sheer numbers. It can be a total Charlie Foxtrot at times. You don't have time to think about it, you just do.  4 or 5 rigs at a time, backing down the ramp in the dark mirror to mirror sometimes.  Fun? Not really but it's what it is if you want to fill the freezer.  I have yet to see anyone use the feature in a situation like this...  Maybe I should try it on our 150 and play with it and see how it works if I take the time to set it up as I believe it needs some stickers and calibration to make it go.     

It’s not for that type of situation,  it’s for people who occasionally tow a small trailer or pleasure boat to the lake a few times a year.

On 11/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, River Wild said:

I will completely disagree with this.  If a person learns and practices on the "knob", they will be as competent as you are on the steering wheel.

As an employee I trialed the system while it was still in development.  I hated it, and actually backed a trailer through an S Course not using the system... but I have decades of experience backing up trailers.  I've seen people do an awesome job with the knob.  I tried to show my wife how to use the knob, but it was clear, she was learning better without my "help".  She has a ways to go to get proficient, but it works for her.