Oakville Assembly Plant - Explorer & Aviator EV's

1 hour ago, Trader 10 said:

Absolutely not! It’s up to the voters to educate themselves before the election regarding candidates and referendums. The election process is supposed to be fair and impartial. Would you be OK with one of the candidates on the ballot having an endorsement next to his/her name?

Not the same as electing candidates but I see your point.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The 55 mph speed limit and 150 hp V8s crippled by smog equipment might disagree,

Even the CAFE requirements, and 55 MPH speed limit had a backlash. CAFE led or accelerated the change from cars to trucks, vans and SUVs. The 55 MPH speed limit stimulated the CB radio craze of the 70s (yes, guilty as charged, I had one) and jump started the radar detector business (again, guilty). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

This feels different this time though

I think everyone lives in the moment.  The late 1970s and first few years of the 1980s really sucked.  I remember there was talk of no more V-8 engines, all non-truck vehicles were going to be front wheel drive.  In 2008 we were told that pickup sales have reached their peak and Ford and GM were converting their large car/truck plants to small cars.  Less than 10 years later, those same small car plants were being converted back to trucks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Footballfan said:

You kind of made my point.  The double nickel was jettisoned and V8s had the muscle again after voter and customer backlash. 

Ironically, traffic deaths dropped significantly after the 55 mph limit was removed 

Gee, I wonder why…….LOL

EFi on V8s with overdrive transmissions now meant fuel efficient cruising at 70 mph or higher. Higher power and better fuel economy meant that owners had their cake and eating it too.

Edited by jpd80

8 hours ago, Footballfan said:

You kind of made my point.  The double nickel was jettisoned and V8s had the muscle again after voter and customer backlash. 

Eventually yes but only because automakers figured out how to control emissions better and the gas crisis disappeared.  And the government still forced those mandates on us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Eventually yes but only because automakers figured out how to control emissions better and the gas crisis disappeared.  And the government still forced those mandates on us.

And if anything the engines we have today are far better what they where 50+ years ago also. 

• Like 4

On 11/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, Footballfan said:

As we have seen in the past, mandates can be made and mandates can be broken.  As we have also seen in the past, government nor companies can shove down the throats of customers things they do not want.  

Good points, we will all see how this situation plays out. 

On 11/1/2022 at 6:20 PM, Trader 10 said:

Wow! I wonder how they ever got this on the ballot. Nothing like giving reasons to vote yes built into the referendum question. It should have ended after “revenue stream”. Only in Illinois…..

I am thankful every day that I no longer live in that state.

So getting back to Oakville building electric versions of Explorer and Aviator, maybe the first few years result in strong sales that don’t directly conquest Chicago’s ICE production and sales, that would mean a time period where Ford grows sales from other brands, could there be a big in rush like that before existing Explorer buyers transition to a BEV version? or is that a unlikely assumption?

I’m thinking it’s a similar situation to current Lightning buyer profile with 70% conquest rate….

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

So getting back to Oakville building electric versions of Explorer and Aviator, maybe the first few years result in strong sales that don’t directly conquest Chicago’s ICE production and sales, that would mean a time period where Ford grows sales from other brands, could there be a big in rush like that before existing Explorer buyers transition to a BEV version? or is that a unlikely assumption?

I’m thinking it’s a similar situation to current Lightning buyer profile with 70% conquest rate….

I think it depends on market penetration of BEVs...if there isn't much competition out there for a product, people will go with your product...sorta like the Lightning, where there is only the Rivian Pickup to compete against for now. 

40 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I think it depends on market penetration of BEVs...if there isn't much competition out there for a product, people will go with your product...sorta like the Lightning, where there is only the Rivian Pickup to compete against for now. 

Correct, Ford doesn’t know exactly how many annual buyers have in these new markets, all they can do is test the water and see what the feedback is from interested buyers. This all goes back to what a akirby  warned  about ages ago regarding market penetration, sure Ford has 200k reservations and orders for F150 but how many future annual orders are beyond that and, will those buyer prefer an Explorer over an F150?
When you introduce multiple BEVs, do the same buyers dump one and take up the other?

Eg, someone buys a Mach E but then trades in on a Lightning, are we seeing the same group of EV buyers swapping between choices?

Its hard to know so as a manufacturer, Ford has to test the market and see what’s out there. If the answer is less sales depth than expected, there’s going to be some big recalibration of projects. I’m not convinced that the majority of Ford’s buyers are completely sold on its BEVs, heck, it’s dealers are sceptical of a future when the manufacturer struggles to make 7,000 vehicles a month but want a $1.2 million investment from each of them…..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Eg, someone buys a Mach E but then trades in on a Lightning, are we seeing the same group of EV buyers swapping between choices?

I think Blue Oval Forums member sullynd did that. That group is dwarfed by the segment of customers who have never owned a BEV before, though. 

When upcoming Explorer BEV and Aviator BEV is available for retail sale in a few years, there will of course be some customers who trade in another Ford BEV such as Mustang Mach-E for it. But the majority of customers for that product are expected to be those who are new to BEV overall, including customers who currently own an ICE powered Explorer or Aviator.

Larger electric vehicles are always a good bet to increase combined sales and I hope this is the case for Ford. Many folks buying their first new BEV will appreciate the opportunity to choose between F150, Mach E or Explorer, I think it’s a winning combination especially if Expedition joins the mix.

• Like 3