2022 Navigator - Questions on new vehicle and roof grooves

Navigator21

Hello AlL,

First post - new to the board. You all have a very helpful forum here. 

My situation: I took possession of my 22 Navigator Reserve last week which I ordered in March, and I was very happy to pick up the vehicle. I ordered the vehicle from a dealer 100+ miles away from my location. The vehicle has several cosmetic issues and I'd like to know if your vehicles have similar issues or if I happened to receive a vehicle with some atypical issues and also the best way to resolve these issues.

Background: I did an initial inspection and test drive before I took possession of the vehicle and didn't notice anything major. 

Issues: As a I began my drive home, I noticed the steering wheel had some indentations (afternoon sunlight made this clear) and a few scratches on the center wheel cover (I believe the cover is for the airbag). Also, the leather is cracked on the outside of the wheel that connects the top portion of leather to the center of the wheel. Then when I got home I noticed the rear panel between the passenger wheel and the back of the vehicle was a bit loose and sticking a bit, note: the panel on the D/S is secure and flush with the other parts. There is also a scratch on the plastic near the heads up display. The steering wheel issues and dash scratch are visible every time I drive, so I wish they weren't there. Are these issues common or should I pursue a fix?

Lastly, when I was washing my car, I noticed the ridge (not sure of technical name) on the P/S of the roof ends about halfway in length compared to the other ridges extend almost the full length of the roof. Does anyone know why? The 2021 Navigator's and some 22's I've seen have full length ridges on the roof, is this a manufacturing defect or is there a reason for the asymmetrical roof ridge on the P/S?

A summary of the vehicle issues:

1. Scratches and indentations on steering wheel cover - Photos attached - Steer wheel cover - scratch.png and indentation.png.
  2. Cracked leather on steering wheel - photo attached - Steer wheel - cracks and II.png
  3. Scratch on dashboard near heads up display - no photo attached, doesn't photograph well. Easy to see in the sun.
  4. Loose rear exterior panel - Photo of panel sticking out  - PS Rear panel.png
  5. Odd length passenger side roof ridge - Photo attached - Roof ridge.png

What are your thoughts are these issues? Do you all have a similar quality on your vehicles? 

I'm a bit disappointed, as I was really looking forward to this vehicle and had high expectations given the price and expectations after test driving a 21 without any noticeable issues. Overall, the vehicle drives great and does what it is suppose to do. Just looks like some parts got damaged or are defective.

I've had three Fords and two Lincolns and not had issues like this in the past.

Thanks and I appreciate any input / thoughts fellow 22 Navigator owners can share. 

PS Rear Panel.png

Roof Ridge.png

Steering Wheel - cracks.png

Steering wheel cover - sratch.png

Steering wheel - cracks II.png

Steering whe cover indention.png

I would not hesitate to bring all my concerns and questions to my Lincoln dealer service representative attention.  When I buy a new vehicle I nearly always make a list and get with my dealer service rep with it within a very few weeks to get it resolved.  

49 minutes ago, Navigator21 said:

Agreed. 

I spoke with dealer: the manager said the two most recent 22s on the lot have the same roof as I do but the 21 has five full length ridges. His guess was an engineering change of some sort for the partial P/S ridge.  

Has to be. Hard to imagine that got messed up somehow. Maybe it's the great roof ridge shortage. 

19 hours ago, Navigator21 said:

Agreed. 

I spoke with dealer: the manager said the two most recent 22s on the lot have the same roof as I do but the 21 has five full length ridges. His guess was an engineering change of some sort for the partial P/S ridge.  

When you spoke with your dealer did you address your other issues?

LHB - The sales manager stated he passed the vehicle issues to his service team and service should be in touch soon with options to resolve the issues. My main concern is that dealer is 3 hrs away. There is a closer local Lincoln dealer I may contact. 

Also - Since my original post, my D/S multi-contour seat stopped working. That issue is more pressing for me. Have any of you see one seat stop working? If so are there any steps I can take to try to reset the seat? 

3 hours ago, Navigator21 said:

LHB - The sales manager stated he passed the vehicle issues to his service team and service should be in touch soon with options to resolve the issues. My main concern is that dealer is 3 hrs away. There is a closer local Lincoln dealer I may contact. 

Also - Since my original post, my D/S multi-contour seat stopped working. That issue is more pressing for me. Have any of you see one seat stop working? If so are there any steps I can take to try to reset the seat? 

Personally I would not be dealing with a dealer 3 hours (one way?) away for a new car with a 4 year factory warranty … I would probably establish a relationship with a closer Lincoln dealership to service my Navigator.

My 2018 Black Label ( first year for the current model ) spent many days over several trips replacing one of the headlight assemblies multiple times before they figured out that the headlight assembly with it’s computer was not the issue but a headlight control module (computer) elsewhere on the network.  My dealer is about 20 miles plus the Black Label includes free valet pickup and delivery with loaner during warrenty period made the situation very tolerable.  During the first couple of months I also had them address misalignment of side panel on console and fastener/alignment of one of the wheel well shields.

I have had new cars with very few issues but the more complex the vehicle and if it’s first year for ‘all’ new version I expect more issues.  Today all vehicles are all a rolling local network of dozens of computers creating, in many cases, misleading symptoms which can cause several trips to the dealership to resolve.

You said your seat stopped working.  You may want to check it’s fuse (would be quick easy fix if that is the problem and a new fuse doesn’t blow too)

These are my thoughts & comments, but not knowing your specific situation, location etc thy be completely or partly off point.

I’m sure once you resolve your current issues you are going to really enjoy your new ride.

I am with you. I reached out to the local dealer yesterday and have an appointment on the books. The good news is the service manager from the seller dealer had already ordered one part to replace which I deferred, hoping the local dealer can resolve all of these issues. I look forward to getting all these issues resolve so I can enjoy the vehicle.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Apparently there is still an unexplained roof ridge shortage though... no one at the dealer knows why the ridges changed, but hey I got at least three people at the dealer climbing up on the roofs to see how many ridges a navigator has.

Do you know where the fuses are?

• 2 months later...

akirby. - thanks for the response. 

There are nearby Lincoln Dealers.  Nearest one is one hour drive. 

Do you think a Ford Dealer would be a good next step? I made an appointment at the local Ford dealer and then canceled as the local Lincoln Dealer stated the seat module would be in and replaced shortly, then two weeks went by.